General (Real) Hardware Concerns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General (Real) Hardware Concerns

Looking around on this entire forum, i find few cases of people addressing real problematic issues. For example, has anyone seen an LCD left in the sun too long? And what about theft? Also, what about using a desktop DVD player in the car? Wouldn't that skip horribly? What about making an install look stock? Is there an option aside from fiberglass?

Let me know how some of you have tried to solve these problems.
    System in the works:
    Celeron 850 or PIII 933, SB Live! Value into a stock 4 channel amp, ATI vid, 10.4" sharp LCD w/ allen's controller, Elo SW touchscreen overlay and controller, GPS, TV tuner, FW DVD drive, 4 port serial card, and some other stuff....

Loads of ideas.

You obviously haven't looked around long enough. Each and every one of these topics has been beaten to death many times in the past.

but just to humor you, let me summarize:

> For example, has anyone seen an LCD left in the sun too long?
    Sometimes they get discolored, when they cool down again they are usually fine...no damage done. Seems to be a non-issue.

> And what about theft?
    It's human nature. Stuff gets stolen. Protect it the way you'd protect anything else. Conceal it, insure it or alarm it.

> Also, what about using a desktop DVD player in the car?
    >Wouldn't that skip horribly?
    You'd think so, but it doesn't.

> What about making an install look stock?
    > Is there an option aside from fiberglass?
    Not unless you have a plastics fabrication plant in your back yard. A little bondo and some textured paint helps too Just use your imagination. You could try getting spare console pieces from a junk yard or parts dealer and chopping away at them.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Meatballman ]

Comment

I see. I thank you for your understanding, and your info. I have been looking around on this forum, and I am overwhelmed with the information available. Mostly i have a hard time finding the specific topics i desire to learn about, and the search seems to turn up MORE info.

Again, thanks.
      Sorry for the lame post.
      System in the works:
      Celeron 850 or PIII 933, SB Live! Value into a stock 4 channel amp, ATI vid, 10.4" sharp LCD w/ allen's controller, Elo SW touchscreen overlay and controller, GPS, TV tuner, FW DVD drive, 4 port serial card, and some other stuff....

Loads of ideas.

Comment

And if you think about the lcds that most people use, it makes sense, a lot are autolcd's (composite video) to begin with.
        -Nick

Comment

<soapbox>
          Sorry to come across as a little rude there. Don't be discouraged from asking questions...just be careful about claiming things like "i find few cases of people addressing real problematic issues." Some of us have been here a very long time and it's a bit insulting to say things like that. Something like, "I searched, but didn't find any info on such-and-such topic. Can anyone point me toward more info?" would be much better.
          </soapbox>

Good luck with your project dude.

Comment

Working...
          X