HDD+DVD Media Center Idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD+DVD Media Center Idea

ok, here's the idea. i was looking up info on flashing the ROM in my DVD player to make it region-free when i found this.

using certain DVD players (Apex, Sampo, etc) and the amazing Sampo DVE631CF firmware, you can add a HDD into the unit, and play files (MP3, MPG, JPG, etc) from it, as well as the original DVD/VCD/CD functions. some of the cheapest units you can do this to can be found on ebay for under $100. you could use this in-car with an inverter, and a cheap non-ts LCD. the way i see it, you could have a complete harddrive-based media center for well under $300, with remote. some of the advantages i see are: instant on/off, no OS problems, no hardware conflicts, inexpensive, simple.

unfortunately, the DVD player i have isn't able to do this, so i'm selling it and buying one that will do this so i can test things out.

ideas/comments?

sounds like this solution would work but seems you would be limited.

no wi-fi.
    no gps.
    no games/emulators.

and since you cant network it how would you update files on the hard drive?

if you could network it, then it would be great for media only. depending on what codecs you can install.
    How in the world would you put the special AirPort card in a PC? Mine is a Mac anyway but it's too old to AirPort. I just use a zip drive to transfer.

Comment

Cool!!
      I could use something like that in my shop!!!
      2-15" ILO lcd w/DVI
      6800 gt Duel DVI out
      p4 1.6ghz flex atx board
      1gb 400 ram
      120gb(2-60gb raid) sata hd
      2-60gb hotswap
      WIN2K Pro SP2
      M.A.M.E. w/2,300 games
      CARPuter info

Comment

Yeah I like the idea for a static player, but I add so much music all the time it would be a pain.
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

hahha my xbox can do this and sooo much more.(xbox games, internet browsing, Emulators ext..). and it has an ethernet port for streaming music from all the computers in your house. All for about the same price. Sorry to say this but its true
          Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
          Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
          S2000 Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by darkhalo
            hahha my xbox can do this and sooo much more.(xbox games, internet browsing, Emulators ext..). and it has an ethernet port for streaming music from all the computers in your house. All for about the same price. Sorry to say this but its true
            You can get a WiFi adapter for the X-Box too cant you?
            CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
            Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by darkhalo
              hahaha my computer can do this and soooo much more (GPS, XM Radio, Rearview camera...) and it has just about every port imaginable. All for about the same price. Sorry to say this but its true
              StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
              Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
              The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

you can add/remove files by adding USB or Firewire to the setup, there is info on the site i linked to. there are also wifi-capable harddrive enclosures available, not cheap though.

i think some of you misunderstand where i'm coming from. i'm just showing this as a cheap alternative. assuming you already have a spare harddrive, all you need is a cheap compatible dvd player (literally $25-50 on ebay, some models are more) a cheap LCD ($50-150 depending on model and size) and an inverter ($30-50). at the cheapest, you could pull this off for alittle over $100.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                  hahaha my computer can do this and soooo much more (GPS, XM Radio, Rearview camera...) and it has just about every port imaginable. All for about the same price. Sorry to say this but its true
                  Your computer can play X box games!? That changes all my plans! Where can I buy your special PC?

Seriously though - what is you computer spec? X boxes cost only $175 these days.
                  Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                  Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                  Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

The problem with X Box is that its limited to only X programs. Its said that Windows runs like utter **** on the XBox. So you'd be limited to running just the X Programs. I wanted to get an X Box, and backup the X OS and install a dual boot Windows XP/Xbox and use that inside of the car, but I researched it and found out windows does not do good on the X Box for some strange reason. Something on the motherboard I guess. It is cool that you can upgrade it tho. But My XPC is a little more expensive, more upgradable, and I can run Windows XP. I'd like to find someone who has an X Box and do a full backup of thier hard drive with the X Software onto it and use the backup on my XPC to see if the XBox Software will run on a regular pc.
                    -Josh
                    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
                    My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

XBOX: DarkerStars

Comment

Working...
                    X