"Delaying" a 12 volt signal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Delaying" a 12 volt signal?

It may be late, I may be a little fried from exams and the such, but I'm usually pretty quick on figuring out this kinda stuff.

I need to "delay" a 12 volt signal getting to one part of a project I'm working on. Something like this....

Switched +12v ----> Delay of sorts ----> Delayed Switched +12v

I basically need to prevent a relay from turning on too quickly.
    (A huge length of wire won't work...so don't suggest it...)

Any suggestions?
    2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
    7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
    80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

You can use an RC network to implement a delay. Search the forums for examples.
    2004 4runner

Comment

Just found it. See? Too much work, and not enough sleep hurts.

Unless you're a programmer. But that was last semester.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

(A huge length of wire won't work...so don't suggest it...) <<< hahahaha
        Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

We use special delay relais. You have them in 2 versions:
          1: Give em power, they wait a period of time and switch in
          2: Unpower them and they wait a period of time to switch off

You need the 1st one, ill look for you if i can find it somewhere.

In the meanwhile here's a scheme:

Its for 230v ill make a 12v version with a capacitator and a relais if you want to

edit: you should look at the topic sticky in the forum

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...tid=4455&stc=1
          05155'30"N 0434'31"E

Comment

I'm no expert on these things, but wouldn't using a 555 timer be easier?

Comment

No, the RC network is what I was looking for. Now, all I have to do is find a resistor that is low enough not drop the voltage too far. And match a capacitor to it.

The 555 timer would work in one shot mode, but not for the size I'm working with.
              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Kiltjim
                If you look in the sticky "scematics" theres som nice delay circuits, which are rather simple circuit's.
                There's somthing rotten in the state of Denmark.

Finished IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 99,5%
                M10000, 256mb, 20gb 2,5" drive, 7" vga touchscreen.

Comment

If you need an easy way, just get the PAC TR-7 universal trigger module from your local car audio shop. It's also known as "Alpine Video Bypass" module on ebay.

00 Galant
                  armadaE500 P3-660 320M 20G, lilliput, audigy2NX, slim/slotLoad dvd/cdrw, cardReader
                  sony rm-x2s, bu303, xmDirect
                  xpPro sp2, frodoPlayer 1.09, iGuidance 2.0, custom voiceRecognition
                  custom shutdownController

Comment

Here's what you need to do; I just did this in my car yesterday. You need to buy a DEI pulse timer relay. The part number is 528T. Basically what it does is when it receives a signal (can be + or -) it will disconnect a wire for a set amount of time (you can adjust it from 0 to 90 seconds). Which sounds like what you are wanting to do. Here is a link for the part http://www.drdetailshop.com/528T.htm

I saw them on ebay going for like 6 bucks and I got my from a local shop for $10.50. So I don't think you should buy it from the link above.

I didn't read the replys so if this is redundent I apologize.

Comment

Throttle back there gentleman. The RC network works for what I'm trying to do. Its all very informational, but I'm working with point to point soldering here. This most of this stuff would work for someone working on a car scale.

Thank you for all of you help though. I'll keep all this stuff in mind.
                      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
                        (A huge length of wire won't work...so don't suggest it...)
                        LOL. 186,000 miles per second. 10 second delay. 1,860,000 miles of wire. 13.49 for 35 feet is 39cents a foot. 1,860,000 miles is 9,820,800,000 feet. Thats a grand total of 3.8 billion dollars. The length would be long enough to go around the earth 77 times. Maybe they will give you a discount since you are buying in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by justICE
                          LOL. 186,000 miles per second. 10 second delay. 1,860,000 miles of wire. 13.49 for 35 feet is 39cents a foot. 1,860,000 miles is 9,820,800,000 feet. Thats a grand total of 3.8 billion dollars. The length would be long enough to go around the earth 77 times. Maybe they will give you a discount since you are buying in bulk.
                          You have quite a bit of time on your hands don't ya? lol

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
                            The 555 timer would work in one shot mode, but not for the size I'm working with.
                            I didn't mean draw the current from the 555, obviously - couple it with a FET. But whichever.

re: bajillion feet of wire delay 'circuit'
                            You forgot to consider that the wire is going to need to be some horrendously negative gauge wire to prevent voltage drop over that distance. Going to cost much more than $3 billion

In a parallel thought: they (always the mysterious 'they') are able to make exotic materials that slows light to a crawl. I wonder if the same is possible for electrons?

Comment

Originally posted by justICE
                              Maybe they will give you a discount since you are buying in bulk.
                              I work there. I would get a discount. But I don't think that much wire is gonna be able to surface mounted.

Originally posted by mushin
                              In a parallel thought: they (always the mysterious 'they') are able to make exotic materials that slows light to a crawl. I wonder if the same is possible for electrons?
                              I read this about 3 months ago in one of my many physics magazines. They have managed to 'slow' light in essence. They (and in this case its not mysterious I think they were British) somehow worked with lasers of some strange wavelength, and managed to make it travel a long distance in a longer period of time then it should've taken. It had something to do with specialized wavelengths, and some greek characters that made my brain hurt at that time.

It won't work with electrons though. They don't listen to physicists. Dumn electrons.
                              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Working...
                              X