Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cd-Rom in the front?

Yo all-
    Been thinking about putting my comp in the trunk, but putting the cd drive in my dash so I can play my mp3's from cd and not have to go to the trunk to change the cds. Also for dvds.

However if I run a cable this far will it screw anything up? I am not familiar on any of this, just an idea. Thanks for your help!

Peace on it

There was a thread on here about that, but I think that it was lost. Maybe some of the same people will tell you how they are doing it.

Comment

They sell external drive holders that you can put a 5.25 IDE device in then interface using a USB cable, that would be the easiest way.

Shawn

Comment

I don't think USB is fast enough for DVD though?
        95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
        mp3civic site

Comment

Dunno if it's fast enough for DVDs. But USB is basically your only option. Regular IDE ribbon cable is good for 3-4' at most.

You don't really need an external drive box, just an IDE-USB adapter without the enclosure. If you want to mount the drive in the dash, the extra box is just a pain in the a**. I've seen bare IDE-USB adapters on the 'net somewhere, so at least they exist. Or maybe you could get a USB CD-ROM drive to begin with.

Of course, that's why I have my system mounted under the glovebox in the first place...

Cheers

------------------
          Fully custom Linux-based system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Wolfsburg Edition
          Dual in-dash CD-ROMs, jogdial volume control, Sony joystick on the steering column, IR remote...
          and still more HP than MHz
          Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
          Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
          Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

Oms,
            Can you send me some specs on your in-dash setup? I drive a 1991 Jetta and if I could fit mine under the dash that would be great!
            my email is [email protected]
            or better yet just post it here for the rest of us.

Thanks!
            1983 BMW 733i
            Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
            Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

yeah i'd like to see some pics and specs too..got a website detailing this?
              Technology, Gadgets and Making Money Online
              http://www.genemills.ca

Comment

I've got a web page, but so far it only details a couple of the electrical circuits I've used:
                http://www.astron.nl/~smirnov/cramp3.html

I've been meaning to borrow a digital camera and post up some pics, like, forever. I hereby solemnly promise to get off my butt and do it very soon, and post the site here.

Falcon62Travis: I suppose your interior is identical to mine (and I like your taste in cars...) I've mounted two notebook CD-ROMs into the center console, below the ashtray. The system box itself is under the glovebox. I took out the parcel shelf to make space.

Gimme a week and I'll try to get some pics up.

Cheers

------------------
                Dual in-dash CD-ROMs, jogdial volume control, Sony joystick on the steering column, IR remote...
                Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

how are you powering the cdrom up front? from what i've seen you can use the usb for a data cable but it wont supply power
                  "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

Made a custom cable, takes power off the computer's +5V rail. It has a fuse, just in case. Maybe I wasn't clear - the CD-ROMs I use are in fact IDE. Because my whole system is up front, I can get by without USB.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Oms:
                      Dunno if it's fast enough for DVDs. But USB is basically your only option. Regular IDE ribbon cable is good for 3-4' at most.

You don't really need an external drive box, just an IDE-USB adapter without the enclosure. If you want to mount the drive in the dash, the extra box is just a pain in the a**. I've seen bare IDE-USB adapters on the 'net somewhere, so at least they exist. Or maybe you could get a USB CD-ROM drive to begin with.

Of course, that's why I have my system mounted under the glovebox in the first place...

Cheers

Couldn't you use SCSI? I'm not absolutely positive, but I think external SCSI can run at least 6' which should be long enough... plus it's about as fast as IDE, certainly fast enough for DVD (of course, you're gonna have to get a SCSI DVD-ROM and a SCSI controller.)

I know that when I build my carputer I'll use SCSI. It seems to be more stable than IDE and I know (from experience) that SCSI hard drives can take more jarring than IDE drives. Plus you can hook like 7 devices onto one SCSI chain, as opposed to 2 on an IDE chain. I'm not a huge supporter of SCSI or anything (I have no SCSI devices in my home PC,) but SCSI seems to be better than IDE for use in a car.

-Hobartrus

Comment

SCSI is a terrific option for all this, but the expense is usually what turns people off. Personally, I consider the hard drives in a mp3car system to be the most replace-prone part. Why? because of price and size. Most people will only grow their collection, and so larger and larger drives may be necissary. If it's possible to use cheap IDE drives with the USB enclosure, then it will cost much less in the long run for drive upgrades.

SCSI is great technology, but not the best value. USB IDE is the best value, but worse on ruggedness and speed. With DVD, someone will have to actually determine how the performance of a DVD over a USB connection is, before one can make a good decision on it. If it doesn't work, SCSI may be the only option (short of relocating the computer). If it works fine, then the USB/IDE option may be the best value.

IMHO! The value issue is critical. If we're all paying for premium equipment to build these systems, it's going to be even MORE dissapointing when they fail (and they will)....

Some days, that AWIA in-dash mp3/cd player looks really enticing... but it can't navigate or take video, so I'll keep tinkering.

-M
                        Public PGP key available on http://keyserver.pgp.com/pks/lookup?...@MyRealBox.com

Comment

Well, besides being so bloody expensive, there's another little problem with SCSI - I don't think you can find any SCSI notebook CD-ROM drives. Regular tray-loading drives are no good for the car, because they let the disk bounce around inside, and end up scratching it all over (you can try this at home. Shake a drive up & down while it's reading a disk.) Notebook drives have spring clips on the spindle that keep the disk nice & snug. Besides, they're much smaller than regular drives, which makes mounting them a lot easier.

As for cost, I picked up two IDE notebook CD-ROMs for $20 each on eBay.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Oms (edited 11-03-2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Oms:
                            Well, besides being so bloody expensive, there's another little problem with SCSI - I don't think you can find any SCSI notebook CD-ROM drives.
                            Sure you can. I'm looking at one right now. They come with very useful PCMCIA SCSI card. I don't know if they still make them, but they were rather popular a few years ago. I'm sure they are available on eBay.

------------------
                            Aaron Cake
                            London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
                            Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

You dont HAVE to use notebook drives.

Slot load DVD drives (like a regular car CD player) dont cost all that much, plus you get the added coolness of telling people you built a system that looks like the very expensive alpine DVD player

------------------
                              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                              I'M DEBT FREE!!
                              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Working...
                              X