Iopener for a car PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iopener for a car PC?

I have an old Iopener. I've always wanted to do something with it. Has anybody tried using one, will it work? In case you don't know, the iopener is a self contained(?), all in one PC with a flat panel display. it is about 4 inches thick when torn apart. It will boot windows, with some hacks. They sold for about 99.00. They are now out of business, but I still have one.

So if anybody knows if it will work, let me know.....

Thanks
    EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
    Installed & Working....
    Custom enclosures
    Newbie Guide

Originally posted by kmcniece
    I have an old Iopener. I've always wanted to do something with it. Has anybody tried using one, will it work? In case you don't know, the iopener is a self contained(?), all in one PC with a flat panel display. it is about 4 inches thick when torn apart. It will boot windows, with some hacks. They sold for about 99.00. They are now out of business, but I still have one.

So if anybody knows if it will work, let me know.....

Thanks
    I have a few of the hard drive hack kits and a couple of dc power supplies that plug into the cigarette lighter, or you can hard wire into your car's electrical system. If you are interested in these parts, I will let them go cheap. Shoot me a PM.

Comment

What is in the Hard Drive Kit?
      Installed & Working....
      Custom enclosures
      Newbie Guide

Comment

i thought about this as well but quickly ran into some problems,
        1) windows xp doesn't like the io, 100mhz (or 133) processor, 1 ram slot (128 easily 256 is a little harder). you would have to do the amd k6 mod (up to 550 mhz) and 256 mb of ram
        2) video drivers are weird, not that big of a problem but it is there
        3) expansion, you only have 1 usb port so you have to run a hub, and then all your accessories have to be usb (not too bad with gps and wifi)
        4) video and audio output, unless you want to use that crappy 10" screen with bad refresh rates you will need to do the vga mod (easy but requires some soldering) and for audio only the v1-3 (i believe maybe some v4s) you can get RCA out easy but then you cant easily do the processor hack and if you have a v5 then RCA out is tough (im not even sure if it has been done) so you will need a usb audio card (another usb device)
        5) power is 19v, so you would have to get a power adapter either from motorcity or ebay, and this means no itps or shutdown controller

if you want to tackle all those problems go for it, i tried and quickly decided to go the full computer way, and the hard drive kit consists of a mounting plate and the special reverse pinned cable that is 7" long

lots of io info at www.linux-hacker.net
        Carputer Progress:
        [!!'-------] 25%
        have to fabricate screen mount

have to start over, lilliput died, 1st laptop broke, have to sell the 2nd one. damn

Comment

I agree with mushupork5 100%.

I have 2 Iopeners, they are cool as a simple kitchen computer, but I would never use it as a carputer. For one, I agree with mushupork5 - the screen is dual scan and SUX unless you are looking right at it. The video drivers I think are just trident - if you need them I can send them to you. Another problem was the BIOS (if yours was unhacked) basically there were 2 ways of doing the hack one in software which I think involved getting a flash utility uploaded to the Iopener along with a new BIN, and the other hardware (chipping the epoxy off the BIOS to get it out) - I did mine both ways and it was a pain in both cases - though the hardware method is a bit more fun

If you have one, I'd say hack it if it will not cost too much and you can use it, but don't use it in a car - the screen is just too poor quality. Getting it up to snuff would mean spending more cash that it would be worth.
          "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
          http://www.eff.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Supermike
            I agree with mushupork5 100%.

I have 2 Iopeners, they are cool as a simple kitchen computer, but I would never use it as a carputer. For one, I agree with mushupork5 - the screen is dual scan and SUX unless you are looking right at it. The video drivers I think are just trident - if you need them I can send them to you. Another problem was the BIOS (if yours was unhacked) basically there were 2 ways of doing the hack one in software which I think involved getting a flash utility uploaded to the Iopener along with a new BIN, and the other hardware (chipping the epoxy off the BIOS to get it out) - I did mine both ways and it was a pain in both cases - though the hardware method is a bit more fun

If you have one, I'd say hack it if it will not cost too much and you can use it, but don't use it in a car - the screen is just too poor quality. Getting it up to snuff would mean spending more cash that it would be worth.
            I used to hack these and ebay them when the demand was high. True, the stn screen is junk, forget video playback.
            they were perfect for a quicky internet terminal using a usb ethernet adapter.
            most v5s did not have the good sound chip, and goo on the bios chip socket is always fun, but a little time and careful use of an xacto knife works well.
            I sold a lot of the auto adapters, and they made decent gps units, but not much else.
            win98 seemed best. the stock units have either a 200 or 266mhz. processor, not 100-133 as stated above. Still too slow for any real apps.
            back in the day, a hacked unit would sell for over 250.00, now if they go for 100, thats a lot.
            the hack kits I have include the hard drive mount, ide cable, ps2 splitter, and the slim cooling fan.
            need 9.5mm high notebook drive, a reflashed bios chip, and about an hour or so to do the hack. can add a slim optical drive to the unit, as the ide is dual channel. case cant fit the slim optical drive, but double sided foam tape will do in a pinch. looks bad, but works.
            A Gateway Connected Touchpad is a more viable option for hacking, as they have larger cpu, touch screen, and a more user friendly case for hacking. still stn screen, but you can do more with them.
            personally, hacking an Iopener for car use is not really worth it. You can pick up a decent used laptop with tft screen and a lot more current options for 300.00, and still remain portable. Epia based systems are not too expensive anymore either.
            Good luck!

Comment

I'm sold!
              It will remain in the box for another purpose. Thanks for the input. I was afraid it might not work.

I will look into another option.

Thanks for your input, everyone.
              Installed & Working....
              Custom enclosures
              Newbie Guide

Comment

Working...
              X