Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nifty Idea

Hey All,
    Well, last night I finally got one of those devices that interfaces the factory
    steering wheel controls into aftermarket radios. Basically, it just converts steering wheel button presses into IR signals corresponding to the aftermarket deck's remote.
    You train the device by pushing a steering wheel button and then pushing a button your aftermarket deck remote.

Now WHY am I posting this here?
    Well, this is actually a FANTASTIC way of controlling your system. If you have an IRMAN receiver, there is absolutely no reason why you can't use one of these to control your setup.

It is sooo BOMB to press "seek" on your steering wheel and have the mp3's change.
    No need for keypads, remotes.. etc. Of course you need those for the more complicated functions, but the basic stuff can be done with the steering wheel so easily.

In fact, If I had realized this sooner, I would have bought one of these long before changing my deck.

Anyways, its brings your setup a major step clsoer to being completely integrated into your car, because even with all we do.. you still always have to hack something else in there to control the computer..

Well, this is an easy way to avoid it.

Of course you need to have steering wheel radio controls in the first place.

Just wanted to post my success story and notify anyone else that this works!

Where did you get this from and how much did it cost you to get ? I dont have steering wheel controls but I am always interested in things like this

Comment

could you use one of your horn buttons?

Comment

how many functions will it hold?

------------------
        AMD K6-3 450, 15GB HD, 256M Ram
        DVD, 10.4" touchscreen, 2-5' lcd's, ati all in wonder 16mb, Alpine, MB Quart, JL, Audio Control
        99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Well if you have to horn buttons I suppose it would be possible.....you'd have to hack apart the steering wheel track down the wires and so on...I really don't think it would be worth it for one button tho....

Comment

WAIT! I saw this in an issue of Car Audio and Electronics magazine. The guy had all of his cruise control buttons that were on his steering wheel switched over to control radio functions. There was a switch on his dash that would switch the function of the buttons back and forth...if the switch was one way then the buttons wored the cruise control...if they were another they operated the radio....

Catlas

Comment

I use my steering wheel buttons but used relays instead of the IR interface. I almost used IR. I have two pushbuttons on the dash (control and command) that I use to get more function out of the five buttons on the wheel. In all, five buttons + modifier keys = 20 possible buttons right there on the wheel. There is more detail about this on the site. http://24.7.157.64/home.html
              It is definitely an excellent way to control the system... it feels right, and doesn't distract me from driving. I'd suggest it to anyone out there looking for a control method.

Comment

I want to see pictures!
                WINAMPCAR
                Project almost ready

Comment

Mantis: where did you get it, and how much ?
                  Gizmo-
                  Techonlogy on Wheels
                  http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

I got it in a car audio shop.
                    They normally go for about $60 USD.
                    If you look around on the net, they aren't too hard to find.
                    There are a few different models for the different types of cars..

Comment

Corvette

I dont think any vette came with steering wheel controls but if i were to take the steering wheel out of a 02 GP could I make it work?
                      Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto

Comment

This product is made by PAC. http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm . This is what I use in my Yukon. It does work really well. I have it programed to work with seven of the buttons on my steering wheel. I can pretty much control all the functions that I need from the steering wheel.
                        2007 Tahoe
                        Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

Hi all, I've come acroos something like that too, but a little different...it's the "Varad PAC Racerboy SK-1" Shift Knob Controller. It replaces your floor shifter. I haven't tried it, I'm still trying to rationalize the cost of $80!!!

It's available at crutchfield and places like that...
                          link: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sxbf1I1....asp?i=127SK1C
                          I did it all with a Dell and a Dock!
                          DVD,MP3,TV,FM,GPS, XM,WiFi,CDRW,
                          5.1 Dolby, 420 GB, 512 MB,1 Ghz,7" Touch

Comment

I agree with Mantis. This is just one of those touches that really make the carputer feel integrated into your vehicle.

I'm using a Pac Swi-X with a free serial ir remote that came with my old hauppage tv tuner. The software I use is uICE or girder. Girder is nice because it supports both tapping buttons and holding buttons (meaning you can program different commands for each), but uICE is nice because the buttons come preprogrammed with basic operation and it resumes from hibernate.

The keys are mapped so that when the seek buttons when tapped focus on the winamp executable and press the keyboard shortcut for next/back. The volume keys are mapped to the master os volume. And the mode button is used as Alt-tab to quickly switch between copilot/winamp. The nice thing is, if I'm using copilot gps, I can still use the remote to change mp3 tracks without switching windows and can quickly change the volume without the touchscreen distractions.

It an awesome input device, and if you have steering wheel controls available, I strongly encourage you to try it.
                            -TJ
                            Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                            CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                            Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Working...
                            X