Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone built an Epia PC behind a toyota Dash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone built an Epia PC behind a toyota Dash?

I've got a Celica GT4 1990 ST185.
    The stock design is for a double din, with a 1 din headunit and spacer/tray fitted to most euro models, with only the JDM versions using double din.

Now I want to lose the Tape Headunit that is there, and if possible fit an SP7 screen behind the space where the double din would normally go.

I'm just wondering if, with a cage/frame made up in pop rivetted angle and bar, wether I could fit an Epia M10K, an Opus 150watt, a 3.5" HDD, a D-Link DRU, and maybe slot DVD where the cup holder go.

I realise I would need to make an adaptor for the D-Link antenna, and sort an Amp out, probably below the seat, unless I could find a small 4 channel amp that will go under the PC inside the centre console, so that I can tap into the standard speaker harness through an adaptor, and arrange a remote feed for the amp and power antenna.

Audio power isn't an issue here, it is cleaness of install. Standard speakers sound OK on FM, and don't distort when I turn it up to the volume I like to use, so I will keep them for now. Don't fancy starting to pull out seats and lifting carpets.
    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

in my supra theres enough room for my m900,2.5hdd,slim dvd,opus150w, and all the wires. just took it out. to glass another 7"xga screen so i would have to say yes there is enough room back there.
    Best Technique In Life Is Having No Technique

ONE DAY I WILL LEARN HOW TO USE THE COMPUTER THE RIGHT WAY.

Comment

Originally posted by streetknight
      in my supra theres enough room for my m900,2.5hdd,slim dvd,opus150w, and all the wires. just took it out. to glass another 7"xga screen so i would have to say yes there is enough room back there.
      Ah fantastic, what I'm hoping to do is make up roughly a double din sized box (maybe slightly deeper and hopefully set back a little further if I can), that fits into the space of the standard JDM double din.

Then hopefully mount either a Lilly or SP7 TFT on the front of that, on a swing and drop mechanism (little like the sliding side door on a minibus/minivan) so the front can drop down enough to get to the slot DVD, and lock back up again with either a magnetic or hook/press catch.
      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

here is what I did to my double din.
        Using stock stereo brackets and aluminum bars.
        This is not Toyota, but it can't be that much different.

Comment

That looks very similar to what I hope to achieve. I know I'm not likely to get the screen totally flush mounted with what I plan, but that won'y be too much of a biggy in my case.
          4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

something u might want to think about trying, is getting some old brackets and 4 strips of metal and making the size of the radio installed. and fiberglassing the bottom and top and thats pretty much the whole box u would need the mobo on the bottom and the opus can go in the back. the monitor can be secured to the case. some fans and ur all set. ill so start mines for the supra. ill take a few pics here and their

Comment

Anyone worried about airflow/heat issues. There was someone at the long island meet who had one in their glove box, and during hot days in the summer, the carpc was unusable. I keep mine currently under my passenger seat and fortunately I have an acc vent under there to keep mine frigid.
              --------
              mykolJay
              99 Accord coupe
              http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
              My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

i thought of that but if u add a good fan to take air from out and push it to the other side of the dash lest say the pass. u should be fine. my non technical thought

Comment

I have a 93 ST184 convertible and I'm very familiar with how much space you have 2 to 2.5 DIN if you take out the cupholders. I do not recommend trying to fit everything in that little space. Keep in mind you still need space for cables to conect to the mobo. I installed my system in the glove box on my first install attempt but ended up opting to have the PC in the trunk which has worked out very well. I recommend installing a USB2.0 slim slot load dvd drive and possibly a memory card reader in the unused DIN slot.
                  My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Cheers EBJUSTIN.

I reckon, with a little work, and inguity I can get it in there easily (time to grab he dremel, the tin snips, and the pop rivetter), with the screen appearing semi flush fitted, but able to slide out and down to allow access to the DVD.

I did manage to get an Epia, a 3.5" HDD and a full sized 250WATT ATX PSU + all the cables into the lower box of a Saab 900, which is narrower, but deeper than a standard double din.

Cup holder will probably go, as I never use them, I find that my hand hits any bottles/cups in there but a screen in operating position won't stick out so far, and if needed I'll get a clip on one that goes on the door card or console.

Just had a look at your install page, looks pretty good.
                    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Originally posted by Skraggy_uk
                      Cheers EBJUSTIN.

I reckon, with a little work, and inguity I can get it in there easily (time to grab he dremel, the tin snips, and the pop rivetter), with the screen appearing semi flush fitted, but able to slide out and down to allow access to the DVD.

I did manage to get an Epia, a 3.5" HDD and a full sized 250WATT ATX PSU + all the cables into the lower box of a Saab 900, which is narrower, but deeper than a standard double din.

Cup holder will probably go, as I never use them, I find that my hand hits any bottles/cups in there but a screen in operating position won't stick out so far, and if needed I'll get a clip on one that goes on the door card or console.

Just had a look at your install page, looks pretty good.
                      Cool, sounds like you have a plan...please take some pics. Good Luck!
                      My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

I hope to. First thing will be that I need to get a spare lower console cover to fit the screen into.

May even need to visit Toyota for that. That could get spendy. I've also got an ISO to toyota adapter, with all the wiring clearly marked as it what it does, so I reckon
                        1) get a small 25-40 watt 4 channel amp, and feed it into the original speaker wiring (not looking for mega sound output just clear).
                        2) connect a 12v line from an Opus into both the Amp and antenna remote lines (sperarate lines make it easy) to try and avoid amp pop.
                        3)use the ignition fed 12v line to trigger the on/off of the Opus.

The rest of the wires should be unused, as I can't think of a use for the illumination line unless I can work out a way of using the serial port to switch day and night colours when the line goes hot or cold, and I reckon to be using phone control for handsfree, rather than a standard kit, if my Nokia 3650 and Bluetooth dongle will work. Otherwise I just keep using my bluetooth headset.

Hopefully it will just then require a main power source for the PC/amp/screen and I'm away.

Might just buy a second adaptor, and keep the one I have for wire reference.
                        I've got a couple of ideas for the screen, either a simple parallelogram with a magnet catch at the top (like kitchen cupboard doors use) or a press hook (like a lot of loft hatches use) so it drops slightly forward and down to access the DVD, or hinge at the bottom, and a sliding bar/rod with a stop on the end at the top, to let it tilt forward enough to get to the DVD slot. Not sure which will be easiest.

So shopping list.
                        Opus 150watt bare board from Linitx.com.
                        slot DVD and IDE adaptor from Linitx.com
                        Lilliput or SP7 touch TFT from CarTFT
                        Sheet steel or ali (steel harder to work but easier for making central grounds) B&Q.
                        thin alu or steel angle to make things to hang on. B&Q
                        MDF 12mm for top and bottom of the case (got some scraps in shed).
                        Thin Plexi for the front panel of the case behind screen (can be sprayed in satin black once everything is working). B&Q

BTW, B&Q is like HomeDepot in the UK.

Already got.
                        M10000 Epia.
                        512k ram
                        120gig HDD
                        Sitecom Bluetooth dongle
                        Deluo USB GPS.
                        Logitech Cordless keyboard (but would prefer a mini one)
                        WinTV PVR 250 or 350 with FM (have both but can't remember which is installed in my main PC, but I have that one working with Axife FM, have installed Radiator but don't want to reboot just yet as I've got a few torrents that I can't be bothered to restart).

I'm hoping this time I defiantley will do a photo log of the build. The last 2.5 attempts at setting up the car PC in it's various states I just went mad into it, planned everything and put it together in about a day, so never stopped to takes snaps.
                        4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Working...
                        X