Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PC to control lighting.

Hey All,

I have an interesting idea, does anyone know if there is a device/control unit that can send a 12V DC signal on command from a a serial port? If i wanted to control strobe lights or neon from my PC? not outputing the power from the PC but using the PC to "flip the switch"?

Any ideas, please e-mail me [email protected]

Shawn

This company sells serial-based relay control units. Should work if you write the software to control it: http://www.controlanything.com/

Comment

www.discolitez.com--try it. Also I've been researching using Natnl semi's LM3915 chip to build a five band spectrum analyser LED display. That might help you as well.

Comment

I have some stuff posted about a home built parallel port LED VU meter. It may be of some help.
        http://www.eclipse.net/~cevans97/mp3car/vu.html

-------------------------------------

I just checked out the discolitez site... that could have saved me a whole lot of work.

[This message has been edited by Blackwind (edited 10-30-2000).]

Comment

you can also use your serial out only. DTR and RTS can be used to trip a low voltage relay. So you can control 2 items with one serial port. You can also use your LPT but I have not played with that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by etsicc View Post
            you can also use your serial out only. DTR and RTS can be used to trip a low voltage relay. So you can control 2 items with one serial port. You can also use your LPT but I have not played with that at all.
            OMG, you so deserve to be flamed for bringing back a 7 year old topic.

Crawdaddy
            1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
            2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

Would that not work? I thought gguy was asking for some solutions. My bad

Comment

Worth a whore point I suppose.

However I think they have moved on, if you can use the USB port rather than serial there is the Fusion Brain, developed and sld by two erstwell members on this forum, plus there is the velleman relay kits. Hell there are loads of relay kits out there, do a search for relay kits.

Comment

Working...
                X