Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How finicky are your USB devices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How finicky are your USB devices?

    Every 10 boots/resumes I'll lose my all my USB devices. No power, no response or anything.

    Usually takes a few reboots to get them back too. I blame it on Gremlins, but does everyone else get the same type of USB love that I get?
    '02 GTI
    [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
    [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
    [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
    [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
    Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

  • #2
    No problems here... I have an Earthmate GPS puck, WinTV tuner box, and 3Com HomeConnect camera all connected to a RadioShack USB hub with no issues. (WinXP w/ SP2 on a Panasonic Toughbook 18)

    - Z
    It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
    What better place than here? What better time than now?

    Comment


    • #3
      Never had any problems... got a USB soundcard, USB touchscreens, USB RF remote & USB eBay GPS, USB 2.5" HDD enclosure (& 3 hubs).

      I just hate having to reinstall the USB-to-COM driver any time I unplug the GPS.

      Oh yeah, I only support USB1.1.
      95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
      ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by VanMan69
        I just hate having to reinstall the USB-to-COM driver any time I unplug the GPS.
        That shouldn't happen.
        Laidback


        The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by judoGTI
          Every 10 boots/resumes I'll lose my all my USB devices. No power, no response or anything.

          Usually takes a few reboots to get them back too. I blame it on Gremlins, but does everyone else get the same type of USB love that I get?
          I get this problem also. It is due to my USB (powered) hub i think. To solve the problem, I unplug the power and root usb cable from the hub and then plug it back in. Then the USB devices reload. I'm going to buy another hub soon and we'll see if that fixes it...
          Mercedes Benz CLK 430

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MoFo
            I get this problem also. It is due to my USB (powered) hub i think. To solve the problem, I unplug the power and root usb cable from the hub and then plug it back in. Then the USB devices reload. I'm going to buy another hub soon and we'll see if that fixes it...
            Hmm interesting. What kind of hub is it? Mine is powered, where I have 2 plugs into the board that lead into the HUB, 1 plug for the USB connection, and the other to provide power to it. Is this similiar to yours?

            I guess I could start using the on-board USB connections too, but that means I have to open my case and tool around with it... ugggg.
            '02 GTI
            [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
            [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
            [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
            [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
            Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

            Comment


            • #7
              Every time my computer hibernates, my damn USB wireless adapter stops working and has to be unplugged and plugged back in, or the whole pc has to reboot, either will fix the prob. ****es me off though. Why the hell can't stuff just work?
              Tidder

              Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


              I Wish I could ban people

              Comment


              • #8
                my powered hub seems to disappear every few 'boots one in ten or so

                then I lose my griffin, keyboard, obd11 interface and usb/ide dvd drive

                I cant track it down, but it seems to be power related, unplug replug power sorts it out and there are no loose connections
                Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by judoGTI
                  Hmm interesting. What kind of hub is it? Mine is powered, where I have 2 plugs into the board that lead into the HUB, 1 plug for the USB connection, and the other to provide power to it. Is this similiar to yours?

                  I guess I could start using the on-board USB connections too, but that means I have to open my case and tool around with it... ugggg.
                  My hub is a 4-port by cyberpower. It is powered using the same AC adapter that it came with that runs to a inverter outlet in the trunk. I think it may have began to malfunction because of excessive heat from direct sunlight (it sits on rear deck).
                  Attached Files
                  Mercedes Benz CLK 430

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Windows SP2 fixes some USB problems.

                    My usb wifi adapter had to be unplugged/plugged in every time I boot to get it to detect.

                    After SP2 no more problems.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I found one of my usb cables being 'smooshed' between my A-pillar and my dash. That was the cause of my USB port droppinbg connections constantly but still providing power. Don't know why, since the cable wasn't kinked, it was literally just smooshed. But give it a shot, as soon as I released the pressure that was on it, presto it worked like a charm again... ?
                      '02 GTI
                      [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
                      [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
                      [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
                      [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
                      Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        EMI from the pressure on the cable? I never had EMI problems in my desktop except my optical mouse goes fritzy when I turn on my case lights (VU controlled LEDs)
                        ,./(0)3

                        '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

                        [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VanMan69
                          Never had any problems... got a USB soundcard, USB touchscreens, USB RF remote & USB eBay GPS, USB 2.5" HDD enclosure (& 3 hubs).

                          I just hate having to reinstall the USB-to-COM driver any time I unplug the GPS.

                          Oh yeah, I only support USB1.1.
                          This shouldn't happen if you're always plugging back into the same port. It might if you're plugging it into a different port. This is because (if I recall correctly) the registry attaches drivers to ports. Since various devices might use the same port, the registry will also stack multiple removable device drivers on the same port - which makes sense since it's not uncommon to hot-swap devices on USB. If you move the device to a different port however, it will also have to install the driver there as well.

                          These same rules also generally apply to PCI (except the hotswapping of-course). If you move a card to a slot where you've never installed a particular PCI card, you'll have to install the driver again for the new slot. If you move it back again however, it won't ask to install the driver.

                          Bryan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                            EMI from the pressure on the cable? I never had EMI problems in my desktop except my optical mouse goes fritzy when I turn on my case lights (VU controlled LEDs)
                            Im not sure if it was EMI or not, it was pinched about 4 feet from the hub, but it killed ALL my hub devices. So it maybe have been a short of some sort, who knows?
                            '02 GTI
                            [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
                            [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
                            [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
                            [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
                            Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Laidback
                              That shouldn't happen.
                              I think it may be because I plug it into to a hub that has nothing else plugged into it, so I plug it back into a different socket each time... each time I reload the driver it assigns it a different COM #.

                              It's no big deal, though. It only gets unplugged when I'm working on the wiring and stuff.
                              95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                              ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X