Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling output to r232

Hi,
    I would like to have control over more aspects of the electrical system in my car. I believe it is possible to control the r232 outputs but I am having some problems finding info on it. Does anyone have a good resource (or starting point) that will help me understand how to control this output? Thank you

-JustICE

Originally posted by justICE
    Hi,
    I would like to have control over more aspects of the electrical system in my car. I believe it is possible to control the r232 outputs but I am having some problems finding info on it. Does anyone have a good resource (or starting point) that will help me understand how to control this output? Thank you

-JustICE
    RS232 is the name given for the Specific workings of a "serial" data port on most personal computer systems, the data is formed in bytes namely consisting of Binary Data, "1,0"'s without getting to technical on what the port does, i can tell you that, at current time and date it has to be the most versitile and by far the easiest method of connecting a personal computer to an external device / system, in a case where by the user has control more so than any other method of communication based upon a hardware level.

If your intentions are to control your cars electronics (i.e Air condictioning or power locking, etc) via this port, then do a search for serial relay cards, plenty of information here on these forums, or also try RS232, Phidgets, And Serial Control, its all here, User Ricky327 is currently working on a good purpose RS232 Card that sounds like it may possibly suit your needs
    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Danceheaven
      If your intentions are to control your cars electronics (i.e Air condictioning or power locking, etc) via this port, then do a search for serial relay cards, plenty of information here on these forums, or also try RS232, Phidgets, And Serial Control, its all here, User Ricky327 is currently working on a good purpose RS232 Card that sounds like it may possibly suit your needs
      DH,
      I willl definitely give those keywords a shot. It is my intention to also create the controller. I guess I really need some info on how to specifically output (and input) words--or even just bits--through the serial port. I would guess there are certain addresses you write too that correspond to pins on the serial port. Maybe the port requires a receiver as well for handshaking or maybe it is something I have not even thought of. Anyhow, I guess I really just want to learn more info on communicating through that port via software etc. Thanks for the info you have given me I will go check those out. If there are other resources that go more into detail as to the workings (and how too's) then I would appreciate it. Thanks,

-justICE.

Comment

Originally posted by justICE
        DH,
        I willl definitely give those keywords a shot. It is my intention to also create the controller. I guess I really need some info on how to specifically output (and input) words--or even just bits--through the serial port. I would guess there are certain addresses you write too that correspond to pins on the serial port. Maybe the port requires a receiver as well for handshaking or maybe it is something I have not even thought of. Anyhow, I guess I really just want to learn more info on communicating through that port via software etc. Thanks for the info you have given me I will go check those out. If there are other resources that go more into detail as to the workings (and how too's) then I would appreciate it. Thanks,

-justICE.
        If you want to directly set pins than the parallel port is more likely, though that has problems associated with it. Serial communication is sending binary data over just one line, with each bit sent sequentially at a specified baud rate. If you want to do something with that, you really need some sort of smart device at the other end that does the switching of relays on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by GWRedDragon
          If you want to directly set pins than the parallel port is more likely, though that has problems associated with it. Serial communication is sending binary data over just one line, with each bit sent sequentially at a specified baud rate. If you want to do something with that, you really need some sort of smart device at the other end that does the switching of relays on and off.
          The serial port has several control signals that can be individually set/reset as well. Search around

There are some basic serial port routines I posted in message #10 of this thread.
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...=simple+serial
          2004 4runner

Comment

check out a book called serial port complete by jan axelson. depending on what you want to do, as mention above, the parallel port might be a better option (she has a book on that subject too). I have done a lot of research on this subject, since I am trying to connect an external device to my computer that is not made to connect. I have a serial interface that kinda works, but I want to move up to USB, if I can find some spare time. If you have some more specific questions, I might be able to at least give you some links.

You might be able to do something cool with the flow control and connection lines, but you are most likely going to have to talk to some sort of microcontroller if you want to use the data lines.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

Working...
            X