Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have a question.....

    I would like to ask a question to all of you.... why is it that the most common set up with mp3car users is the epiaM10000 or similar and the opus power supply.....why arent you using the small form factor 12v cpu's?...is it a cost issue or something im missing?

  • #2
    I use the Opus and the MII10000 cause it works, is simple and kept me from having to use a cap, extra battery, ITPS (sp?) or some other means of getting the same functionality as the Opus. If cost is a factor, most will go with the other methods such as a inverter. It is really cost vs. simplicity.

    The only thing that I would like to have with the Opus is the ability to have a built in choice of start up delay - I want to give the CPU and HDD a chance to cool down (A/C blows on them) before I put the power to them. My current HDD is getting corrupted due to heat + vibration.
    "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
    http://www.eff.org/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Supermike
      I use the Opus and the MII10000 cause it works, is simple and kept me from having to use a cap, extra battery, ITPS (sp?) or some other means of getting the same functionality as the Opus. If cost is a factor, most will go with the other methods such as a inverter. It is really cost vs. simplicity.

      The only thing that I would like to have with the Opus is the ability to have a built in choice of start up delay - I want to give the CPU and HDD a chance to cool down (A/C blows on them) before I put the power to them. My current HDD is getting corrupted due to heat + vibration.
      so ur pc/setup never froze or crashed? so you could play mp3 and gps at the same time w/o hesitation or problems?

      i have a m9000 and everytime i use mediacar w mp3 and mappoint running, it freezes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HybridMike
        why arent you using the small form factor 12v cpu's?...is it a cost issue or something im missing?
        What's a 12v CPU ?
        ,./(0)3

        '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

        [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HybridMike
          I would like to ask a question to all of you.... why is it that the most common set up with mp3car users is the epiaM10000 or similar and the opus power supply.....why arent you using the small form factor 12v cpu's?...is it a cost issue or something im missing?
          The EPIA M10000 (or similar *IS* a small form-factor. ITX, hombre. Do a once you take your foot out of your mouth...
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?



          Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

          Comment


          • #6
            no no what hybrid mike is referring to is the mobo that takes 12v in via a small barrel plug, the mobo itself provides regulation for 5v and 3.3v as well as processor and bus voltages obviously, all you need supply the mobo with is a stable 12v feed.
            see www.cartft.com for pictures

            If I was going to redo my system I would do it this way
            Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by llmask
              so ur pc/setup never froze or crashed? so you could play mp3 and gps at the same time w/o hesitation or problems?

              i have a m9000 and everytime i use mediacar w mp3 and mappoint running, it freezes.
              Uh? I think most people use gps and listen to mp3's at the same time, I know I do! MapPoint in MediaCar was a bit of a resource hog for me, as well, especially if you select the 'pos on road' option or whatever it was called.
              Laidback


              The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by HybridMike
                I would like to ask a question to all of you.... why is it that the most common set up with mp3car users is the epiaM10000 or similar and the opus power supply.....why arent you using the small form factor 12v cpu's?...is it a cost issue or something im missing?
                I'm assuming you're refering to industrial/sbc's? Generally, i think they're avoided for cost, availiblity, and speed, as the cheaper ones are dooog slow (486), and the faster ones are harder to find and stupidly expensive compared to a Epia + Opus. Also, because the epia platform is so visible, with via marketing it heavily, and many, many projects being done with them, most people probably never even consider a sbc/industrial pc. That said, there have been a few over the years that I've seen.
                -Nick

                _____________________________
                Since when is insanity a bad thing?
                www.mp3vw.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mine is an industrial/embedded pc because I bought it five years ago, long before the epia existed.

