Fast boot times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast boot times

I realize it's probably not do-able by a lay man like me, but..

what is the technology behind stock "carputers." (I'm thinking of my friend's mercedes) The appeal for me was that there was virtually no boot time, but it was capable of handeling GPS and CDs and whatnot. I realize there's a little more to our carputers, but could this technology be applied by us ?
    I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

www.neoterikos.com

i dont think its doable
    those systems are made to just run one dedicated program (gps)
    but with our set ups we are baisically running a big program to control all the little ones
    but hey
    -if theres a will theres a way

Comment

What HybridFox said. Doable, that I think is doable down to about 5-10 seconds, but would take a major overhaul from the ground up, therefore unpractical.

Gotta remember, we're running windows and bios to support who knows what. To get such times, we would need to create an effort to hardcode bios chips to what we want and to boot directly to os without the middle man work with an os that is well, custom made as well since windows is just tooo slow for that purpose. And you can just imagine what problems would be encountered in the process
      Mark

Car'Puter Project
      - Xenarc 700TSV
      - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
      - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
      - M2-ATX
      - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
      - Garmin 15H GPS
      - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

A real OS. Windows was intended to be a personal pc os not an embedded systems OS (yes there are embedded versions of windows). An os designed to run these kinds of systems can "boot" fast or not even boot at all (execute from rom). Windows CE for example is the closest microsoft has. Problem you will run into it you can't just walk to the store and buy a gps/mp3/whatever program for those.

Comment

right now our boot time is like 20-25sec right?
          mine is 24sec...so its not too bad i guess.....if u have to do all the stuff to make
          it boot in 5sec...not worth it IMO

Comment

mine boots in like 7-9. on standby,
            CarPuter ProgressO meterO
            [+++++++++] 100%, 1Ghz Epia M,opus 90w, Earthmate GPS, 7 inch lilliput molded into dash, anything i forget?
            visit me on the web at
            http://gozips.uakron.edu/~cmk23/

Comment

Mine boots from hibernation in 3. Ha.
              Tidder

Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
                Mine boots from hibernation in 3. Ha.
                how do you manage 3 seconds?
                My Carputer Project

Comment

3 seconds sounds right for suspend, hibernation takes a while to read the ram contents from the file on the hdd.

Comment

Well, you gotta remember guys, I have a 40gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer desktop HDD. And I have a P4 2.0ghz. Of course it's gonna be fast. And IT IS from hibernation.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

3 seconds from standby. Maybe 10-15 from hibernation.
                      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

I'm sorry man, you're wrong. I come out of hibernation in 3. I have a jetway mobo, which is great, cause it has a fast POST. I don't have it set up to detect any IDE devices. It goes freakin' quick.

Don't be jealous...

Anyway, it's not 3 seconds anymore. When I posted my 3 second time, that was when I was still booting from my 40gig. Now I'm booting from an 800mb Solid State laptop drive, and it's about 15-20seconds. But yes, I had a 3 second from hibernate. Just back up off me.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Windows XP Embedded or Windows CE5.0 (for automotive) are all software suites with IDE's designed to create operating systems for hardware and software specific devices in a reletively short amount of time.

As far as boot times on existing vehicle telematics, they are using very primative operating systems as far as whats to come. As time goes by your probably going to see OEM telematics increase thier boot times as the aplpications become less "specific" but it when I say short I mean 5 seconds.
                          Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                          Via EPIA MII
                          512MB RAM
                          OEM GPS (embedded)
                          nLite WinXP pro on
                          1GB Extreme III CF card
                          Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                          Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                            Windows XP Embedded or Windows CE5.0 (for automotive) are all software suites with IDE's designed to create operating systems for hardware and software specific devices in a reletively short amount of time.

As far as boot times on existing vehicle telematics, they are using very primative operating systems as far as whats to come. As time goes by your probably going to see OEM telematics increase thier boot times as the aplpications become less "specific" but it when I say short I mean 5 seconds.
                            I'd be interested to know, these OS's that these vehicle systems are using, are they all proprietary, or are they based on something that's already out there?

Reason I ask is (I know this really isn't even comparitive) I have an actiontec DSL modem based on unix that's able to be hacked and flashed with linux.
                            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
                              I'm sorry man, you're wrong. I come out of hibernation in 3. I have a jetway mobo, which is great, cause it has a fast POST. I don't have it set up to detect any IDE devices. It goes freakin' quick.

Don't be jealous...

Anyway, it's not 3 seconds anymore. When I posted my 3 second time, that was when I was still booting from my 40gig. Now I'm booting from an 800mb Solid State laptop drive, and it's about 15-20seconds. But yes, I had a 3 second from hibernate. Just back up off me.
                              There are a lot of people that confuse or interchange suspend and hibernate so we had no way of knowing for sure. How much ram did you have? It took my 500Mhz mini-itx over a minute to come back from hibernate with just 128M

Comment

Working...
                              X