inquiry on HDD's life on the road!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inquiry on HDD's life on the road!!!

i want an honest to goodness answer, please! have you had any problem on your hard disk while using it in your car (in normal conditions)? would the HDD still have its normal life span if used in the car? have you had any other problems on ur mp3cars related to hdd?

i also need suggestions and infos on putting a suspension system on HDD's for mp3 cars

Ok,
    Hard drive's should not be mounted vertically. <----------------> Because inside hard drive's are rotating discs.
    There is a little magnet that hovers over the disc to read it. The Magnet is about .5mm (or less) over the disc. If the magnet crashes on to the disc, the disc willl have a small scratch. That scratch will make problems. When you mount a Hard Drive Horizontilly ^ If it gets hit the magnet will move up and down and not hit the disk.

That picture shows the magnet on the disc

How hard drives get screwed up

[This message has been edited by ZyKlon X (edited 01-17-2000).]

Comment

So should it look like:

** or ************

???

[This message has been edited by madcow (edited 01-17-2000).]
      -Jay

Comment

so what dyu suggest?...so is it safe to have hdd in cars? how 'bout putting suspension? suggestions please.

Comment

I think Zylon meant you shouldn't mount it horizontally.. and you should mount it vertically.. on its side..

Buy a quantum.. they have shock protection.. I've been running mine for over 6 months and it hasn't missed a beat.. I've mounted it on its side.. but haven't made any shock protected mount for it or anything.. I'll just take it back to the store if it stuffs up..

I guess the life span would be reduced.. to what I don't know..

Comment

inmytree and zylon, guys pls concur!...ur confusing us....zyklons 1st statement: "Hard drive's should not be mounted vertically"....an obvious contrasting statemenet to that of inmy tree.."I think Zylon meant you shouldn't mount it horizontally.. and you should mount it vertically.. on its side.." !!! which is which???

Comment

I work for a computer company and we did a little experiment witht some crappy (540MB) drives. We'd drop them from about 5ft. If they landed on their side...they no longer worked. But if they landed flat...no problem. So I would mount the drive horizontally.

Comment

Old El Paso: Was this experiment performed with the disks spinning or not?

If the disks were not spinning then it is understandable that the horizontally dropped drives would survive as there would be no scraping of the disk surface as the disk head would land flat on the disk surface.

Comment

The best bet is to use a laptop HD. These drives are made to be bounced around. They are slightly more pricely but its better than replacing your drive. Murphys law states that if it can go wrong it will go wrong. And all it would take is one pot-hole at the correct or, shall I say incorrect time. And your MP3 player becomes a MP3 stop.
                  You may notice that most new Desktop HD are labled to handel a X# of G's. This rating is with out the disk spinning and with the heads in the parked position. Laptop drives are rated while spinning (be sure to verify this with the drive you buy). The only difference is that the Laptop drives are smaller and have a smaller pinout. Be sure to buy a mobil to desktop IDE converter ($15). Everything else should be exactly the same.

Comment

Not spinning...

Comment

umm...ok I am gonna try again

I think I got mixed up.

Its like this

Comment

That's what I thought. Now, does everyone agree with this tactic? Seemed like mixed results on the replies...

------------------
                        -Jay
                        -Jay

Comment

I think the mounting position (vertical) plus a good anti-shock system can prevent almost any problem. I made a anti-shock with two pieces of sponge. They are similar to the pads we see inside boxes of CD-ROMs, HDs, etc. The two pieces are joined making a sandwich with the drive inside. So I mount this entire thing vertically in the 5 1/4" space existing on the case. (Can't mount in the original location because of the larger size after placing the pads) If you want to grab it against lateral impacts you can tie the disk by its lateral holes in elastics, tied in the holes of the 5 1/4" rack.

This way:

------------------------|-------------------
                          sponge -------> **(|)** <------- sponge
                          disk -------(>)**
                          **( )**
                          **(|)**
                          ------------------------|-------------------
                          ^
                          |___Elastic

Comment

Sorry guys,

My drawing got screwed up...

Here it is...

elastic
                            ---|-------
                            **(|)** <---- sponge
                            **(|)**
                            **(|)<------- disk
                            **(|)**
                            ---|-------
                            elastic

Comment

Its obvious which way to mount it after you realise how it works.. and I think zylon did a pretty good explaination of that with his diagrams..

You mount it on its side so that when there is a shock the disk head doesn't crash into the hard disk.. simple..

There is absolutely NO NEED to get a laptop hard drive.. this is just a waste of money.. get a quantum.. they withstand 400G's when off and 100 when on.. they are tough!

Comment

Working...
                              X