No announcement yet.

Can you load WinXP onto a memory stick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you load WinXP onto a memory stick?

I just wondering if you can load winXP onto a large enough memory stick and run off of it. I'm asking b/c although I know HDs can usually take the punishment of daily driving when mounted properly, I doubt that it'll come out of a track day in one piece. So I was thinking that when I goto the track, I can just take out the HD, and plug in the memory stick, with XP, and my OBDII software on it, and maybe a couple of MP3's. Would that work?

I am not 100% sure but I am sure you would need to make the cmos belive that the USB stick is a hard drive so that it would load windows off of there, be very difficult I think

Comment

depends on the MB you have, some motherboards, (I've seen a few dells do it) will boot from a usb device is they have a boot partition on them

Comment

Compact Flash to SCSI or IDE

I know it has been done. You can buy Compact Flash to IDE adapters for around 10$ on ebay, but the larger CF cards are a little pricey. (1GB for around 175$, and 512's for 100$) People in the Mac community often use CF to SCSI bridges. Here is an interesting website to build your own CF to IDE bridge.

http://www.wau.nl/hemeltje/temporary...cfadapter.html

and for the cards on ebay
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5116062115

Do a for "CF to IDE"

Hope this helps
        ** Denotes an "in car" post
        In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

That CF to IDE card off of ebay looks pretty good. I'll definatly have to check that out. Thanx!

Comment

Hail fellow scooby track day driver !

I have done a track day, skid pan day, gymkhana and a few 1/4s with the 'puter and ecutek and tunes and it was awesome, using a desktop drive mounted horizontally, the only problems i have ever had form vibration / etc was from sand / dirt roads with lots of corrugations on them, track day was a piece of cake, and I dont drive like miss daisy. if your puter is reliable in day to day use the track day wont make a difference (assuming your hardware is bolted to something ! that is)
            Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

That's quite reasuring to hear. Well, I don't plan on doing any track days anytime soon (I need new tires after the last one ). And I'm still in the planning stages for my carputer project. I should get underway in about a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll find a old laptop HD and try a track day with that and see what happens to build up my confidence using a HD during a track day.

Comment

Flash memory definitely has a limit to the number of writes and reads it will survive. So you should really consider running without a pagefile if you want to do this. That will make your card last much longer, as flash memory will sustain something like 100 times as many reads as writes.

The good thing is, by the time you wear out your memory stick, prices will be so low that you can replace it with a bigger one for less money, probably.

By the way, I have a CF to IDE adapter, and even with a cheap piece of crap slow (I think it's 10X or so) 512MBcf card, I can boot into win98se on a desktop box in about 2 sec.
                www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

2 Sec? Are you serious? If it's that quick, maybe I should just do that with my desktop and put the OS on a card and everything else on a HD...

Comment

Originally posted by walky_talky20
                    I know it has been done. You can buy Compact Flash to IDE adapters for around 10$ on ebay, but the larger CF cards are a little pricey. (1GB for around 175$, and 512's for 100$)

Actually, they are A LOT cheaper than that.

512MB- $55 - 5 Year Warranty

$29 - Lifetime Warranty

1GB- $119 - 5 Year Warranty

Fry's Electronics (Outpost.com) Very good place.

Peace,

Rafster
                    Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Udonboy
                      2 Sec? Are you serious? If it's that quick, maybe I should just do that with my desktop and put the OS on a card and everything else on a HD...
                      YERY serious. But that is on my desktop box at home. I haven't tried on my Epia.

At work, we also have a bunch of win2k boxes that only have CF cards in them. They connect to Symbol wireless Access Points and are attached to "tuggers" that people drive around and pull parts over to different places on the assembly lines. The PC's are connected to the parts ordering system so that the drivers know what parts are needed where.

Anyway, they boot up win2k extremely quickly as well, but I've never timed them.
                      www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Thats very cool! Have you worked with hibernation at all? Can you try it and see if they come out ok?

Originally posted by blurp
                        YERY serious. But that is on my desktop box at home. I haven't tried on my Epia.

At work, we also have a bunch of win2k boxes that only have CF cards in them. They connect to Symbol wireless Access Points and are attached to "tuggers" that people drive around and pull parts over to different places on the assembly lines. The PC's are connected to the parts ordering system so that the drivers know what parts are needed where.

Anyway, they boot up win2k extremely quickly as well, but I've never timed them.
                        Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                        Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, but the limited writes will cause the device to become unusable after a while. If you leave the pagefile intact that'd be a matter of days.
                          EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                          Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                          XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

thats why you disable the page file or make a virtual drive on the ram and put it there

Comment

Originally posted by chut
                              Thats very cool! Have you worked with hibernation at all? Can you try it and see if they come out ok?
                              Sorry, we don't have any extras that I can play with. We just have a hotspare and it has to stay ready to go into service at any time. But I'm sure that hibernation would work. It will, however, decrease the lifespan of the cf, since it writes the current state to the cf for the hibernation. But that would be nothing compared to what a pagefile would do to it.
                              www.bradleyjacobs.com

Comment

Working...
                              X