**Thread Updated July 2006
    go to page 2 to see more photos and build log**

*Sept 27*
    *pics uploaded*

this is what i just bought to turn into an mp3 jukebox

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:CA:6

slower then an epia but less expencive and with a screen and touch

hopefully it will work ok

gonna throw in a bigger HDD and depending on how crap-tastic the sound is throw in a USB audio (zalman)

hopefully the screen is bright enough

its transflective so it should be "OK" i think

well see ill keep posting about status

Well, most tablet PCs use a touchscreen method that requires a stylus. I'm really not sure how useful that would be in a car, if you have to pick up the stylus first before clicking something. Or, maybe I'm overreacting to the difficulty

Comment

its a resistive touchscreen so it doesnt require a active stylus
      im pretty confident that i should just be able to tap the screen and it should respond

or at least thats the hope

Comment

Oh, I didn't read the specs link on the Fujitsu page...yeah, it does say resistive. Hopefully it works. That does look like a pretty cool solution

Comment

wow, definately a very cheap alternative if everything works out for you
          mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
          Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

Damn, cheaper than mine, and mine isn't even touchscreen and look at my crappy specs! Way to go
            00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
            Newest install - my quickest ever
            My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
            My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

scary that it looks b/w in the pic. hope it's color like the writeup says
              肚子笑痛了
              S60 Install

Comment

I just picked up a Motion Computing M1400 to use a different way. Permanently mounted the car computer, now using the tablet as a wireless remote control. Just to be able to control everything on the car from 20+ feet away.
                Currrent items to add:
                Open/Close the doors, hood, and hatch (individually)
                control the radio
                remote start the car
                slide seats forward, backward
                motorized amp racks, interior speakers, and sub box
                etc.
                pretty much anything you can turn a switch on/off

Hope to use the biometric scanning feature to make it only work for a person with the right fingerprint (encrypt the programs).
                1993 Mazda RX7
                Dell Inspiron 8100 (laptop w/docking station)

Comment

I also have an HP tablet PC. To be honest I can't see it being used in as a car PC simply because It's heavy, hard to mount and inaccurate with the stylus pen.

You're better up setting up some IR device to control the PC.
                  HomePage and Mp3Car Setup

Comment

i havent recieved it yet so i have no final say on how it will work

its got a transflective screen so it should work well indoor and out

total weight is somthing like 3.2lbs. so thats not too bad

im a pretty crafty guy im sure i can manage to mount it in the car somehwere and the connection to the existing stock stereo will be easy (no aux in) so im going to solder a line into the preamp stage of the circuitry

im also hopeing it will come in handy for university, taking notes, scribbling diagrams and since my school is going all wifi i should have internet anywhere i go with a 802.11 card

ill let you all know how it progresses once it gets here

Comment

Loooooooooooooong Post

its here!!!
                      its beautiful

its a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500X tablet PC
                      full specs
                      mobile celeron-C 500mhz (speedstep)
                      256MB SDRAM
                      intel 440 chipset (mmmm just like old times)
                      15GB fujitsu HDD (may be upgraded in the future)
                      onboard sound (satisfactory audio quality I can live with it)
                      10.8" active matrix transflective screen (1024x768 native)
                      ati rage mobility
                      resistive digitizer uses pen but after a little practive i can now 100% use my finger with no problems at all (finger nail works best)

it came with a 10/100 wired PCMCIA NIC
                      a slipcase
                      2 stilii
                      power brick

ive since invested in a 12VDC - 120VAC inverter to power the tablet ($30 CAN at Canadian Tire)

i also went to my friends house (he and his friend own an electrical engineering company out of their basement)

we ripped apart my dash and removed the stock 2003 sunfire headunit

after much deleniation and searching for datasheets the three of us worked out how to improvise our own line in (the stock unit has no line in or aux or anything so its SOLDER TIME)

i will post a writeup on how to make a line in on a sunfire radio later (this will also probably work on most GM/delco decks)

2 capacitors and a chunk of wire later i have a line in going to the CD player preamp stage of the deck

now there is large irony in this method
                      the reason for the tablet PC is to get away from CD. i dont want them anymore they get scratched, dirty, clutter up my car. i have tonnes of burned cds with god know what on them and im far to lazy to check and make lables. the final straw was i had a McDonals supersize coke explode in the center console of the car where i keep my cds destroying most of them. so CD = evil dont want them anymore.

HOWEVER

to make the line-in mod work the cd player has to be playing (dont ask me why i didnt design the logic behind the deck this is just how it worked out)

SO

to fix this i burned an 80min CD full of SILENCE.
                      a whack load of ZEROS.
                      throw in the disk and the cd player plays silence. the preamp stage is turned on and then the linein feeds through coupling capacitors into the amplifiers.

voila i have sound.

so to do away with cds entirely i need ONE cd with nothing on it !

at work we have a workshop so i took some time and constructed my own non-invasive mount for the tablet. its nothing pretty to look at but there are no screw holes in the car and i can take it away in 10 seconds. its basically just hanging hardware. the slipcase has 2 loops on the back and they slide over 2 hooks on the bracket. i plug in power i plug in the line-in and voila

im also able to do away with any big DC-DC powersupplies and relayed and garbage for start up and shut down becuase the tablet has its own battery. i can stop the car and just push a button and it will hibernate in ~5sec
                      resume takes ~15sec

ill post pics soon

FYI total cost thus far
                      <$500 CANADIAN DOLLARS

Comment

Nice I'm glad you're happy with the tablet. I'm thinking about buying one for my next install.
                        00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                        Newest install - my quickest ever
                        My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                        My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

I actually use a HP TC1100 Tablet PC at my work (the pentium model). I really could not imagine one as the car puter and screen really. it does make sense in a way, but would be more sense with a hacked up docking station.
                          "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                          Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Picture Time!!!

ok i took some pics today
                            *the camera used had problems focusing on the screen it prefered to focus on the reflections on the screen, due to this the pics looks strange. rest assured it looks better in real life*

the tablet

back

right side

left side

naked tablet, no slipcover

naked back

more tablet

fuzzy photo of mediaCar playing mp3s

media car root menu

inverter powering the tablet

Comment

fuzzy specs of the machine

the line in cable to the car stereo

the stock stereo

power

my ****ty custom bracket (still to be painted nd refined a bit)

mounted on the dash

power and other gack in the glovebox

cds and coffee cups and even a little pockey on the passenger seat floor
                              (wont be needing all those cds anymore WOO HOO)
                              [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/metaldwarf/tabletPC/das****onderflooren.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X