Help please - seting up mp3 box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - seting up mp3 box

Im currently installing drives / windows to my computer but i keep get ting I/O Disk erros when it trys to boot off the HDD. Also i am getting Secondary IDE Conflitcs. Any ideas ? =\ thanks

Check to see that the drives are properly configured as master/slave on both IDE channels.

Comment

they are...and i know they work

Comment

Check to make sure the drive is properly configured in the bios

Comment

well it shows the drive as proper size, make, model in the bios but when it gets past and i try to install win98 it just says i dont have a drive there at all..

Comment

have you FDISK'd it yet? You will need to format it and then create a primary dos partition for windows to see it.

Comment

Or rather the inverse of that..

Make a partition, tag it active, then format..
              I cheat, I own an empeg.
              Meskimen's Law: There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.
              http://civic.mp3car.com

Comment

I know...but when i run Fdisk it says there arent ANY drives...its not recognizing it once it gets past the BIOS

Comment

Was there anything on the HD before?
                  95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
                  mp3civic site

Comment

windows.

Comment

When you go into the bios - is there an 'auto detect' option (most motherboards now have it).
                      Also, you say drives - as in plural. Try one at a time to see if they are conflicting with each other.
                      Another thing, boot from a floppy disk and try the following:-
                      1) fdisk and remove all partitions,
                      2) type "C:/> fdisk /mbr " This formats the master boot record on the disk (track zero).
                      3) fdisk a partition onto it.
                      4) activate it
                      5) format it.

Then boot from the win98 cd and it should (in theory and a perfect world!) see the drive and you should be away!

Let us know if you have any problems.
                      Best regards,

Darren Thrower
                      http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

Are you sure there aren't any NTFS partitions (Win NT/Win 2000)on there. You said there was windows on this harddisk.
                        Windows 98 bootdisks cannot handle these partitions. In case, boot with a (evaluation) cd of win 2000 launch setup to the point it asks you what partition to install to. Erase all partitions and quit the setup. You're disk is completely blank now. Go ahead with windows 98.

Comment

If there was any partitions on this disk that windows (any version) didn't know about, fdisk would simply see them as unknown and you would be able to delete them using "delete NON-DOS partition"
                          Best regards,

Darren Thrower
                          http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

Let's start from the beginning:

1. Do the drives detect properly in the BIOS? Are the jumpers set right?

2. Load the BIOS Defaults. Make sure that the Secondary IDE controller is enabled.

3. Boot from a floppy, run FDISK and DELETE all partitions from the HD.

4. Reboot from a floppy, creat a primary partition and mark it active.

5. Reboot from a floppy, format the partition with FORMAT C: /S.

6. Remove the boot floppy and reboot the machine. Does it boot to a command prompt from C?
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I've found that the Linux FDISK utility is much better at detecting and dealing with weird partitions than the DOS/Win FDISK. If you don't have a Linux machine handy, try downloading TOMSRTBT. It's a single disk distribution, so once you've made the disk just put in in your drive and reboot. The FDISK utility that comes with it is excellent, plus Linux detects practically every type of partition known. You can use this to delete whatever partitions are on the disk and to create new FAT partitions for Windows. If you're new to the Linux FDISK utility, then this article should help.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X