This is a nice design for a car pc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a nice design for a car pc

I've been a member of this forum for a while but haven't started on acquiring my parts yet. Anyway, during research I came across this article and thought this was an excellent option. Question for you folks though...are the via boards with cf cards bootable through cf? I heard this wasn't the case and I suppose I could go find out at via's site but thought someone here might know.

Here's the specs...

http://news.managingautomation.com/fullstory/453704

thats cool
    looks like an amp

shouldve had pcmcia instead of cf imo though
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

I like the cf if you can boot off of it. I really want an embedded solution for a carputer. I also like the heat sync/heat dissapation potential. Mostly, I'm curious about their shock resistance since the automotive environment can be demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by tipastar
        Mostly, I'm curious about their shock resistance since the automotive environment can be demanding.
        Three years, two cars, and one accident with a 3.5" "desktop" HDD. Still runs perfect. If that's what you're worried about?
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that any laptop or general computer would hold up fine, heck the cops have been doing this for years. I'm just making the point that if there was ever going to be an oem or aftermarket solution to suit off road vehicles and average commute vehicles, this design is promising. I'll be the first to admit that I'd never buy an off the shelf pc but I will factor in some of this design while starting on my version of a carputer. Again, I could stick my laptop in the glove box attach a vga touchscreen and call it a carputer but that just seems to easy.

Comment

Working...
          X