PC performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC performance

alright, I want to up the speed of my computer (home, not car).

it's 2.8 ghz P4, 512 RAM. It's been running a little slow for me lately, and I was looking into buying RAM, because its when I'm running lots of programs and burning CDs and all that that it lags. Before I did this, I wanted to make sure that the processor wasn't also "maxed out" during these times of peak performance. Is there any diagnostic program / tricks that I can use to figure this out ?

thanx
    I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

www.neoterikos.com

Originally posted by pimpJ
    alright, I want to up the speed of my computer (home, not car).

it's 2.8 ghz P4, 512 RAM. It's been running a little slow for me lately, and I was looking into buying RAM, because its when I'm running lots of programs and burning CDs and all that that it lags. Before I did this, I wanted to make sure that the processor wasn't also "maxed out" during these times of peak performance. Is there any diagnostic program / tricks that I can use to figure this out ?

thanx
    Built into Windows XP. Ctrl + Alt + Del /click on performance.
    Definitely need more RAM. I would get at least 256MB.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

In windows if you bring up the task manager(ctrl-atl-del) and then go to the performance tab it should tell you the CPU usage, my bet is on the RAM. Also check for spyware.

EDIT: Bah, beat me while i was typing.
      Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

Originally posted by brady
        Built into Windows XP. Ctrl + Alt + Del /click on performance.
        Definitely need more RAM. I would get at least 256MB.
        I've got 512
        I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

www.neoterikos.com

Comment

if it isn't your ram, i cuz just be you have to many programs running in the background and using up your ram...how big is your harddrive?

i have the same set up, only difference i have a prescott chip but still a p4 2.8
          Download Skin For FrodoPlayer 1.0.9

Comment

Originally posted by kefka_killer
            In windows if you bring up the task manager(ctrl-atl-del) and then go to the performance tab it should tell you the CPU usage, my bet is on the RAM. Also check for spyware.

EDIT: Bah, beat me while i was typing.
            I'm good on spyware, no probs there

I didn't trust the ctrl-alt-dlt data.. I don't know why..

It was saying like 15-20%, in which case it's def. the RAM. I assumed that was wrong.. maybe not

www.neoterikos.com

Comment

i think he means 256 more for a total of 768
              VIA EPIA 533 MHz
              256 MB RAM
              7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
              20 gig HD
              Media Engine 2.1.4
              GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
              802.11b Connectivity

Comment

HD is 55 gb, 49 used. I've been considering updating.. there's also a ton I could delete. would that make a diff. at this point ?

www.neoterikos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nav_Attack
                  i think he means 256 more for a total of 768
                  I get it. If I up it I'll probly just get a gig

as long as we're on the topic. dual channel 1024 mb vs. 2 seperate 512 mb sticks ? any universal advantages ? or is it on a system to system basis ?

www.neoterikos.com

Comment

it can make all the difference, u should upgrade your hd or just delete unwanted programs and file that you dont use.. i have a 120gb harddrive and only have 20 gibs left, but when it was new it was alot faster then now,

Comment

Originally posted by WeeZyFellA
                      it can make all the difference, u should upgrade your hd or just delete unwanted programs and file that you dont use.. i have a 120gb harddrive and only have 20 gibs left, but when it was new it was alot faster then now,
                      interesting, I'll do that

www.neoterikos.com

Comment

I'm good on spyware, no probs there

I didn't trust the ctrl-alt-dlt data.. I don't know why..

It was saying like 15-20%, in which case it's def. the RAM. I assumed that was wrong.. maybe not
                        Trust it. It is your RAM. That or an overly fragmented hard drive. But it is your RAM.
                        And yes I meant at least 256MB more.
                        Installed.

Comment

i also add another 512mb kingston ram, so i have 1024mb
                          that helped speed up the programs when i was multi-tasking, especially when workin with photoshop and the internet at the same time

if anything upgrade your ram and delete the garabe off your hd

Comment

HD is 55 gb, 49 used. I've been considering updating.. there's also a ton I could delete. would that make a diff. at this point ?
                            Also have you defraged lately?

My Computer> Right Click C:> Properties> Tools> Defrag

Run it right before you go to bed and leave your computer on
                            Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

I get it. If I up it I'll probly just get a gig

as long as we're on the topic. dual channel 1024 mb vs. 2 seperate 512 mb sticks ? any universal advantages ? or is it on a system to system basis ?
                              Mmmm dual channel 1024MB. I hope you have a lot of money.
                              Installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X