Epia M10000 Heatsink Removal? How?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epia M10000 Heatsink Removal? How?

I'm trying to remove the heatsink on my m10000 to put a little artic silver inbetween. However I just see these two white tabs that are I can push down on but nothing seems to happen. How does it come off?
    BossTone74

It may be attached with an epoxy based thermal compount already....

Are you having heat problems now? if the answer is no I recommend leaveing it alone.

Or increase airflow (add a fan or replace existing fan with larger)
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Thanks for the reply....
      No heat problems now, just trying to make sure I don't have any...just got a new board. Just being careful.
      BossTone74

Comment

Good to hear, I have bad luck sometimes taking things apart (I tend to break stuff with my hands) that is the tought behind the advice
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

The two main methods to removing heatsinks with epoxy that I've heard of are:

Heating with a blow dryer or preferably a heat gun. Heat it for several seconds and the epoxy gets soft. The heatsink should come off.

Cooling in the freezer for a while. Maybe 1/2 hour in the freezer and the epoxy gets hard and shrinks, the heatsink comes off easily.

Second method seems safer to me, but from what I've heard both methods work equally well. I've used the second method. It works.

Good luck!

Comment

Ok...
            Now back to my original thought? Should I take it off and put some artic silver in between there?
            Or should I just leave it?
            BossTone74

Comment

leave it.

Comment

you might risk the chance of ripping part of the chip... I'll say leave it. they will not cover that under warranty.

Comment

leave it
                  Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                  Mods: Yep
                  Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

I wouldn't worry about breaking anything. It's pretty simple and safe as far as mods go. But, yes, you will void your warranty.

I don't think there's any compelling reason to go through the trouble, though. Heat isn't really a problem with the M10000. Trust me. Where I live, the highs are usually in the upper 90's and my car feels like over 150 almost every day and I've never had any overheating issues.

Comment

Leave it! It ain't broke.
                      Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                      http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
                        Leave it! It ain't broke.
                        to quote another person (i cant remember ur name sorry)
                        If it aint broke, TWEAK it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X