Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microATX vs MiniITX

Good day all:

I am new to this carputer creation, and I am currently in the planning stages of my own carputer. After reading through multiple, multiple threads I have a few questions.

As of now my proposed configuration is as follows:

Mobo/CPU Combo: AthalonXP 2600+ (not sure exactly the model no. for the mobo, but it has everything integrated)

HDD: 2.5", 60GB
    RAM: PC2100 512MB
    LCD: 7" touchscreen, in-dash (from digitalWW)
    DVD: slim drive, slot loaded

I believe that is a list of all the major components. Here is my issue. What are the benefits of using a MicroITX board as compared to the setup as listed above? I am learning more about the power supplies, and I really like the feature of the Opus where it automatically shuts down the pc. However, I will get more performance out of the Athalon.

As you can see my mind is very scattered. I have been researching for nearly 2 months now, and I am still coming up with questions. Another question I have is related to the Opus power supplies. If the power supply send the command to the pc to go to standby mode, will it remain in stay in standby mode until the car is started again? And if that is the case won't it cause the battery to drain?

Please, if possible, provide some information on these issues. Like I said, I am in the planning stages, and I am open to all comments and/or critisms.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Steve Racine
    [email protected]

2004 Pontiac Grand AM GT
    Progress [------------] 0% (Planning)
    [email protected]
    [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 100% (Audio - Bumpin)
    [--------------------] 0% (CarPuter - Planning)

If you want to try to put the computer in a space the Micro ATX won't fit, but the Mini-itx will, then that is the biggest reason.

I am putting mine in a 7x7x2 1/8 box, that means I have to go with mini-itx. Power requirements and heat are two other reasons you touched on also.

If I had a place to put it, I would go with a Micro-ATX board. Cheaper, better performance, more options. But I am impressed with the ME6000 that I got, better than I had expected. It is obviously not going to match a 2600+. It will do everything I want it to do.

Comment

The only reason I would go with ITX vs mATX is for space. ITX will be more expensive. You can get pretty close to the low power consumption / heat of the ITX with a mATX if you go with an equally slow processor.

Also consider getting a mobile anthlon rather then a regular one, there only slightly more expensive and cut your power reqt almost in half for them.

S3 Standby mode will only consume a few milliamps it will take weeks to kill your battery, it should not be a concern, just make sure your USB devices etc are killed in standby.

Yes the OPUS should control your computer properly so it should startup / shutdown when you start / turn off your car whether you have it goign to standby or not.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

I know this is a very "noob" question, but can I get an Opus power supply, to control the auto shutdown/poweron, for use with the MicroATX board? I do not know very much about them, and I was wondering if there has been any major issues, or problems with installs/applications of the power supply. I guess I'm wondering personal experiences with the Opus brand of power supply. Thank you for the quick and helpful posts.
        [email protected]

Comment

Just FYI, this is a similar setup to what I am looking at right now:

M863G SiS 741GX/963L
          Chipset 266/333MHz
          FSB DDR333
          AGP 8x 2PCI 1CNR
          Audio LAN video
          MicroATX 863G microATX. with cpu -
          Athlon XP 2600+ 2.13GHz 333 MHz with Heatsink & Fan Complete Combo kit.

Thanks again!
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by quickshot56
            I know this is a very "noob" question, but can I get an Opus power supply, to control the auto shutdown/poweron, for use with the MicroATX board? I do not know very much about them, and I was wondering if there has been any major issues, or problems with installs/applications of the power supply. I guess I'm wondering personal experiences with the Opus brand of power supply. Thank you for the quick and helpful posts.
            The Opus will work with every ATX/ITX MB that I am aware of.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Brady:

I see that you are using a setup similar to the one I am looking to build. How is it working for you? Are you using the integrated video/audio? How is the power supply working?
              [email protected]

Comment

Just FYI, this is a similar setup to what I am looking at right now:

M863G SiS 741GX/963L
                Chipset 266/333MHz
                FSB DDR333
                AGP 8x 2PCI 1CNR
                Audio LAN video
                MicroATX 863G microATX. with cpu -
                Athlon XP 2600+ 2.13GHz 333 MHz with Heatsink & Fan Complete Combo kit.

Thanks again!
                What's the cost and how much power does it use?

Comment

If you use mATX, get an Athlon XP mobile chip instead of regular one. Those doesnt' consume that much power, less heat, ... But also be aware that if the mobo doesn't have OC options via BIOS or jumpers, those mobile won't work as you expect. You have to hardwire mod the mobile to get it right.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                    If you use mATX, get an Athlon XP mobile chip instead of regular one. Those doesnt' consume that much power, less heat, ... But also be aware that if the mobo doesn't have OC options via BIOS or jumpers, those mobile won't work as you expect. You have to hardwire mod the mobile to get it right.
                    when you talk about OC options are you referring to Over Clocking? And how will it act differently? I will most likely go with the MicroATX purely because they are cheaper and I have more experience with them. However, I have never purchased a mobile chip before. Another issue that I have is I am unsure if I will use onboard video or use a GeForce 3 that I can get from my friend for like $15-20. Would that not be advantageous?
                    [email protected]

Comment

Brady:

I see that you are using a setup similar to the one I am looking to build. How is it working for you? Are you using the integrated video/audio? How is the power supply working?
                      Works great. No problems at all. I am using a BioStar MB with an onboard GForce 4 MX. I paid $40 for the micro ATX MB and that saved me having to buy an extra video card/sound card. Only a few things I would have done differantly: I wouldn't have purchased a BioStar because you have to tell Opus about it when you order your PSU so they can do something special to get it to work. Not worth the hassle although it works perfectly. I would have also tried to get a Micro-ATX MB with the 12V input so I could run my CPU fully clocked. Have it underclocked to 2000+. I guess it isn't a big deal since it uses less power and I would never need the extra speed but it took me awhile and a few phone calls with Opus for us to figure that I needed to underclock it (computer kept reseting when starting windows).
                      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                        I have the same question as quickshot56, with OC are you referring to over clocking and what sort of changes need to be made in the CMOS or jumpers to accomodate a Mobile CPU?
                        BIOSTAR M7NCG400 : AMD-M ATHLON XP 2400+ : VANTEC AIRFLOW : 512 MB 3200 RAM : XENARC 700TSVB : MSI 128MB DDR MX4000 : MONSTER 300 WATT INVERTER

Comment

Working...
                        X