Help: need to optimize M10000 for DIVX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: need to optimize M10000 for DIVX

Ok, so i read all the posts here and did some research and it seemed to me that if i take a M10000 and set it up with win xp pro everything should run fine.. but that is NOT the case!!

My specs are:
    M10000 NEHEMEIAH 1Ghz with 256MB DDR ram. im using a 40GB 3.5" Maxtor drive for now. and im using a slim slot loading DVD/cd-rw

Im running everything from a fresh install of win xp pro and i got the following drivers installed:
    all the drivers that came with the EPIA CD
    FFDSHOW
    DivX
    XviD
    AC3filter

when i try to watch .avi files in Windows Media player ( or MediaCar..same thing) it REALLY REALLY BOGS!!!!

the only videos that it can play smoothly are the low quality videos. Now what do i mean by low quality and high quality?
    anything that is 640x480 or anything like that... KILLS THE COMPUTER!!! video stumbles soundtrack usually gets ahead by 1-2seconds!!! and the video would slow down and either speed up to catch up or just drop frames!!

if im watching 320x240 videos its OK...but i am used to the video getting smoothed out more on my other computers.

My sony VAIO laptop at 2.8ghz and with 64mb of video memory took those video's in stride and never gave me grief...

PLEASE somebody tell me what i need to do to get these videos to play normally?? besides the fact that i CANT get the DAMN video card to show the native resolution for the lilliput (800x480) its also REALLY bad at being a media player... i am very discouraged now. what do i need to do? buy a PCI Video card? or ditch this damn VIA EPIA board ( i hate VIA, thought this is diff ) and build some other miniITX system based on nForce chipset?!?

Thanx,

Lev
    hardware: 7"lilli mx440 pci,M10k/160GB/slim-slot DVD-CDRW/Hifonics ZEUS ZX8000,CNX1260,DConnex GPS,Powermate,usb WiFi
    software: XP Home/Media Car/RoadRunner/IGuidance 2.0
    Car: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

First, let me say this. I've read reviews online before that stated any VIA board under the MII 12000 would stumble on high bitrate DIVX files. I will be buying a VIA board/proc combo, but it won't be until the EPIA SP 1.3Ghz comes out in the US.

Now, some advice. I noticed you have the ffdshow filter installed but also mention seperate DIVX codecs. The ffdshow pack is made to replace all other codecs, with the exception of AC3 filtering and matroska (mkv files)

If I were you, I would first download Mediaplayer Classic. Set it up to be the default player for all video formats. It will even play real media and quicktime video with the proper plugins.

Then, uninstall all the codecs you downloaded and just install ffdshow. Set the options in ffdshow so that it is used for all supported video types. Also, turn off any post processing that it may be doing by right clicking an active video window in Mediaplayer classic and choosing 'filters' > 'ffdshow' > 'post processing'

You should have better playback this way.

edit: Hey I just noticed you're the guy from Focaljet, I'm whiskey from over there. Thanks for that post in ICE, that's what got me over here poking around. I'm going to start molding my screen in next week. : )
    My Car

Comment

Originally posted by fasternfaster

My sony VAIO laptop at 2.8ghz and with 64mb of video memory took those video's in stride and never gave me grief...
      Well, that's not a comparison against the M10000 is it?

You'd expect a 2.8Ghz laptop to be able to playback those video's

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
      : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
      : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

What surprises me is that I read on this forum a lot of people are using the M10000 and MII 10000, and have DiVX runnning fine. I have yet to install my MII 12000 with XP and such, and hope it will be playing fine, or it will be a "thrown out of the-" carpc

I think it wouldn't hurt to upgrade directx and get the latest drivers from via on the web, the CD might have old versions.

Hope you get it running (I have 500Mhz PIII laptops running DiVX, so I hope the via performs at least half as good as a PIII)
        List of front-ends/usefull apps
        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Everything runs fine on mine !

Sometimes visualisations are not as smoth!!
          Here in Portugal we have great weather, lots of brunnets, party a lot,drink a lot....
          http://img138.echo.cx/img138/896/bannerjoshua5dy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60
            get the latest drivers from via on the web, the CD might have old versions.

I didn't notice in the first post that you have installed the drivers off the included CD. You definitely have to download the newest drivers from VIA. The ones on the CD have known issues.
            My Car

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.. i have put the laptop back in the car for now since i still dont have a shutdown controller for the carPC... in the mean time i will try what you guys have suggested.

Uninstall all codecs, re-install ffdshow
              use Classic media player
              turn off post processing
              download the latest drivers from VIA website.

oh and just to start up an old fire.. who ever sais that 800x600 looks fine on their lilliput or xenarc.. you need to put on some reading glasses!!! it looks like CRAP! i put my laptop back in and it is giving my lilli a 848x480 resolution and i could swear its the native resolution even though some people are saying its 800x480 not 848. what do i know.. 848x480 looks CRISP!! and i need to find a way to make the M10000 do that because between the bad divx playback and crappy resolution im very dissapointed with the 500 some bux i spent on this mini ITX system.... wondering if i should have built a mini ATX with an AMD athlon 1.333Ghz that i have laying around...

sigh..

thanks again for all the input.
              Lev

PS. Bootbox..thats a great car u got there!! :-D
              hardware: 7"lilli mx440 pci,M10k/160GB/slim-slot DVD-CDRW/Hifonics ZEUS ZX8000,CNX1260,DConnex GPS,Powermate,usb WiFi

Comment

848x480 looks CRISP!! and i need to find a way to make the M10000 do that

To force custom resolutions on your Lilliput... grab Powerstrip.
                My Car

Comment

M10000 is too slow for high bitrate DivX playback and you'll have to make sure you grab a special BIOS update released by VIA (search the forum) in order to get the custom resolution working. PowerStrip won't help without the BIOS update.
                  1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

Comment

i used that application on my sony laptop successfuly but the EPIA M10000 onboard graphics does NOT support custom resolutions...

so is it a WELL KNOWN fact that M10000 based carputes suk at playing high bitrate DIVX??!? cus i figured i would just jump on the bandwagon of "i have an M10000 and divx is running fine here!" i did and now look

as far as custom resolutions go i did lots of ing and im still confused. what is the definitive answer.. can i or can i NOT make this baby show the right resolution and can i make it play the damn divx..

i see people messing with emulation on these motherboards and i think thats a bit more intensive then divx.. oh i forgot to mention.... DVD playback is suks just as bad if not worse than divx

Lev

Comment

From the post above yours it seems that it will support custom resolutions with a BIOS update flash from VIA.

I did not know that, good to know though.
                      My Car

Comment

I would have to second the notion that the M10000 is a little slow for playback of DivX. DivX is CPU intensive to decode and the VIA chips just kinda suck at it. I went so far as to reencode my divx into larger MPEG files and play them that way. With DivX, 100% CPU and cannot keep up, with MPEG 55% CPU and it plays great. Kindof a pain but my desktop Linux system reencodes the files at about 4-5 minutes for a 30 minute show so I can live with it......for now.

Comment

whats a good program to use to re encode stuff ... im talkin about big files here 700megs per movie what are they like after being turned to mpeg? 1.5 gigs?

Comment

I would re-encoded to MPEG-2 using this guide.
                            My Car

Comment

Virtual Dub www.virtualdub.org is a great free program to reencode, you will also need to install codecs though.

The link above use TMPEGenc from

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...pgenc_412.html

and seems to be a good option also, but I have not used that before.

Comment

Working...
                              X