Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offered a complete epia 1000 board.....good deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offered a complete epia 1000 board.....good deal?

ok, i've decided to devote my time into a carpc and will begin late october, but i dont have a mini pc built for the carputer yet.

I was offered a pre-built one that is apparently like new and was going to be used in a carpc but he's going to ditch it.

The cost of this will be $250.......please tell me if it's a good deal:

Included:
    - Via M10000 EPIA Motherboard/CPU
    - 256MB DDR ram Crucial/Micron stuff
    - 20gb Laptop HDD
    - 12v DC-DC Power Supply (specifically this one http://store.ituner.com/ituner/posoformi.html)
    - Custom plexi case I made for it to fit in the drivers side knee panel in my car. Case is tiny, check the pics.
    - IMac slot load DVD Drive (must be used externally, case is too small) I had this wired straight to the long IDE cable you see out the side of the case and lived in the center console right under my LCD display.
    - No *optional* LVDS connector on the board

he says he doesnt know the output of the system, but it worked fine when he booted it for testing.

I just plan to use the carputer for emulation, dvd, gps, and music.......is this sufficient and a good price?

here are images of the PC- the fourth picture is the external dvd
    Attached Files

Sounds good to me.

New 20gig Toshiba - $71 + shipping
    M10000 EPIA MoBo - $175 + shipping
    Power Supply - $30 to $50 + shipping
    256mb Ram - $40 to $60 (crucial is free shipping)

So just at that you're already saving some bucks.

I think it would be powerful enough too. I have an EPIA 800 and it does everything I want it to do. And big differences between my board and yours? Processor and video. That one would be a 1ghz Nehamiah (spelling?) mine is just a plain 800mhz C3. Your video I believe does hardware mpeg decoding, which mine does not. Should be loads better.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

what the hell is all that junk in there?
      Chris Krug
      owner, turbine minivan
      http://www.youtube.com/krugtech

Comment

any second opinions?

Comment

ditch that plexi case. 1 hole and 1 fan? I sense a heat issue, especially the way the hdd is just tossed in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity
            ditch that plexi case. 1 hole and 1 fan? I sense a heat issue, especially the way the hdd is just tossed in there.
            so it's still a worthy buy, but i should take out the parts and install them in a new case?

Comment

i see 2 fans. but i agree some more circulation would be recommended.
              VIA EPIA 533 MHz
              256 MB RAM
              7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
              20 gig HD
              Media Engine 2.1.4
              GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
              802.11b Connectivity

Comment

I disagree. I think that that's enough. I have a VCR pc that is roughly the same size, and it has a EPIA 800 in it. It only has one fan. An 80mm in Back. I've ran this thing constantly day and night downloading stuff for about 8 months. No problems at all, even when watching a DivX or XviD movie. I'm sure that it's just fine. Just don't block your intake or exhaust holes.

Edit: Maybe what I would do is drill a few holes on the ram side of the case. But only if you have heat issues. I really think you'll be ok.
                Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
                  Sounds good to me.

New 20gig Toshiba - $71 + shipping
                  M10000 EPIA MoBo - $175 + shipping
                  Power Supply - $30 to $50 + shipping
                  256mb Ram - $40 to $60 (crucial is free shipping)

So just at that you're already saving some bucks.

I think it would be powerful enough too. I have an EPIA 800 and it does everything I want it to do. And big differences between my board and yours? Processor and video. That one would be a 1ghz Nehamiah (spelling?) mine is just a plain 800mhz C3. Your video I believe does hardware mpeg decoding, which mine does not. Should be loads better.
                  the video is only mpeg acceleration. only SP and nano has hardware decoding

kao
                  CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

Comment

Well I'll be.

Damn I was close though eh?
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebaker
                      so it's still a worthy buy, but i should take out the parts and install them in a new case?
                      yes, still a decent buy. Others say it will be ok as is, and they have valid points, but I say, better safe than sorry. Besides, you wouldn't want that hard drive bouncing around while you drive, so you need to attach it somehow. Pickup a real case, then correctly mount the components. You will thank yourself later!

Comment

Originally posted by Nav_Attack
                        i see 2 fans. but i agree some more circulation would be recommended.
                        I ment case fan. The cpu fan is for the heatsink, and can't really be considered sufficient for moving air through a case.

Comment

Working...
                        X