booting motherboard without video card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booting motherboard without video card

im building a mp3 player but the problem i have is that the motherboard i have need a video card in it for it to boot up.

i also set the bios to boot without the vga card but its the same problem.

is there a dummy circuit i can built for it to boot.

ive change the mother board and set "Halt On All Errors" set to "OFF" but same problem.
    what ive realised is that the num lock light responds when i press it. even scroll lock.

is it the os system (dos) or audio driver.

I know you said in your post "i also set the bios to boot without the vga card", but that seems a little ambiguous.
    Do you have (in the BIOS) "Halt On All Errors" set to "OFF" ?
    ~m
    PS - Some Bios's may not have that feature. ?
    PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
    Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
    BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

why not buy a cheap card from a show or used or something....
      Gizmo-
      Techonlogy on Wheels
      http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

I'm guessing he wants to keep the main system board as low profile as possible (ie: use on-board sound, etc.). Am I right, Harry?
        ~m
        PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
        Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
        BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

If the BIOS allows it, set the video to "None" and set Halt On Errors to "No". If the BIOS does not have those options, there may be a BIOS upgrade available.

Another choice is to use a 90 degree riser card to place the video card parallel to the motherboard. Also, all-in-one integrated motherboards can be picked up rather cheapely, which are essentially self contained computers (minus the HD).
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I am able to boot my system by setting Halt on No Errors. I still need a video card in order for my lcd to work properly. I use MPXPLAY and MPXF. When I boot without the video card MPXFTSR logo appears on the LCD, but I cannot get anything else to display after that. Everything else functions properly. I am trying to keep my system within 2" thick so that I can put it under my seat.

Honda Civic
            Pentium 133 16 MB
            10 GB HDD (Just say no to Maxtor EZ-Bios)
            DC-DC Supply
            MPXF & MPXPLAY
            Soon to be eliminated FM Modulator

Comment

Originally posted by dlalonde:
              <STRONG>
              Honda Civic
              Pentium 133 16 MB
              10 GB HDD (Just say no to Maxtor EZ-Bios)
              DC-DC Supply
              MPXF & MPXPLAY
              Soon to be eliminated FM Modulator</STRONG>
              arrrg i hate maxtor and western digital ez-bios!!!

Comment

This is how its done. When you start your computer into windows without a video card an error comes up saying you don't have one. So you have to get rid of this error and check never show this message again. the only way I know would be use PC anywhere and just dial into it.

Comment

i have noticed that too. i boot my puter without a vid card and half-way into windows booting it stops. i can't connect to it via dataset remote control wich i start before the shell loads up (via registry hack) so i can't see the error msg.

i would be very happy if i could remove my
                  vid card from my system. anyone have more
                  info on the subject ?
                  Car: 1995 Saab 900S 2.0 ,Sapphire GPS ,Mini-Mag WiFi antenna
                  HU: Pioneer DEH-P7100R AMP: XM-4060GTX Sub: XS-L121P5
                  Old car that got stolen: 1984 Nissan Cherry (Pulsar), PII-400,64MB Ram,35GB HD,Keypad,CF 634 Display

Comment

well if u know its coming to pup and say that you can just press space to tick it and then enter for ok, instead of all that other stuff you were talkin about

Comment

Working...
                    X