Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA vs. Pentium 4

VIA vs. Pentium 4

Id like opinions on what the pros and cons are of each.

I have OPUS 150W

also Id like to have the pc up front not in the trunk

thanks everyone

VIA:

Smaller than mATX, cheaper than P4 ITX (processor is included with VIA)
    Uses less power
    Produces less heat
    Small heatsink, quieter fan

P4

FASTER
    More expensive, or larger mobo.
    Uses more power (processor and mobo)
    More heat
    noisier fans required

People choose the VIA usually because it is smaller and cheaper. Depends if the VIA will do what you want it to. I switched from VIA to mATX/Athlon because I felt it needed more oomph.
    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

If you already have an Opus 150 and you're NOT going to be playing Doom3 in your car, get a VIA. They're not as powerful, but they also don't draw 100W at idle like the Pentium 3.4 EE.
      For mp3/DivX/DVD/GPS, a VIA processor will be just fine. Just don't try to run photoshop or a video conversion program on it.
      Old plans out the window because of an accident .
      Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
      Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

Yeah... P3 1GHz will do you fine. You don't need P4...

...although...

It sure was fun hooking up my P4/GeForce6800OC GT tower in the van and playing Doom3 over the sound system. Okay antimatter... NOW I want 5.1 surround.

Made me think of someday making a straigt-up mega-gaming van, with just a fat easy chair in the back, 5.1, nice 30-something" screen, big sound.

Or a UPS-style boxtruck LAN-VAN. Hm... I should start looking for hardware sponsors.
        95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
        ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

P4's mobo does have small size too.

Originally posted by pip
          VIA:

Smaller than mATX, cheaper than P4 ITX (processor is included with VIA)
          Uses less power
          Produces less heat
          Small heatsink, quieter fan

P4

FASTER
          More expensive, or larger mobo.
          Uses more power (processor and mobo)
          More heat
          noisier fans required

People choose the VIA usually because it is smaller and cheaper. Depends if the VIA will do what you want it to. I switched from VIA to mATX/Athlon because I felt it needed more oomph.
          ------------------------------

98 Honda civic
          In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
          cappuccino EZ3
          PIII-1.2GHZ
          256MB PC133
          40GB HD
          Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
          IguidanceV2
          CNX-P1900 power supply
          Sound Blaster Live USB

Comment

p4...why? cause it's cool and you can

It can fit up front...with a little help
            see pics:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34829

Comment

Originally posted by faichiu
              P4's mobo does have small size too.
              Thats what I said. ITX P4 mobo & P4 is the same size but is an expensive combination...MATX mobos & Athlon processors work out to a similar cost but are larger.
              EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
              Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
              XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

nrls2000 how much you pay for your mobo and processor combo?

so VIA is ok say if I want (in the future) to have dual monitor and run navigation while using the other screen for mp3 .. or etc

Comment

Originally posted by VanMan69
                  Yeah... P3 1GHz will do you fine. You don't need P4...

...although...

It sure was fun hooking up my P4/GeForce6800OC GT tower in the van and playing Doom3 over the sound system. Okay antimatter... NOW I want 5.1 surround.

Made me think of someday making a straigt-up mega-gaming van, with just a fat easy chair in the back, 5.1, nice 30-something" screen, big sound.

Or a UPS-style boxtruck LAN-VAN. Hm... I should start looking for hardware sponsors.
                  I knew you would come to your senses

Know if I could now just figure out where to mount a 15" LCD
                  -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I've got a P4 crammed in my dash...

I only have 2 fans with it too, and it's fine, no noise or anything as mentioned earlier. One on the chipset, the other, duh...

Click on my link in the sig...
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

You can go for the older slower P4s. I 'inherited' my GFs old PC which has a P4 1.5GHz and a MATX mobo, the system runs virtually silent due to not much heat produced by the CPU, the HSF is the only fan in the case. Maybe even get by if I slapped on a passive heatsink on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Proplus
                        You can go for the older slower P4s. I 'inherited' my GFs old PC which has a P4 1.5GHz and a MATX mobo, the system runs virtually silent due to not much heat produced by the CPU, the HSF is the only fan in the case. Maybe even get by if I slapped on a passive heatsink on it.
                        Yup, a pentium classic 200mhz with MMX and an old soundblaster will play music. that was my first system. I am now ruinning a celeron 300a and an integrated slot 1 MB. Win2k as an OS. plays music with a CPU load of 6 to 12% on 100%VBR MP3s.
                        TruckinMP3
                        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by jdub421
                          nrls2000 how much you pay for your mobo and processor combo?
                          Unfair cost comparison. I got mine through an acommodation program before they were released(2 or three years ago). $175 for mobo + processor + windows xp pro. I believe upon release the board retailed for $150 ish and the processor $200 ish.

However 1 year ago I purchased a dfi board and 2 ghz celeron processor for $100.

Comment

I'll go for a Via but ...

Hi eveeryone !

I'm searching parts and components to do a carputer and i think the Via motherboards are the most efficient but i want to know if Via's m.b.'s are compatible with linux or windows 98/me/xp/2000, because they've their own integrated processors and i dont know if they're compatible with o.s. and other programs like mp3 players, divx players, gps software ...

Finally, what model of Via will you go for ? The Via M-series, Via V-series or the new Via M2 ???

Thank !!

Comment

Originally posted by enaut
                              I'm searching parts and components to do a carputer and i think the Via motherboards are the most efficient but i want to know if Via's m.b.'s are compatible with linux or windows 98/me/xp/2000, because they've their own integrated processors and i dont know if they're compatible with o.s. and other programs like mp3 players, divx players, gps software ...
                              You're not reading hard enough.
                              Most people here are running WindowsXP. Some are running Win2000. There are somet hat are running Win98 (I couldn't tell you why!).
                              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                              X