I got a tough one. Electrical Guys Look

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a tough one. Electrical Guys Look

Hey guys, I gotta tough one here. My computer has started crashing latly. I haven't noticed a pattern besides it happened when i put a ground wire from a screw on the via motherboard to a screw on the Opus Power supply.

Now what happens is that when i start the car/computer it will turn on for a couple minutes. Then all of the sudden my screen goes blank with all sorts of garbled colors (mainly purple) and lines (looks like when the monitor is out of synch)

The fan is still running on the motherboard but the music stops playing.

Sometimes it would just reboot after a couple minutes. Either way as soon as i disconnected that one wire i havent had any problems. So i am curious about the relation of this ground wire to the motherboard and psu. Currently my motherboard is not grounded to the PSU (which is not causing any advers side effects) But i would like an experts opinion

Thanks
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

You could have caused a floating ground between the PSU and motherboard and the board doesn't like it. Just a guess.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

How do i fix this, what is a floating ground, care to elaborate?

Comment

Could the ground wire on the MB be touching something else on the MB, possibly causing a short?

Comment

No, it is heatshrinked and sheathed.

I think meddler is on the right track here... i just have no idea what it is or how to fix it

Comment

Why do you need this ground wire? The MB is already grounded though the PSU via the ATX power connector. Since it was working fine before you added it... I don't see the purpose

Comment

Maybe fried something ?
              Looks like bad memory on VGA-card to me ?

Edit :
              Sorry, didn't read the last paragraph very well. Forget about my questions.
              Looks like Meddler is right as you mentioned already. It is hard to track down such things, but beware of floating grounds as they may screw up your components.
              Car : Hyundai Tucson
              Carpc :
              Lilliput 7" touchscreen indash 90% done
              PSU : M2-ATX
              Epia M10K /512DDR/80GB Maxtor
              Software : Windows XP Pro 100% done
              RR with DigitalFX skin
              In car : 80% done

Comment

I thought that it could have been a bad card or ram until I read Antimatter's last statement as well.
                A floting ground is where the potential of a certain point (read voltage) is suppose to be earth (or 0V) but for some reason it is not quite 0V, ie it floats. It's having a small differetial between one point that is supposed to be grounded and ground. It can cause all types of problems. It ususally shows up as noise coming through your speakers and hence people talk about single point grounding.
                I'd say that this floating ground is for some reason upsetting the motherboard as the differential changes up and down.
                Think of it like this. The motherboard is grounded through the ATX power connector and you are trying to ground the case of the PSU to the motherboard as well. The may be a differential between the case of the PSU and the power supply inside the case. Think of them trying to fight each other and the mother board is not happy and shutting down.
                As long as you are not gettting any other side effects, then leave it disconnected.
                Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

might be floating because a car does not have an earth ground like a normal PC case is grounded to.
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

Sorry, but to me 'floating ground' implies that a connection that is supposed to be grounded is not grounded. This can cause all sorts of dangerous conditions, but that is not what is happening here. It seems that the OUTPUT of the Opus is what the mobo 'ground' or preferably called 'LVCOM' (low voltage common) is connected to, which is different than 'ground' which is the car chassis, and that is not really 'ground' either, the only real 'ground' is the good old earth!! But as for the wire, if it is functioning properly without it, don't install it
                    Carputer currently 'ghettoed' into car!!!

EPIA MII-12000
                    Ampie Case with rigged extra USB
                    Hitachi 60GB
                    Holux GPS mouse with iGuidance 2.0
                    Lilliput 7" touchscreen
                    Netgear WG121 USB WiFi
                    Carnetix P1260

Comment

Originally posted by choyak
                      But as for the wire, if it is functioning properly without it, don't install it
                      Well ofcourse.

I am just trying to set everything up correctly and since my computer is not in a good metal case (mounted in glovebox) i wanted to make sure that there was sufficiant ground between the motherboard and the PSU since i do have somewhat of a noise problem that i am trying to beat http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35107 . Obviously i will take startup noise over a non working shutting off computer.

Comment

cool, I was right
                        [H]4 Life
                        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

yes you were!

Comment

nobody has any idea what we are talking about
                            [H]4 Life
                            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                            I'm a lesbian too.
                            I am for hire!

Comment

肚子笑痛了
                              S60 Install

Comment

Working...
                              X