Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up Sharp 6" without cable kit

Hi there,

In case anyone is interested, I figured out how to hook up sharp 6" displays without using the $20 cable kit. If you can solder accurately, you can save bucks and make a permanent connection.

I'd be interested in this, as I've still not gotten responses from the 2 places that I've found that sell the kit.
    CarMP3 system:
    200mhz, 20gb hotswapable drive, 128mb, Winamp w/full-screen vizes, (upgrading to WinAmp3 in near future), 5" LCD screen, controled by numberpad, Sproggy PS under construction, custom mounting case under construction.

Comment

I am going to try and make one of the cable kits from the Digikey parts catalog. I will let you know how it goes.

------------------
      JohnRam
      Check out: www.WindowsCar.com
      JohnRam

Comment

Well, I finally got a reply from the Quadrangle folks, and the only thing they said about obtaining one of the kits was "Suggest you contact one of our distributors." *sigh* So I checked the 3 they listed, Arrow, Avnet, and Reptron. None of these had the RT-3B in stock (Arrow acted like they hadn't heard of Quadrangle). So I sent in a quote request to Avnet. Updates as they happen.
        CarMP3 system:
        200mhz, 20gb hotswapable drive, 128mb, Winamp w/full-screen vizes, (upgrading to WinAmp3 in near future), 5" LCD screen, controled by numberpad, Sproggy PS under construction, custom mounting case under construction.

Comment

Well,

connecting things to the LCd is pretty easy. First off, you need to have a pretty fine tip soldering iron.

Take the sliver back panel off the LCd and expose the c ircuit board. Next to the ribbon connector there are 20 litle squares. If you have the lcd in the correct upright poisitoin the squares on the top of the connector starting from the right are pins 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 , 19.

The pins on the bottom from the right are 2, 4, 6, ,8 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20.

You can use the datasheets on the web to map the lines you need to the correct pin.

- Aaron

Comment

I have just recieved an order verification from Liquid Image (now Tek Gear) that my connector board for the 6" is on the way! It was one of 3 they had left, and it's even pre-populated with the ribbon cable! Woo! Hopefully this will mean that the LCD will be working soon!
            CarMP3 system:

Comment

Working...
            X