Best mini MOBO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best mini MOBO?

Whats the best mini mobo to be running, 150w power supply, and an amd xp 2600+? Basic needs are mp3, gps, dvd.....Someone reccomended me nForce2 mATX board , how is that? Money is not an issue either.... obviously nothiing like $400... but the nforce2 I can get for $80, so quality is very important. Needs to have good onboard graphics, doesnt matter about sound because I will put a sound blaster audigy2 platinum sound card in. So any suggestions? Thanks

Asus A7N8X-VM, I'll be using this with a mobile athlon. I haven't installed it in the car yet, but from the testing I've done, its a really good board. The onboard graphics are good as well.
    HERE'S the link
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

A shuttle or a chaintech nforce2 chipset board would do great, and be around your 80 dollars. Look for your wanted features. Since you will add a sound card, you don't need the MCP+T boards. For one computer, I wanted dual VGA, so I got a shuttle board, the other computer, I wanted TV out, and got a chaintech. I have three nforce2 chipset computers, each different in there own way, and I love all of them. Finicky about RAM especially when using the onboard video (and you can only run it at 333 using onboard video), but very feature rich.

Both of my boards are poor selections for overclocking or mobile CPUs though, you can't select the multiplier or stepping, so the 2400 mobile I tried to use ran at 800 mhz. (actually all three, chaintech, shuttle, and shuttle XPC).

Will it run with a 150w PS, I don't know. I have a 200w in a small case that is a multimedia PC, and it does fine. It also has a wireless PCI card, Video Capture/Tuner card, 3 80 mm fans, 2 60 mm fans, 2 3.5 hard drive, and a combo DVD/CDR drive. It has the chaintech NForce2 board, with a VGA monitor and a TV hooked up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
        Asus A7N8X-VM, I'll be using this with a mobile athlon. I haven't installed it in the car yet, but from the testing I've done, its a really good board. The onboard graphics are good as well.
        HERE'S the link
        I'll second that though ive got the VM/400 model
        CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

Originally posted by Motoko
          I'll second that though ive got the VM/400 model
          I would have gotten the VM/400 model but I only paid $40 for my board, so I saved around $50 buck.
          Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I have a biostar m7ncg 400
            http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...odel=m7ncg+400
            It works great for my needs, It has similar specs as the asus a7n8x-vm, and is slighlty cheaper. So far i have not had any problems w/ this board, it can take a beating. (ive had it for about a 1-1 1/2 yrs and used it as my test bed before i build my carputer)

However, if you plan to use the opus you should really consider the asus board. Due to a conflict witht he m7ncg and the opus you have to send the opus back to the factory for a modification so that it will work properly witht his board.

I dont know if ithe asus board has this problem but that is something you may want to look into if you go w/ a opus
            amd 1700, biostar m7ncg 400, hitachi deskstar 120 8mb , 512 pc2700, liliput 7"
            now to put it all together

Comment

The Asus A7N8X-VM and VM/400 are great board, but a pain is the arse if you use it with AMD mobile CPU because there is NO option in the BIOS or jumper to change the CPU bus/clock speed.
              For power, well the Asus work great with my custom Mastero/Sproggy 3.5/4.0. To turn on the "Resume on power loss" option work great. The SDC does it job so well on shutting down the PC. This is only a bench test. I haven't install in the car yet.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

if you are looking for really small I had a wafer 7850 1ghz board that I sold to furrballz and it appears he now has it forsale in the forsale forum... this board is tiny and more than enought to power an mp3 system and play divx...
                -- WireSix, Inc. --
                MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                  The Asus A7N8X-VM and VM/400 are great board, but a pain is the arse if you use it with AMD mobile CPU because there is NO option in the BIOS or jumper to change the CPU bus/clock speed.
                  For power, well the Asus work great with my custom Mastero/Sproggy 3.5/4.0. To turn on the "Resume on power loss" option work great. The SDC does it job so well on shutting down the PC. This is only a bench test. I haven't install in the car yet.
                  I never noticed, well never checked to see that the mobile chip runs at a lower speed. How are you getting the cpu to run at its rated speed? I've done some research over at amdmb.com and a lot of people are using the wire trick to achieve the speed they want. Have you tried this, if so were you successful?
                  Thanks
                  Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I am a big fan of Shuttles. Don't know how they compare to that Asus board though.
                    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Mini-ITX. If you want a great mini mobo, try the Epia M10000 or even the MII12000.

For a car PC they are perfect. (My opinion anyway).

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
                      : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
                      : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

Some people will think im stupid But here it goes anyway

Try to find a ECS L7VMM3 its a Onboard CPU board the CPU on it will AT LEAST be a Mobile XP1600

Mine is a XP1600 on board with a DVD a 6 gyg 2.4" HDD and a 60 gyg 3.5" HDD all of this on a Nifty old 100W ATX Psu from an Old Aptiva K6 266 and for the 9 month that i had it in my6 room to test it it NEVER had any problem or Hangup it was running 24/7 too.

I made some mesurement on that setup and when EVERYTHING was running ( DVD HDD LCD .....) it was consumming as Low as 112 W

So have fun and dont forget The CHEAPER MIGHT be the Best

MP3 Car Setup
                        AMD XP 1600 Mobile
                        MINI ITX 200W DC-DC PSU
                        LG DVD
                        Maxtor 60 Gyg the MP3 and movie
                        Toshiba 6 gyg for the OS and proggy
                        Liliput TFT LCD

Comment

Originally posted by blackpacu
                          I have a biostar m7ncg 400
                          http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...odel=m7ncg+400
                          It works great for my needs, It has similar specs as the asus a7n8x-vm, and is slighlty cheaper. So far i have not had any problems w/ this board, it can take a beating. (ive had it for about a 1-1 1/2 yrs and used it as my test bed before i build my carputer)

However, if you plan to use the opus you should really consider the asus board. Due to a conflict witht he m7ncg and the opus you have to send the opus back to the factory for a modification so that it will work properly witht his board.

I dont know if ithe asus board has this problem but that is something you may want to look into if you go w/ a opus
                          The Biostar is excellent for support of Athlon Mobile processors & general over/underclocking. It has lots of options in the BIOS. I could set it to use my Athlon mobile 2600+ at 2ghz easily, and I had overclocking room had I wanted to.

The trouble is the Opus wouldn't start the mobo (even with the modification). Oddly enough I'm now having trouble with the EPoX that replaced the Biostar as well. I suspect there may be something amiss with my Opus.

Once the Opus startup issues are resolved I would highly recommend the Biostar.
                          EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                          Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                          XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

got the vm400, nothing but troubles.
                            Mobile does not work. Swapped to a hotter 2500 chip.
                            Onboard graphics will crash your system, causing it to reboot when you try to load a dvd.
                            Buy another one.

Comment

Originally posted by pip
                              The Biostar is excellent for support of Athlon Mobile processors & general over/underclocking. It has lots of options in the BIOS. I could set it to use my Athlon mobile 2600+ at 2ghz easily, and I had overclocking room had I wanted to.

The trouble is the Opus wouldn't start the mobo (even with the modification). Oddly enough I'm now having trouble with the EPoX that replaced the Biostar as well. I suspect there may be something amiss with my Opus.

Once the Opus startup issues are resolved I would highly recommend the Biostar.
                              I am using a Biostar for my carputer right now. Took about 4 weeks and many phone calls with Opus but I got mine to work.
                              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Working...
                              X