Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help taking a device apart

Hello everybody,
    I need your help disassembling a device I have.
    I opened it up yesterday and all of boards are glued (Epoxy?) to the case and I can't just pull them out. What would be the best way to undo those glue thing?

Do I cut using Dremel? or should I heat up with something?
    Also, I don't want to mess up the case either.

Any suggetions?
    Attached Files

Heating will probably cause damage to the case. Is the glue stuff soft enough to cut with a hobby knife (eg: x-acto knife)?
    EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Originally posted by edikp
      Heating will probably cause damage to the case. Is the glue stuff soft enough to cut with a hobby knife (eg: x-acto knife)?
      That stuff is hard. I haven't done anything yet, but if I were to cut with a knife, it could take long time.

If I use Dremel, could dust from this stuff cause any harm to the board?

Comment

should be fine. Point a fan at you while you grind to blow particles off the componenets, nothing looks open other than that speaker
        ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
          should be fine. Point a fan at you while you grind to blow particles off the componenets, nothing looks open other than that speaker
          Thanks guys.
          I guess it's Dremel time!

Comment

If Im right :

By looking at it, the glue look like it came from a hot glue gun, they are kinds rubbery. It cant be epoxy cause I can see the "thread" from the glue.

I have removed them by using a soldering iron to melt the glue while I lift the board from the case. Dremel it if you feel more confident that way.

Comment

A heated knife might work well too.

Comment

Working...
              X