Mobo and processor choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobo and processor choices

I am trying to get serious about sitting down and planning my carputer, but school work has been kicking my butt. I guess my question is this....I'm not looking for a response that says " " or " " cause I have been ing for nearly 2.5 months.

I am looking for personal opinions here.

MicroATX board with either a standard processor (AMD 2600+) or Mobile processor.

-OR-

MiniITX board with the M10000 processor that everybody has been talking about.

My concern is this: I know absolutely nothing about the M10000 processors. I have been building desktop machines for quite some time now, but I do not know much about that particular chipset.

So, with that, what are the configuarations (mobo + processor) that have been used and resulted in zero (0) problems.

Also, what are the configurations to AVOID AT ALL COSTS..lol...

Thanks in advance. I check this site at least 10 times a day....the amount of knowledge here is awesome.

Take care all!
    [email protected]
    [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 100% (Audio - Bumpin)
    [--------------------] 0% (CarPuter - Planning)

almost forgot....I have pretty much decided to use an Opus power supply. It seems to be very useful with the auto-shutdown...

thanks again!
    [email protected]

Comment

OK you have made the easy decision the PS is an opus.

The other points, What do you want this machine to do, Just MP3s? use any old pentium class CPU and board.

The size factor depends on where the instal needs to fit. Smaller is more expensive.

My very real suggestion is look in the project forum for ideas and what has worked for others. Many posible answers to your question.
      Do you want to play DVDs, DiVIX, MP3s... how about navigation and engine readouts.

I think you could look at a P3 class CPU on a mATX board with integrated VID/Sound and be happy.

The questions you should have answers for are: What is your budget? Where does this have to fit? What do you want it to do?

Then you can plan it out.

My current solution the answers to those questions where: No money (it did not work), Behind the seat of my truck (easy), and Play music without comercials with my current head unit (RCA inputs in the back)
      The first gen was a PC with an inverter, I did not like the results but that was years ago.
      Second Gen P200 MMX with an ISA sound card, It did everything I needed.
      2.5 is now a Celeron 300a on an integrated board, I use a keypad to control winamp and have a 14" LCD. The whole set up moves between our 2 cars in a couple of munites.

Hope that helps
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I agree with TruckinMP3, first thing you need to do is define what you want your system to do. Do you want to connect your cell phone for internet access, have a gps program, listen to mp3's, etc....? Is it important to be able to leave the pc on overnight to do updates and sync files? Will you be watching DVD's, burning CD's, etc...? How much room do you have to put the install in?

There is a wealth of information on these forums. With that info there are many ways to accomplish the same goal (example....inverter / DC power supply debate). Do what fits your budget and needs. Remember to overlook the "fluff" and get the things that are important.

My system fits my needs. It is an ongoing transformation. Therefore, I decided my biggest priority was to be able to upgrade and expand my system. So, an all in one setup withone or two pci slots was not the answer for me. I also like to sit in the house and upgrade the car pc through my network. In order to be able to do this, I ruled out the DC-DC power supply. I found it was easier to have an inverter with a regular atx p/s. That way, when I pull into the garage, I can connect my network cable, drop an extension cord into the trunk and let the thing run all night. Sound was important to me also, so I wanted to be able to put in an Audigy pci card. For video I wanted TV capability so I put in an ATI AIW 8500DV card. These are things I probably couldn't have accomplished with a case the size of a cd player and built in hardware.

As far as stability, I have been very happy with my setup. Yes, with the engine not running while I am sitting in the car, I can hear the inverter. But once moving, normal road noise and the sound of the VTEC engaging from 5,500 to 8,000 RPM quickly drown out any inverter noise.

Best advice.... read through others setups to get ideas, but think outside the box and make yours the way YOU want it.

Batman
        [email protected]
        www.samshomepage.net

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions. I will read through the posts. I am going to build something to play mp3s, mpegs, dvds. I plan on mounting a usb port in my dash to transfer new songs, music videos, etc with a thumb drive. I am looking at getting the 7in in dash touch screen (the xenarc). I plan on mounting it in the truck because I want to have the ability to take it out of my car, should it have to sit for an extended period of time.

I have a majority of the components picked out for the computer. I really am just trying to decide what would suffice for me. I believe that integrated video would be acceptable, as I am not going to do any gaming, only video encoding. However, I have an 8 speaker monsoon setup in my car, so I might be looking for a better option for sound. I do not want to get the Opus 150w ps because of the STEEP price, so the less draw the better, but I have not examined the power draw from the components as of now.

Thank you again for the help!

If anything else comes to mind from what I just posted please let me know.
          [email protected]

Comment

Another thing I forgot...my mind is horrible...GPS could be a "future enhancement"...so I definately dont want to limit myself and not be able to have that option.
            [email protected]

Comment

I did some research on processor power consumption, and the processor I chose with the best "bang for the watt" is the pentium 4 1.8GHz and a microATX board. The reason for the processor choice is that along with the transition to 1.8GHz Intel adopted a smaller micron fabrication process (and the processor core changed from the older Williamette with 256k L2 cache to 512k L2 cache) which results in much lower power consumtion, even though the operating speed of the processor is faster. Lower power consumtion also means less heat dissipation. The mobo I got has the new ATI chipset on it, but in hindsight I'd get a board with an nForce chipset on it, because I believe the onboard graphics (geforce) should be capable of 800x480 out of the box (standard res for those 7" widescreen lcds).

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter007
                SNIP
                The mobo I got has the new ATI chipset on it, but in hindsight I'd get a board with an nForce chipset on it, because I believe the onboard graphics (geforce) should be capable of 800x480 out of the box (standard res for those 7" widescreen lcds).
                Nice info, I think the nForce integrated boards are made to support AMD CPUs. (from memory) So if you are interested in an INTEL CPU this may not be possible.

As for the PS options I am using a 'PC power and cooling' DC to DC unit, i do not recall the price. It is still made but not listed on thier website. I know at least one member here did not have a good experiance but several of us have been fine.
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                X