                  It was very expensive, but that's the cost you pay for getting in early to this hobby.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The EPIA M10000 (or similar *IS* a small form-factor. ITX, hombre. Do a once you take your foot out of your mouth...
                    ah....but I thinik you are the one with the foot in the mouth, its not the size that I was wondering about...even though the PC we use is more powerful and capable of doing more than the epia ones....just do a
                    dimensions: 5.75" x 9.84" x 1.65" <---- with case and power supply and DVD slot loader
                    P4 3.4ghz
                    12v input

                    dimensions epiaM10000 6.7" x 6.7" x ? <---just the motherboard dimensions
                    via 1ghz
                    Opus Power Supply: 3.94" x 4.92" x 2.5"
                    now if you were to put these two items in a case and add peripherials you would be at a much larger size than I am talking about

                    so back to my original question.... is it because the opus that has power monitoring and key start capabilitys that make users favor this setup or is it the price or what....because we are using 12v cpu's and weve designed our cecu's to do the power monitoring and integrate with mobile media center to do the shutdown and key control. I just want to make sure us at Hybrid are on the right track

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well, afaik, the Opus is the only PSU with power monitoring and startup/shutdown controller! and it's still relatively new.
                      The epia is a small, low powered, reasonably priced system board for the features it has. Did you read these boards?
                      Laidback


                      The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HybridMike
                        ah....but I thinik you are the one with the foot in the mouth, its not the size that I was wondering about...even though the PC we use is more powerful and capable of doing more than the epia ones....just do a
                        dimensions: 5.75" x 9.84" x 1.65" <---- with case and power supply and DVD slot loader
                        P4 3.4ghz
                        12v input

                        dimensions epiaM10000 6.7" x 6.7" x ? <---just the motherboard dimensions
                        via 1ghz
                        Opus Power Supply: 3.94" x 4.92" x 2.5"
                        now if you were to put these two items in a case and add peripherials you would be at a much larger size than I am talking about

                        so back to my original question.... is it because the opus that has power monitoring and key start capabilitys that make users favor this setup or is it the price or what....because we are using 12v cpu's and weve designed our cecu's to do the power monitoring and integrate with mobile media center to do the shutdown and key control. I just want to make sure us at Hybrid are on the right track
                        I'm for the P4 and anticipating AMD joining in the future. VIA hasn't had a very bright past with their cpu's, and I'm amazed they are still hanging on. It seems their board chipsets is what's keeping them alive. Personally I've had many problems with their products and plan to stay away from their products.

                        I just recently purchased the Morex 3677 P4 (Intel 845GV chipset) barebone system that has onboard 120w dc, but requires an external ac source. Needless to say I don't have any type of power management and the monitor is showing the power spikes and dips from using an ac to dc inverter. Today I ordered an Opus power supply due to the power management capability of the unit. I'm hoping this will extend the life of my equipment.

                        Something I would like to see is a shock and vibration absorbing mount system to help extend the life of our pc's. Like this, just add a dampening system to it.

                        If you could build your system with the power management, small footprint, low heat output and an affordable price, they will come.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, afaik, the Opus is the only PSU with power monitoring and startup/shutdown controller!
                          Im sure I havent read every messege board....that would take alot of time away from developing free software for everyone.. but I can assure you that the Opus is not the only one that does it.....if you read my post i said that with mobile media center..(our software (MMC)) and OUR cecu control unit, we accomplish the same thing as the opus only it will work on ANY motherboard/power supply.. not just ones with wake on lan or power button headers...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HybridMike
                            Im sure I havent read every messege board....that would take alot of time away from developing free software for everyone.. but I can assure you that the Opus is not the only one that does it.....if you read my post i said that with mobile media center..(our software (MMC)) and OUR cecu control unit, we accomplish the same thing as the opus only it will work on ANY motherboard/power supply.. not just ones with wake on lan or power button headers...
                            Yeah, it will ! But does it do it already? you're asking people why they don't use your controller, when it doesn't even exist yet!!?
                            Laidback


                            The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you could build your system with the power management, small footprint, low heat output and an affordable price, they will come.
                              thats what I wanted to hear!!! thank you...we have accomplished this, you see the dimensions... as for heat that same model comes as a fanless version as well...the model with the fan stays at 75deg

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X