No announcement yet.

do i really need more than 1 PCI slot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i really need more than 1 PCI slot?

if i've got 4 USB 2.0 ports?

I just want to make sure i'm not going to need more than 1 PCI slot, to do the majority of the things a carputer should be able to do, before i buy.

I have another USB card in one slot for DVD(USB DVD got choppy with too much crap on the onboard USB controller sometimes), SB Audigy in another, and my wireless card in the third.
    Fabricator

Comment

dayam... you had 3 PCI slots?!

I guess thats the drawback with going with the mini ITX boards...

You think DVD playback on a USB 2.0 port is choppy? Hmm... that's not good... i was hoping to use an extended USB cable to mount the DVD-CD drive elsewhere.

Comment

i think you would need at least 2....1 for soundcard, 1 for something else you may need...like firewire or wireless

Comment

Originally posted by ummagawd
          dayam... you had 3 PCI slots?!

I guess thats the drawback with going with the mini ITX boards...

You think DVD playback on a USB 2.0 port is choppy? Hmm... that's not good... i was hoping to use an extended USB cable to mount the DVD-CD drive elsewhere.
          DVD playback was fine on one USB controller by itself, but with all the other USB crab going it got choppy sometimes. I believe the 4 or however many ports are on your MB still share the same controller, and adding a PCI USB card doubled the available USB bandwidth?

I know I had this same problem with my old setup using the external USB Audigy - it totally hogged the USB bandwidth and everything was almost useless including the USB audio. That was the last straw for the laptop carputer.
          Fabricator

Comment

I only use 1 pci for my wireless card, everything else is USB
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

I have 3 PCI and 4 USBs and I only use 1 PCI for my wireless.
              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I don't even use my pci slot. I have not tested DVD yet, I must admit, but my external audigy2 NX is working fine with divx movies and mp3.
                I also have the touchscreen, a keyboard (temporary) and a GPS receiver connected to the onboard usb2.0-controller. I hope to be able to connect a DVD-rom and play dvds without hicups...
                List of front-ends/usefull apps
                XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

yea my mobo actually comes with a PCMA (laptop card) for wireless (the new MII12 board)... and the only thing i plan to use for the USB is the GSP, TS, DVD and possible keyboard.

I'm going to stick with the on-board audio.

Comment

You could always see if your case can fit a dual PCI riser card....

Comment

I'm going to run a USB 802.11g access point (Not the really small pendrive ones) from the back of my Mini-ITX case (mounted where my head unit was) up through my dash, mounted at the top, and the same for my GPS reciever.
                      Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

I am using a MB with integrated vid and sound, it meets my needs, I am not using and PCI devices.

Plan out what you want the PC to do, that should answer your question for you.
                        TruckinMP3
                        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

well... that's the thing... i'm just trying to plan ahead... maybe there's something i want my PC to do that i haven't thought about yet that will require more than 1 PCI.

On-board video and audio, DVD through USB, GPS through USB, TS through USB, an that leaves me with a firewire, and 1 more USB (which i plan to use a USB hub on for data transfer). The MII board actually comes with a laptop style card slot... in which i'll be using for a wireless card. Sound will connect through aux input of a HU i have yet to purchase, and thats pretty much it.

Comment

Working...
                          X