Audigy2 NX sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audigy2 NX sound

Hey everyone - I got my Audigy2 NX working last week - and the sound is killer! I wired the 5V off of a 70W/A power supply - then directly into the amps in my tahoe. However, I am noticing that songs have more pauses in them - they last a split second - I am pretty sure that it is because of the new soundcard. Is this a power issue? I am pretty sure that I have the board setup for USB2.0 - so the bandwidth to the card should be good enough.

Also - I am getting a slight hum with the powered soundcard - I had the MP3+ before and never had a problem. I searched all over for other things people have ran into. Has anyone had luck with turning the audio accelleration down? Let me know your thoughts.

System:
    M10000
    512MB PC2100
    60GB HD
    PW70/A with ITPS

Thanks Everyone!
    2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
    STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

Funny, I get strange pauses with the onboard sound on one of my P4 systems...like, clicking the volume slider from the taskbar freezes the slider app for about 1/4th of a second before it plays the "ding" sound. Winamp does the same before switching songs.

Comment

I have the same thing when I use optical output!!!!

Comment

I am going to re-build tomorrow - I'll post and let you guys know what I find. A buddy of mine told the accellerator should work and fix the problems - I'll let you know.
        2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
        STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

Comment

i get some of the stuff above with my audigy 2nx too. But other than that the sound quality is awesome. It makes peoples jaw drop especially since the whole install is a stealth one. You cant see anything, everything just looks like factory stuff. Even dont have a aftermarket HU. But anyway, I knew straight from the outset that I had to put a dedicated 5v power supply in for the audigy, at the card itself, to illiminate any noise or voltage drop problems (the audigy is mounted on the back of the subwoofer box, in the back of the car) so I biult a small sproggy style 5v switch mode power supply, in a small box, with about 10cms of power cable straight to the audigy. No thumps, no startup Hard drive noises, very miminal background hiss. (well, cant even heard it unless its TOTALLY SILENT inside the car) and the only noise you ever hear is when the mp3's start playing.

But what the hell is going on, when I am about 80% thru a long 7mb mp3, and it suddenly just pauses for 1sec, and then keeps going. Very annoying! :P
          I increased winamp's PC cpu priority to try to overcome this.
          Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
          Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
          ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
          Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
          Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
          600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

Originally posted by stimps
            i get some of the stuff above with my audigy 2nx too. But other than that the sound quality is awesome. It makes peoples jaw drop especially since the whole install is a stealth one. You cant see anything, everything just looks like factory stuff. Even dont have a aftermarket HU. But anyway, I knew straight from the outset that I had to put a dedicated 5v power supply in for the audigy, at the card itself, to illiminate any noise or voltage drop problems (the audigy is mounted on the back of the subwoofer box, in the back of the car) so I biult a small sproggy style 5v switch mode power supply, in a small box, with about 10cms of power cable straight to the audigy. No thumps, no startup Hard drive noises, very miminal background hiss. (well, cant even heard it unless its TOTALLY SILENT inside the car) and the only noise you ever hear is when the mp3's start playing.

But what the hell is going on, when I am about 80% thru a long 7mb mp3, and it suddenly just pauses for 1sec, and then keeps going. Very annoying! :P
            I increased winamp's PC cpu priority to try to overcome this.
            How did you make this power supply???
            Will a Dc-Dc 12V-->5V converter be ok??

Comment

Originally posted by DjBac
              How did you make this power supply???
              Will a Dc-Dc 12V-->5V converter be ok??
              He said it was a sproggy style 5V supply. Search the forums for "Sproggy" or "MK3.5", "MK4", "MK4.5". Then just copy the 5V section off of one of those. There are other 8-16V -> 5V designs posted around here. Rob Whitney has a nice one hat only involves 1 TI module and a couple capacitors.

Any of these options will work with the Audigy. It just needs a good clean 5V supply capable of 1.5A or more.

Good luck.
              2004 4runner

Comment

yes i used the sproggy circiut. I just used the 5v section, one chip, one inductor two resistors and a couple of caps and wallah, good clean stable noiseless 5v ! Its actually very rough to look at , its soldered together on a bit of vero board and stuffed into a plastic box, but it works

Comment

Hey Stimps, can you post a quick schematic of that? I am running the 5V from a lead off of my power supply. I thought about wiring up a 12V->5V from the battery - thought it might be more stable and help prevent the pauses.
                  2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Comment

How much better is the sound then the MP3+. I have yet to buy my sound card and was looking at the mp3+ but is the Audigy a huge step up or just a noticable one?
                    Jason
                    My obligatory progress meter.
                    [|||||||||||||||||||-] = 95%
                    Basic Install done and all bugs fixed.
                    Need: GPS, OBD

Comment

The Audigy2 is a HUGE step over the MP3+... I have the MP3+ and regret spending the $40. Just spend the $100 and you will be VERY VERY Happy. The only problem is the "pauses" we are talking about. They are few and far between - but we want perfection! The sound quality quickly makes you over look the pauses compared to the MP3+. Go with the Audigy2
                      2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Comment

Hi!

how do you rate the volume from the Audigy? Are you using line drivers or an EQ in the system or is it just straight from the audigy to the amp?
                        Thanks,
                        Peter

Originally posted by nirvanades
                        The Audigy2 is a HUGE step over the MP3+... I have the MP3+ and regret spending the $40. Just spend the $100 and you will be VERY VERY Happy. The only problem is the "pauses" we are talking about. They are few and far between - but we want perfection! The sound quality quickly makes you over look the pauses compared to the MP3+. Go with the Audigy2
                        Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                        Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

chut - mine is currently setup so that it goes straight to the amp - however - I am going to re-wire tomorrow to go through an AUX line in the HU. I'll let you know how it turns out.
                          2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Comment

i go straight from the audigy to the amp. Its awesome. Never thought mp3's could sound this good

Nirvaneties:
                            Just do a search for sproggy and use the 5v section of the power supply.
                            I am not posting a schematic up here for you because I dont have one, I copied the sproggy one.

Comment

Very good to hear.
                              The reason Im thinking about purchasing the audigy is no longer valid. It turned out that the problem I was having was with one of my solder joints, not the soundcard. But I still think the output from my current soundcard is too low, I drive a convertible and need some more pounding bass too. So, maybe I'll buy an Audigy anyway to replace the card I'm currently using.
                              Peter
                              Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                              Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X