Laptop Mobo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Mobo

Ok, I have a fully working Compaq laptop. 1.2 Ghz AMD and 240 MB of RAM.

Should I take the motherboard out of the laptop? Or should I just leave it as a laptop and add the touchscreen and such?

Opinions? Pros, Cons?
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Leave it in the laptop case. It is already nice and small. I've got the same config, and it works well.

Comment

i left mine in the case, but wired some switches directly to the power switch and the lid switch, so I could put them wherever

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

i took the screen off my laptop cus it was busted but im leaving it all in the case.. and yeah i soldered wires to the switches allso so it could be put anywhere.
        View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinkin I'll just solder some switches on, I'll probabaly solder them with some quick connections in between so the laptop can be semi-removeable.

Anyone know of a cable that will let me move the DVD drive outside the case?
          ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

u could use an external dvd drive if u got usb2 but i dunno if u can just extend the cable thats already in there
            View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Grrr. it's a pretty old laptop, USB 1.1 is all I've got. I can't add USB 2.0 because I use a wirelesscard for wardriving (which I'm not willing to give up.)
              ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

I am running a similar machine, Compaq Presario 1700T Laptop. I soldered in a remote power switch (very simple, dissasembly was more difficult) and have the machine psuedomounted under the passenger seat. I would think USB 2.0 is almost crucial for a laptop carputer setup if you are running multiple devices (hubs are relatively cheap), and there are also ample USB WiFi devices for your wardriving, freeing your PCMCIA port for USB 2.0.

I am currently trying to figure out how to extend the DVD/CD drive so that I could mount the Compaq FutureBay drive somewere accesible, no luck yet.

Have any of you thought about laptop enclosures, I read another post about making a wooden box, but that seems to provide min. protections and takes lots of space. I have my laptop lying on the carpet under the passenger seat, seems like a bad idea once there will be melting snow...

Comment

I know where I'm going to put it. I'm going to wait for a new Carnetix prototype. What USB device can I use for Wardriving. I've yet to see any that 1) work with netstumbler and 2) support external antennas.

I'm thinking about getting an external USB DVD drive.

I also want to put my exbos nearby, but I'm having trouble finding alternative powersupplies for it, as I don't want to use an inverter.
                  ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

the linksys cards are pretty popular theres a mod to make them external antenna ready. I've also used Netgear products with a great result. I've yet to find a card that netstumbler 0.4 doesn't support

What kind of laptop is it and what are the voltage requirements? i might have a few lying around that would work for you

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                      Anyone know of a cable that will let me move the DVD drive outside the case?

I have had 0 luck on this one check out this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23726

It seems like the only option that I can come up with is to get two of the slim adapters, and try to pull the connector off one of them and solder another one on there. I am not too excited about my ability to do that though, since the pins are less than a mm (.8mm i think) apart.

I have tried contacting come companies that make custom cables, and I either get no response or a sorry.

I also contacted a company that supposedly makes the slim adapters to see fi they could make me one with the other connector on it, or one with no connector on it (so I could try to do it myself) but got no response from them.

anyway, if you have any ideas, let me know

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

I know they make tons of adapter to convert an slim drive to IDE.... what about converting an ide drive to slim? (I know there is are different voltage requirements, but I'm thinking this:

[slim drive][slim to ide adapter][...........ide cable........][ide to slim adapter][motehrboard]
                        ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

yeah, that is exactly what I am thinking.

[slim drive][slim drive to ide adapter][...........ide cable........][ide to slim mobo adapter ][motehrboard]

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, no one makes the adapter in red. That is why I was talking about getting two of the adapters and swapping the connector on one of them.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

Working...
                          X