Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installation ideas

    Okay, got me a new car and need to figure out how I can fit my old carputer in the new car. Before it was easy, I had a double-din slot in which I fitted my Lilliput. I've now got this...

    [image removed because I no longer own this car - *sniff*]

    ...and I'm looking for ideas of where to mount a lilliput without damaging the dashboard (of which replacements aren't easy to come-by as this is a hand-built car so spares aren't mass-produced).

    The only thing I can come up with so-far is the 1-din enclosure from digitalww and transplant my Lilliput to that, but I'm not convinced of the sturdiness of that option.

    Any other ideas, that don't involve hacksawing?

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  • #2
    you are going to have to go with an in-dash unit, like the one www.digitalww.com sells.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GingerPrince
      Okay, got me a new car and need to figure out how I can fit my old carputer in the new car. Before it was easy, I had a double-din slot in which I fitted my Lilliput. I've now got this...




      ...and I'm looking for ideas of where to mount a lilliput without damaging the dashboard (of which replacements aren't easy to come-by as this is a hand-built car so spares aren't mass-produced).

      The only thing I can come up with so-far is the 1-din enclosure from digitalww and transplant my Lilliput to that, but I'm not convinced of the sturdiness of that option.

      Any other ideas, that don't involve hacksawing?

      Beautiful car youve got there, i bet it sounds amazing
      Shame you got rid of the FTO, ive just bought one!!
      Alough still waiting delivery from the importers patiently!
      As for the lilliput i would keep the HU forget the sinlge din case!
      And fibreglass up a nice little housing that would mould into the left hand side of the dash where the recess is, then cover it in cream coloured finish, is that leather?
      possibly get it done professionaly for an OEM finish. i would also mount it so the screen faced you more than straight on that would face the passenger
      Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
      www.aimee.cc

      Comment


      • #4
        Yea but all of the controlls and the steering wheel are on the wrong side...








        JK
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

        Comment


        • #5
          When I was short of ideas I just bent a long piece of steel plate into a right angle, stuffed one end into the dash above the head unit (between it and the rest of the dash) and bolted the screen to the plate now sticking out & up out of the dash. Surprsingly it looks OK & doesn't move.

          You might want to be a bit fancier, cutting it to shape & finding a way of fixing it in place with screws behind the dash though. You're just creating an arm to mount it to.
          EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
          Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
          XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Danceheaven
            Beautiful car youve got there, i bet it sounds amazing
            Shame you got rid of the FTO, ive just bought one!!
            Alough still waiting delivery from the importers patiently!
            Sounds great! Heh, well you know it's easy to get a Lilliput in there now anyway

            Originally posted by Danceheaven

            As for the lilliput i would keep the HU forget the sinlge din case!
            And fibreglass up a nice little housing that would mould into the left hand side of the dash where the recess is, then cover it in cream coloured finish, is that leather?
            possibly get it done professionaly for an OEM finish. i would also mount it so the screen faced you more than straight on that would face the passenger
            The seats etc are leather, but the dash is not (leather was an option, but most TVR's are half-hide not full-hide).

            I quite like that idea, except that it's a bit out of reach over there, and I'd be worried at leaving it parked up with the roof down and a screen on obvious show. Having said that it's going to be the case pretty much however I install...

            GingerPrince

            Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

            Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
            CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

            Comment


            • #7
              Problem solved Dont leave the roof down
              Also its show car! have the screen on show!
              Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
              www.aimee.cc

              Comment


              • #8
                [QUOTE=pip]When I was short of ideas I just bent a long piece of steel plate into a right angle, stuffed one end into the dash above the head unit (between it and the rest of the dash) and bolted the screen to the plate now sticking out & up out of the dash. Surprsingly it looks OK & doesn't move.
                [QUOTE]

                Not sure that would suit the curves of the dashboard any! And it'd get nicked for sure!

                GingerPrince

                Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

                Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Danceheaven
                  Problem solved Dont leave the roof down
                  Also its show car! have the screen on show!
                  It's not a show car it's a driving car. Show cars are 3 grand Corsa's with 15 grands worth of mods. Show cars have at least 4 subwoofers and flip paint you can see distant McDonalds reflected in. Show cars usually have a burberry cap on the parcel-shelf

                  My car has stone-chips aplenty, and power by the boatload. It's a driving car

                  GingerPrince

                  Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

                  Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                  CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Enforcer
                    Give the screen measurements to TVR and get then to knock something up for you.
                    Heh, that probably would have been an option (anthough expensive) pre-russian takeover, but things are a-changing at the factory now!

                    GingerPrince

                    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

                    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by Enforcer
                      Not for the better I bet.
                      Jury's still out on that one. They are actually making changes to improve quality control, and seeking new premises in Blackpool. The question is whether they dilute the brand by building a "cheap entry-level" model, and make the marque a common site. We shall see.

                      On the installation front, I'm now pondering the sun-visor approach. Gonna see if I can get hold of a spare for cheap, and take my stanley knife to it

                      Other option is to have it behind the drivers seat, mounted and with a carpet-cover. Only thing with this is it would be strictly queue-up-mp3's-whilst-stationary, then close it off and go - probably no real advantage over a laptop on the passenger seat! Would be quite cool to have an upholstered screen, though

                      GingerPrince

                      Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

                      Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                      CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by GingerPrince
                        Jury's still out on that one. They are actually making changes to improve quality control, and seeking new premises in Blackpool. The question is whether they dilute the brand by building a "cheap entry-level" model, and make the marque a common site. We shall see.

                        On the installation front, I'm now pondering the sun-visor approach. Gonna see if I can get hold of a spare for cheap, and take my stanley knife to it

                        Other option is to have it behind the drivers seat, mounted and with a carpet-cover. Only thing with this is it would be strictly queue-up-mp3's-whilst-stationary, then close it off and go - probably no real advantage over a laptop on the passenger seat! Would be quite cool to have an upholstered screen, though

                        You know Antimatter asked Armen at DigitalWW to fit him a VGA Lilliput into a sunvisor, could be anice option for you prehaps
                        Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
                        www.aimee.cc

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X