Relay card or IO Interface?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay card or IO Interface?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what hardware I need in order to perform certain functions with my CarPC.

Basically, I NEED to control my amp and signal it to turn on via the remote lead and I've pretty much figured I need a relay card for that so that I can switch the required 12v from another source.

But for controlling windows, locks and such other things, do I need a relay card or will something with digital outputs do? From what I've found in researching this, it depends how the car is wired up? ie: if the window switch is wired to + or -. If it's + then I need a relay, if it's - I can use a digital output?

I think I've got it sorted, I'm just hoping that someone that has done this before can give me some difinitive info before I go and purchase the parts.

Parts I am looking at are:
    http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?mo...9.44.74&IID=57
    as an IO interface.

or:
    http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?mo...9.44.74&IID=12
    as a relay interface.
    1998 Toyota Supra RZ-s TwinTurbo
    BOOST - In-Car Entertainment System

I was just about to post something along these lines... I'm interested in integrating some stuff into my carputer... locks, windows, and the like.

Comment

I wish I had some time to code an app for this. I'm still working on the skin part... that kind of got pushed back with the development of NaviVoice and GammaControl.
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
        I wish I had some time to code an app for this. I'm still working on the skin part... that kind of got pushed back with the development of NaviVoice and GammaControl.
        I'm already writing my own software that will have a plugin to do this sort of stuff. Already have MP3s, vids, a basic GPS plugin and a menu system working (altho not pretty, need to implement skins) and the next one I want to write is some kind of car control/monitor thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz13
          I'm already writing my own software that will have a plugin to do this sort of stuff. Already have MP3s, vids, a basic GPS plugin and a menu system working (altho not pretty, need to implement skins) and the next one I want to write is some kind of car control/monitor thing.
          Cool What language?
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
            Cool What language?

VB

I figured it'd be easier for other developers to write their own plugins if i used VB. Creating ActiveX Dlls to use as plugins is a sinch and the API i'm coming up with makes it a breeze to implement new features.

Comment

VB

I figured it'd be easier for other developers to write their own plugins if i used VB. Creating ActiveX Dlls to use as plugins is a sinch and the API i'm coming up with makes it a breeze to implement new features.
              If you would have written it in Delphi then I could have given you some code for skins.
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Take a look at this card before you go to a phidget.

I am writing a program to control it myself, and by the time the card is released, I should be finished with the program.

You can use a relay if the windows are negative controlled. You just have the switched side running to ground, instead of running it to positive. Either way you can use a digital signal.

The neat thing about having a relay card is that all your digital signals are interpretted by the card, and sent to the correct relay. With the way any of these cards are set up, you can just ignore a relay, and use the switching signal as a 'digital' output. You just have to adjust the voltage level, or perform some slight alteration.
                2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
                  Take a look at this card before you go to a phidget.

I am writing a program to control it myself, and by the time the card is released, I should be finished with the program.

You can use a relay if the windows are negative controlled. You just have the switched side running to ground, instead of running it to positive. Either way you can use a digital signal.

The neat thing about having a relay card is that all your digital signals are interpretted by the card, and sent to the correct relay. With the way any of these cards are set up, you can just ignore a relay, and use the switching signal as a 'digital' output. You just have to adjust the voltage level, or perform some slight alteration.
                  Still not quite clear on this.

If my power windows are negative controlled then can I do WITHOUT a relay card?

It's just that I'm gonna be hooking up quite a number of things to it and getting a relay card with only 4 relays just isn't going to be enough.

Comment

It's just that I'm gonna be hooking up quite a number of things to it and getting a relay card with only 4 relays just isn't going to be enough.
                    No. Doesn't matter if your windows are negative or positive controlled, you will have to use 2 relays for each window.
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Are you thinking of driving the windows directly off the I/O card?

Even if your window is negatively controlled, be very careful cause the card can only sink 2A. I dont know how your window is wired up but if you are gonna sink more than 2A from that card you will blow it.

Ill stick with a relay to be safe, unless the window switch is only controlling a relay coil and not the windows motor directly.

You can still buy the 16 I/O card and connect 16 relays into it.

Comment

Ahh.. ok.. This is making more sense now..

Thanks Ricky. I think you've helped me nail it.

Comment

If you read the spec on their site then you wouldnt have got confused

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                            If you read the spec on their site then you wouldnt have got confused
                            Well, I did and I thought I had it all under control, but then I saw their little tutorial on how to use a motor with a digital output and it got me confused.

Comment

Working...
                            X