Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Hybrid]XmDirect Cable Power/serial Question.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Hybrid]XmDirect Cable Power/serial Question.....

    My 1st concern is powering this unit. What would be the best way to power this thing in the car?

    2nd concern is that this thing works with a serial connection, correct??
    I will be using my only serial port for my GPS.

    Is there any other way around this? If not it looks like i will be spending the extra money on a XMPCR - [no extra power needed, 1 USB plug]
    [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
    [iGmon]
    Download MP3 MixTapes

  • #2
    just get a serial-->usb adapter.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

    Comment


    • #3
      You can buy the timetrax unit that is already USB.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Can't get cheaper than this

        for power, cigarette lighter, battery, your 12V rail on the PC PSU, get creative. It was done specifically for in car use. no adapters, no conversion. just plug & play

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by god_of_cpu
          You can buy the timetrax unit that is already USB.
          Thanks I forgot about that, $100 bucks for everything-incl.USB
          only bad thing is that the ETA is 4-6 weeks
          [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
          [iGmon]
          Download MP3 MixTapes

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kingtut
            Can't get cheaper than this

            for power, cigarette lighter, battery, your 12V rail on the PC PSU, get creative. It was done specifically for in car use. no adapters, no conversion. just plug & play
            "your 12V rail on the PC PSU" Might sound dumb, but what does that mean......i have no idea about powering[how they work] things especially in a car, thats another problem i face when Im set to hook up my carPC
            [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
            [iGmon]
            Download MP3 MixTapes

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by camsgs3
              "your 12V rail on the PC PSU" Might sound dumb, but what does that mean......i have no idea about powering[how they work] things especially in a car, thats another problem i face when Im set to hook up my carPC
              Inside your PC the power plugs that connect to your hard drives, cdrom and other devices have 12V and 5V power to them. You could make a simple plug in your PC case to connect to the XMdirect cable of your choice, connect that to the 12V +&- wires of a hard drive power plug in the PC and your done. When you boot the PC the XM unit would power up with it.

              Comment

              Working...
              X