Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Scanner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Scanner?

    Anyone ever seen a card or usb device that acts as a police scanner and can input into your computer. I have heard of them before and beleive they exist but never found one yet. Would be nifty to have a integrated police scanner on carputer. Maybe even there is a normal handheld scanner that would interface.
    Toyota Prius w/ NAV system and a 30gb Ipod :)it never crashes and always boots up.

  • #2
    You may want to revise your title. People might think you're talking about an image scanner.
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Weatherboy
      Anyone ever seen a card or usb device that acts as a police scanner and can input into your computer. I have heard of them before and beleive they exist but never found one yet. Would be nifty to have a integrated police scanner on carputer. Maybe even there is a normal handheld scanner that would interface.

      as far as i know there i don't think there is any type of say pci card that is a scanner. but i do know there are scanners out that there that have rs232 ports on them and allow them to be controled by an application. i don't think radio shack has any high end enough to have this. i mean we are talking many hundreds of dollars here

      edit: eats his words due to the next post
      don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

      Comment


      • #4
        WiNRADiO

        WiNRADiO: http://www.winradio.com/home/receivers.htm

        The 1500 Series is a low-to-medium cost communication receivers are suitable for cost-effective VHF/UHF monitoring for professional and amateur applications. Frequency range is 150 kHz to 1.5 GHz (in USA, models available to general public exclude cellular frequencies 825-849 and 869-894 MHz).

        The 3000 Series is a medium cost communications receiver series, suitable for cost-effective HF/VHF/UHF monitoring for professional applications in security, military, telecommunications and industrial applications. Frequency range is 150 kHz to 1.5 GHz (in USA, models available to general public exclude cellular frequencies 825-849 and 869-894 MHz).

        - BZ
        It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
        What better place than here? What better time than now?

        Comment


        • #5
          There are the Icom PCR-100 and PCR-1000 receivers, the 100 has been discontinued but you can find them on eBay sometimes. The 1000 seems to still be current production (at the very least, www.hamradio.com is still selling them). You can also check out the Winradio products, www.winradio.com.
          Look at the Supported Radios section of http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/ to find a list of computer-controllable gear.
          System status: in progress

          Comment


          • #6
            pfranc.com has cables to connect a bunch of radio shacks radio's to PC, can find links to info too
            found thiss there:
            Parnass.org
            tk92 - Experimental Software for Radio ShackŪ PRO-92 and PRO-2067 Scanners
            CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
            Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

            Comment


            • #7
              why are you afraid of Police???? once they click you they got you.. unless you deal drugs or something i guess it willl be a good tool because you can tell if they are spying on you and etc.

              Comment


              • #8
                Why does having a police scanner mean you're afraid of police? It's fun to listen to the police and other people talk on radio.

                Are you confusing his question with 'radar detector'?
                Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                http://hallert.net/

                Comment


                • #9
                  My local police only use the radio from dispatch to car.... any other communications is over nextels... as is their data... damn
                  ,./(0)3

                  '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

                  [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    all the police and highway patrol in my area switched to encrypted digital trunked systems so no more listening for me I can only still get the fire department and medical service. But for the low low price of $8,000 I could listen in to the police again.
                    肚子笑痛了
                    S60 Install

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jcdillin
                      But for the low low price of $8,000 I could listen in to the police again.

                      For a little while.
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by frodobaggins
                        For a little while.
                        So true.
                        肚子笑痛了
                        S60 Install

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by owenjh
                          pfranc.com has cables to connect a bunch of radio shacks radio's to PC, can find links to info too
                          found thiss there:
                          Parnass.org
                          tk92 - Experimental Software for Radio ShackŪ PRO-92 and PRO-2067 Scanners
                          Those interfaces are only for programming, not for controlling the scanners. Though the PRO-2067 is a great radio, I've got one in my dash right now
                          System status: in progress

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And depending on what state you live in, having a police scanner in your car can even be illegal.
                            -Drew Taylor
                            2000 Grand Am GT PC

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jcdillin
                              all the police and highway patrol in my area switched to encrypted digital trunked systems so no more listening for me I can only still get the fire department and medical service. But for the low low price of $8,000 I could listen in to the police again.

                              huh? try these? Uniden make Digital scanners.
                              Base
                              http://www.uniden.com/productpop/00_...rd_code=BC796D

                              and

                              Handheld
                              http://www.uniden.com/productpop/00_...rd_code=BC296D

                              Digital Trunking Handheld Scanner from Radio PRO-96

                              http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ord)&hp=search

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X