Cheap & good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap & good?

Is their any psu i can use in my car, to power a 2ghz computer thats cheaper then the $200 opus psu and wont introduce noise in my system? Ive ordered one of the opus 150w psu from mp3car.com, but im thinking about taking it back, because after i thought about it- $200 for a psu is just rediculous, and i cant justify spending that much money on a power supply. So if anyone can help me out, please post.

No, there is no real alternative that is as good as the Opus, which is why it is recommended so much.

DC-DC is the only way to go, and the Opus does this well, and it also has a start-up and shutdown controller.

Power and screen are, in my opinion, the two most important and also the most overlooked aspects of a good carputer system. If your power supply is rubbish, then it won't run properly. If you screen is rubbish, then you won't see anything.

That is why I have an Opus and a Xenarc display.

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Im using Opus for over a year, got it for 190 shipped ;o
      Never had any problems with it,
      its really worth buying it just for a fact that you dont need to toggle any switches everytime you turn carputer On/Off...
      Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
      My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

Yeah, its just....200 dollahs! I just wish their was a cheaper (i mean, cmon, you know it cost like 50bux to make one of these things) solution i could get. Arent there other DC-DC powersupplies that are like...half the price?

Comment

would you rather buy a crappy made in china PSU that is seriously overrated and dies within months of usage for a much cheaper price of 1/4 or 1/8?

With the warranty and quality of this thing. I know it's well invested.

Comment

yes

Comment

We all know that it doesnt cust $200... But everybody has to make a living of something right? And due to the fact that opus supplies are very good, and there are no real alternatives either.. they can set the price to be higher than your '$50'.

If you want quality and less headaches down the road, stick with opus, otherwise there are other alternatives for cheaper.
              ----------------------
              VIA Epia II
              256MB 266DDR Ram
              90GB Wester Digital
              Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
              Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
              ----------------------
              Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

There are alternatives, Keypower, Orbit micro and Sproggy, but I'm not sure about their prices. If you wait a little while Mastero is coming out with the MK-4.5 which will be 250w.
                Installed
                Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

My vote goes for the Opus too - nothing like getting into the car, starting it and your music starts playing again!
                  Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                  Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Working...
                  X