Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB TV tuner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USB TV tuner

    I am thinking about getting a USB TV tuner for my carputer, and I know several people have done this. Obviously, I can't get cable or satellite, so I'd need some kind of antenna somewhere. I'm just trying to see what other people have done, how good of reception, and what kind of hardware people have.

  • #2
    i have the happhauge wintv usb tv tuner with FM radio. FM connected to car radio fm attennea. TV connected to regular rabbit ear anntenea.

    Bottom line -> FM reception superb

    TV reception -> Garbage, i get 2 channels if i'm lucky. I've tried all types of ways to get better reception.

    From what i've heard thru the grape vine. You can buy an amplified anntenea for about $50-$100 (maybe i'm wrong) and your reception will be MAYBE 3-4 times better, and will fade in and out while your driving.

    Bottom bottom line -> not worth time and effort and money in my humble opinion, but to each his own.....

    Good luck with your project...
    My carputer

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by egeekial
      I am thinking about getting a USB TV tuner for my carputer, and I know several people have done this. Obviously, I can't get cable or satellite, so I'd need some kind of antenna somewhere. I'm just trying to see what other people have done, how good of reception, and what kind of hardware people have.
      I just received my USB-Ter DVB-T receiver. (Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial) This thing rocks, the antenna that came with it in this offer is only 10 cm. high and very manageable. (Has a magnet to put it up your roof).
      The only thing is, I don't know if you have access to DVB-T signals where you live.
      Needstorage
      --------------------------

      Who the hell is general failure?!?
      And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a Happhauge WinTV/FM USB tuner also. I am using a two antenna system I picked up from a guy who was ripping a tv/vcr combo unit out of his SUV. They both look like an inverted "T" about 3' total length and connect back to a sinlge wire via a "Y" splitter. I mounted them on the inside of the side windows in the back of my SUV hanging down about 1" from the headliner (the same as they were mounted in the vehicle they came out of.)

        The results... could be better. FM reception is fine, although I must admit I don't use it that much (still have HU) and the TV reception is OK when stopped, but comes and goes when moving. The same antenna gave much better results in the vehicle it came out of so I have to assume it's the WinTV box that has "issues".

        -BZ
        It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
        What better place than here? What better time than now?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Needstorage
          I just received my USB-Ter DVB-T receiver. (Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial) This thing rocks, the antenna that came with it in this offer is only 10 cm. high and very manageable. (Has a magnet to put it up your roof).
          The only thing is, I don't know if you have access to DVB-T signals where you live.
          In the Netherlands we need a smartcard to decode the DVB-T channels. How is that in Belgium. Can you put a smartcard in this dec oder? I have such a smartcard because I use the DVB-T in my home (very good quality digital TV)
          MII 6000; 256 MB; lilliput touchscreen; 40GB; bluetooth SE 68i; software still experimenting switched from mediacar to frodopayer, phonecontrol, destinator 3 (NM), and others.
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31991

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Needstorage
            I just received my USB-Ter DVB-T receiver. (Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial) This thing rocks, the antenna that came with it in this offer is only 10 cm. high and very manageable. (Has a magnet to put it up your roof).
            The only thing is, I don't know if you have access to DVB-T signals where you live.
            Id love see to hear some good feedback on the quality of this device while moving let us all know how good the signal is while in motion and stopped
            Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
            www.aimee.cc

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by aguila
              In the Netherlands we need a smartcard to decode the DVB-T channels. How is that in Belgium. Can you put a smartcard in this dec oder? I have such a smartcard because I use the DVB-T in my home (very good quality digital TV)
              In Belgium the national broadcasts (VRT, Canvas, RTBF, La Une, La Deux and Sporza TV) are free to air like their analog equivalent. Commercial players do not transmit any dvb-t signals (yet). Maybe in the near future, and I doubt those will be free to air. And no, this decoder does not take a smartcard. It is not intended for encrypted channels.
              Needstorage
              --------------------------

              Who the hell is general failure?!?
              And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Danceheaven
                Id love see to hear some good feedback on the quality of this device while moving let us all know how good the signal is while in motion and stopped
                Well, now that's something I'm not gonna know quickly, because I didn't buy this thing to put it in my car immediatly. I threw out my cable-tv company two months ago, because they are charging way too much for those 36 channels, while I only watch 2 or 3 of them. That's why I bought this thing. I can tell you that the reception is very good where I live, with just this little antenna hanging out of the window.

                Also because we are campers (caravan) I bought this 'portable' model, I can use it with my laptop on trips.

                I'm still in the progress of expanding and coding my software and this in-car TV option is not one of my priorities. (OBD has to be finished, then startup/shutdown controller, the Bluetooth phone control system and then maybe the in-car TV system)
                I am building all the software myself, so the development of the overall system taks a lot of time
                Needstorage
                --------------------------

                Who the hell is general failure?!?
                And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Needstorage
                  I just received my USB-Ter DVB-T receiver. (Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial) This thing rocks, the antenna that came with it in this offer is only 10 cm. high and very manageable. (Has a magnet to put it up your roof).
                  The only thing is, I don't know if you have access to DVB-T signals where you live.

                  How do I know if it's available in my area?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by egeekial
                    How do I know if it's available in my area?
                    Tell us where you for starters, or maybee?
                    Needstorage
                    --------------------------

                    Who the hell is general failure?!?
                    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i've got one of these USB ter digital tv things and i live in australia. I tried it on my home pc and hung the small antenna out the window and got great reception on one channel, and medium on another two. Then i installed it into my car, and i cant get anything. I even tried a large rabbit ears type antennaa still no luck, even tried driving to the nearest hill and got nothing. Any one know more about this thing? Im using a M10000 and a ITX 70a type power supply and ive tried downloading new drivers, different usb hbs and a usb 2.0 port.

                      its really wierd coz when it scans it says "analysig..locking...analysing..." etc, like its finding heaps of ****, but then when it comes out of the scanning screen and goes to its results list....its empty!
                      Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
                      Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
                      ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
                      Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
                      Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
                      600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by stimps
                        i've got one of these USB ter digital tv things and i live in australia. I tried it on my home pc and hung the small antenna out the window and got great reception on one channel, and medium on another two. Then i installed it into my car, and i cant get anything. I even tried a large rabbit ears type antennaa still no luck, even tried driving to the nearest hill and got nothing. Any one know more about this thing? Im using a M10000 and a ITX 70a type power supply and ive tried downloading new drivers, different usb hbs and a usb 2.0 port.

                        its really wierd coz when it scans it says "analysig..locking...analysing..." etc, like its finding heaps of ****, but then when it comes out of the scanning screen and goes to its results list....its empty!
                        Is your USB-ter receiver connected to your in-car system during boot? Try disconnecting it, boot up your car-pc and then when it's fully running, plug in your receiver. Then try scanning again...
                        Needstorage
                        --------------------------

                        Who the hell is general failure?!?
                        And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          why would that help? Dont understand....
                          Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
                          Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
                          ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
                          Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
                          Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
                          600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stimps
                            why would that help? Dont understand....
                            Well, I had like something similar like you. When I rebooted (still with the thing attached, again nothing) Then I rebooted without the thing attached, it worked.
                            Needstorage
                            --------------------------

                            Who the hell is general failure?!?
                            And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X