newby help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newby help...

Hi i am from the UK and i am just about to begin my carputer install. To make the install as simple as possible i have chosen to use a laptop like THIS to run in the boot or under a front seat.

From this laptop i want to play my mp3s and dvd's from the built in dvd player which seems fairly simple.

I understand to power the laptop i need an inverter which plugs into the cigarette lighter, which i can then chop the connect of and hard wire it to the cars electrical system (with a fuse). Also i will probably be removing the switch from the laptop for power and extending the wires to the dashboard where the switch will be newly located.

Right, i also want to run a USB Satellite Navigation system (GPS). I am pretty sure that this laptop only has USB 1.1? therefore will i still be able to run a USB sat nav system? if not are there any parts available to convert a laptop to USB 2.0?

Last of all, the screen, i am looking at the lilliput screens on ebay, 7" touch screen. This aswell will need a USB connection to the laptop for touch screen to work right? so again i need to know if that is possible with the speed of the USB built into the laptop,

sorry for so many questions,

thanks,

Liam.

GPS will work just fine with USB 1.1. USB 2 and 1 and compatible, the only difference is speed, and USB 1 is already 100X faster then the GPS requires. Same with the Lilliput, it doesn't need anything faster then USB 1.X so it'll work fine.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

from what i know
      (1) most (if not all) gps mouse's run of 1.1 so your fine
      (2) usb 1.1 is fine for touch screen

that should help

Comment

cool, thanks a lot, that has made everything alot simpler, just one more question, i am a bit of a sound quality freak, and although i know ill never get as good sound from a laptop as my alpine head unit, but what is a good way to maximize the quality of the sound from the laptop?

Id rather not just run from the head phone jack and have muffled music

thanks.

Comment

Some people use USB audio cards to good effect. You might check those out.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

Comment

are you removeing your alpine to install the touchscreen? If not can you just use the aux to bring the sound in from the laptop?

Also I have a T22 and a T30 on my desk @ work and the T22 does infact only have one usb 1.1, you can of course get a usb hub, or if you are planning on useing the laptop out of the car as well as in it you can use the port replicater / docking station. The mini dock fits the t22 and has 2 usb but also and I am not sure if this will help you or not but it has a power switch on the dock for the laptop. This would enable you to wire the switch you wanted to turn the carputer on/off without destroying the laptop. And the docking station would make it easy to take the laptop out of the car and put it back in.
            My Install

Software:
            CFiG v1
            iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
            Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
            StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Working...
            X