Ignition Power Wire Location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Power Wire Location

Hey guys i need some help... I have a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, I need to locate the power wire to the ignition... whats the best and easiest way to do this?
    Debating on installing a carpc in my Jeep.....

Drive down to AutoZone and have them show you. I'm sure they have a Chilton guide on the shelf that would help you locate it.

Comment

are you wanting the wire before or after the ignition switch? you should be able to search online for the wiring diagrams for the radio and get the ignition voltage wire from there if it would be any easier and still accomplish what you want to do...

Comment

Accessory - blue/black
        Ignition - black/white

These are the wire colors I'm listing at ignition switch for a US 99 Mitsu Eclipse. If you live in the UK this might not be accurate. These are the thicker gauge wires that run out of your ignition cylinder. Pretty easy to get at. Just take off your underdash panels, if I remember correct going to need a 7 or 8 mm socket and I think there's a couple of bolts to pull out. Don't quote me on that though.

Comment

alright thanks... its goin b4 the ignition, installing a switch that has to be turned on in order for the car to start

Comment

the easiest way for that is to remove the surround on the steering column and test each of the wires to the ignition barrel when you find the permanent live that is the one you are after

Comment

I think what you're looking for is the crank wire. I'd recommend getting under there with a volt meter. Crank wire will throw +12v only when the key is in the start position. If you're looking for starter kill this is the wire you want to use unless you want to kill all power running to the ignition switch (which also kills the accessory and ignition positions of the key) in which case use the always hot running into the switch.

Comment

yes i want to kill everything when that thing is off... because when im using nething it'll be on, but once im outta the car ill turn it off as a security feature, since i dont have a fancy alarm yet

Comment

ok thanks everyone... here is the completed project... when switch is active everything works normally, when off turning key makes the car try to start but its unable to start, sounds like its continually turning over but not igniting... also when the car is running and u turn the switch to off the car dies... its EXCELLENT and thanks for all the help

Straight On

Blurry Side Pic

Comment

Working...
                  X