Laptop + No Charger In Car; 2 PCs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop + No Charger In Car; 2 PCs?

Well today was no school, so I was getting a bit bored so i rigged up an old Toshiba T3300sl laptop directly to the cigarette lighter with no regulator/car charger and turned on the car. And voila the laptop turns on! The laptop has an input power of 1.1A 18V however I have sucessfully powered it off an ATX power supply lying around here. Basically in conclusion if you are sure your cars electrical system doesn't go over your laptops input rating you should be fine without a regulator/car charger in the middle! (I will not be held responsible for people trying this and it blows the hell out of it ) But I suppose the extra protection the regaultor/car charger provides is second to none. Has anybody installed 2 PCs in their car? I really have no use for this Toshiba T3300sl!
    Fox Mulder
    2004 Toyota MR2
    Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

If only I had a van I could have one for each back seat

For now though, my car is too small for a lan party

Comment

Hmmmmm..........
      95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
      ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Don't make me envy your setup any more than I already do...

Comment

it'll eventually fry your battery (thats what it did for my Mum's Toshiba which had a 15V input rating). She doesnt have mains power at her place (only Solar), so she rigged it up to 12V the same way as you. Basically the laptop turns on but it wont charge the battery. Now her battery wont charge - even when connected to mains.

Comment

Originally posted by GWRedDragon
            If only I had a van I could have one for each back seat

For now though, my car is too small for a lan party

haha
            throw a moon

heuvos vin chevos

Comment

The battery was already screwed And this old (386!) laptop wont boot unless it has a battery (a working battery) there so I soldered an LED in place of the battery and it boots fine (and thinks it is charging a battery)
              Fox Mulder
              2004 Toyota MR2
              Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Working...
              X