why is my sound so quiet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is my sound so quiet?

So, I'm setting up this spare computer for in car use.

Whenever I play a music file, such as an .mp3 or .ogg, the sound is fine.

When I play a DVD or a divx file or any video for that matter, the sound is VERY quiet, and I have to turn my amp up really loud in order to hear it (I'm testing it inside and using my RCA 4.1 stereo amp for now)

This is mystifying me, to as why sometimes its loud, other times its not. I've tried several video cards, and all kinds of stuff. Is there anything I can do?

The volume control in windows is turned all the way up, is there some type of extra program I could run to equalize all the sounds or something?

Thanks
    Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
    Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
    In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Make shure ur wave slider is all the way up and what r u useing to play dvds
    2-15" ILO lcd w/DVI
    6800 gt Duel DVI out
    p4 1.6ghz flex atx board
    1gb 400 ram
    120gb(2-60gb raid) sata hd
    2-60gb hotswap
    WIN2K Pro SP2
    M.A.M.E. w/2,300 games
    CARPuter info

Comment

yes, all of the sliders are all of the way up, and I'm using NVDVD or wmplayer to play DVDs, they both sound the same.
      In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

When you say u playing dvd does that mean the original dvd? or one that is download from internet?

Comment

and check your dvd software and see if the volume is all the way up.

Comment

it does it with original DVDs and DIVX movies that I have ripped my self.
            and for the last time, ALL THE VOLUME CONTROLS ARE ALL THE WAY UP
            In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Originally posted by lstrunk
              for the last time, ALL THE VOLUME CONTROLS ARE ALL THE WAY UP
              dont get an attitude just trying to help you out.

Comment

sorry man, I didn't mean to cock an attitude or anything, I'm just getting a bit ****ed off at this stupid thing. I've put a lot of work into it, and now these stupid little problems are holding me back.
                In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Look up the concept of dynamic range, all will be known.
                  [H]4 Life
                  My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                  It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by lstrunk
                    sorry man, I didn't mean to cock an attitude or anything, I'm just getting a bit ****ed off at this stupid thing. I've put a lot of work into it, and now these stupid little problems are holding me back.
                    On some of my setups, somehow my plugs have wiggled lose and will produce a much softer sound. I know this is obvious, but sometimes just pushing it in a little further will help...at least that's my train of thought with my girlfriend...she doesn't like it. (Hee hee)

I've just ran into that problem a couple of times...so check it out
                    BossTone74

Comment

You say you're running 4.1. Have you tried running in 2-ch stereo sound only?

My thinking is perhaps the music is playing in 2-ch sound (50% power per channel) and then movies are playing in 4.1 (20% power per channel). By running in stereo-only and you still have the problem then this will disprove this idea. If everything plays fine then look around for some surround sound volume settings. This will probably be in a different spot then the regular Windows Volume Settings.

Also, do your trouble shooting in WMP for both audio and video. Verify with another program that can do both audio and video.

My two cents.

Derek
                      Progress [||-------]
                      View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                      Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Working...
                      X