Hard Drive Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Mod

If you frequent the computer mod sites, you've probably seen articles on Hard Drive Window modifications. Take a look at this:
    http://www.kickassgadgets.com/plexi/plexi.asp
    http://www.linear1.org/gm/archives/00000071.php
    These are not mine, but I'll post images and video of it in action, soon.

Took around 4 hours of cutting, sanding, and polishing, but all in all a pretty simple project.

Now, how to show it off in a car???

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: PatO ]
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

????
    Whats the point?
    Its like playing a russian rulet(or however you spell it) with your hard drives life!!!
    Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
    Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Yeah, total waste of 4hours if you ask me..
      and who just has 2 spare 30gig drives sitting on a shelf??

Comment

i thought hd were sealed , and if you opened them you would get dust or otehr small particals inside , those heads sit pretty damn close to the platters. i doubt that a hd would even last a week after this.... but i maybe wrong
        stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

Comment

That has to be the stupidest mod I have ever seen. People will rice up anything.
          Impee3 Car Player

Comment

wow, thats insane! yeah, i give that hard drive a week. im sure its cool to watch but what if something went wrong and a part went flying off?? with no metal there to protect it, im sure that plexi isnt as safe.

kinda funny that you talk about pc mods, since i did just get done with putting a 15" blue neon($10 at wal-mart) in my computer. i think thats about all im going to do for modding to the case...nothing insane. my mp3car case however has a plexi window with an "mp3car audio" decal and a blue 5" neon which kicks ***.
            2004 F-150
            Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
            "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

my mayte did this with his slot load pioneer dvd drive so u can see dvd spinning

i wouldnt waste the effort or risk my drive next they will add some leds in that hdd.

Comment

Haha, idiots.
                Those drives won't last a day, especially after using a Dremel on them, and splattering tiny shrapnel all over the drive.
                Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
                Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
                In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

It's not as bad as you all think... The drive is an old WD 4Gig. Wasn't doing anything but sitting around. I placed it in an airtight bag as soon as the top came off. Only handled the drive mechanism in a dust-free environment.

Why I did it? Well, to see what happens. It's not much to look at initially, but wait 'till a fragmented file system is installed!

Anyone care to place bets on how long it'll last?

Comment

Uh, dude, a plastic baggie is no replacement for a clean room.
                    Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
                    Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
                    In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Actually, I kind of like it. I'm sure it does nothing for the reliability of the drive, but if I have some extra time I'll grab my old 10Gig Quantum I have hanging around and try it out myself. I'm not too worried about dust, mainly because the HD in my workstation at work ran without a case for 1.5 years without a problem.
                      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by RaZor:
                        <STRONG>im sure its cool to watch but what if something went wrong and a part went flying off?? with no metal there to protect it, im sure that plexi isnt as safe.
                        </STRONG>
                        Uhh... You're not supposed to take the whole drive apart! Just unscrew the top. Besides, I doubt any of the spinning parts have enough momentum to break plexi, it's pretty strong stuff.

Everyone knows the basic principles behind hard drives and how they work... But has anyone actually seen one in action? I don't know anyone who has. I'm not saying take a $300 drive and mod it, by any means. It's simply curiosity - take an old unit and see how the thing works. If it lasts more than a month, great. It's just as easy to fry a CPU by overclocking it, and people do that daily...

Comment

I have actually seen this type of mod before, it was displayed in the 1999 Minnesota State Fair, in their hall of technology. If i remember right IBM was there talking about their microdrive technology and they also had a preview for I think it was their deskstar model harddrives. The setup was quite unique at the time they had a pc setup in a glass case with the drive mounted for everyone to see. I will try to do a mod like this on an old 2.1gb maxtor to see it in action.

Comment

Don't forget the original by Holodeck2.

One of the main reason I did the mod was to refute the widely held opinions about absolute cleanliness inside of the drives.
                            The two drives I modded had been in service for over three years anyway--I didn't feel like there was much to lose. Here's a little shot of my newest one:

Just like the first but way cleaner.

I'll be posting a detailed walkthrough of the mod with pictures in the next few days.

Comment

Nice job guys. Would look great in a plexiglass case.

Pigseye

Comment

Working...
                              X