grounding motherboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding motherboard

is it nessesary or will there be any issues if the motherboard screws are not in metal like a normal case? sound or other?

i'm planning on building my own plexi case, cause i have some layin around, and it looks cool.

nothin?

Comment

Originally posted by fuctup
      is it nessesary or will there be any issues if the motherboard screws are not in metal like a normal case? sound or other?

i'm planning on building my own plexi case, cause i have some layin around, and it looks cool.
      There is actually no way of telling until you do it. Though even there are it is very easy to ground a mobo.

Comment

Several treads address grounding in detail including plexi cases.... do your reSEARCH.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

i did search. motherboard grounding, motherboard ground, motherboard grounds, searching by title gets nothing, searching normally gets tons of posts about all different things.

Comment

Try these search terms:

"motherboard AND ground AND plexi" gives a thread called "Plexiglass case fabrication".
            "motherboard AND ground AND wood" gives a thread called "wood".
            "mobo AND ground AND plexi" gives a thread called "Mobo: Ground on MDF/Plexiglass?".
            "mobo AND ground AND wood" gives a thread called "grounding".

All these threads seem very relevant to grounding on non conductive cases, and I wasn't bombarded with "tons of posts about all different things". I don't know what you were doing wrong when you searched.

Make use of the boolean operator "AND" when searching. It's a fairly standard thing on vbulletin.
            Old Systems retired due to new car
            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

ya i found the plexi case fab one after posting, thanks

Comment

ground everything. Your mobo, PSU, hard drives, optical drives, I make ground straps out of the shielding inside shielded cable, ground them all together and have one tie to the car body ground
                Chris Krug
                owner, turbine minivan
                http://www.youtube.com/krugtech

Comment

so whats the best way to ground the board? standoffs with a wire connecting them all ? what type/gauge of wire?

Comment

Make sure the hole you pick for the standoff is tied to the ground on the power supply connector. Use some 16 ga wire, thicker is better.
                    Chris Krug
                    owner, turbine minivan

Comment

so i should only ground one standoff?

Comment

i've used motherboards without any grounding at all with no problems. Maybe try running without ground to see if everything goes good then ground it if you have a problem?
                        肚子笑痛了
                        S60 Install

Comment

Grounding everything helps keep noise to a minimum which means a more reliable system.
                          Chris Krug
                          owner, turbine minivan

Comment

Originally posted by turbochris
                            Grounding everything helps keep noise to a minimum which means a more reliable system.

Tis true, but I have also heard of people on here grounding their motherboards and getting more problems.
                            肚子笑痛了
                            S60 Install

Comment

Stupid question, but since there is a Ground on the ATX power connector, wouldn't that "ground" the motherboard? Is it really necessary to run another ground? (And no, I know absolutely nothing about electronics or electricity)
                              2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
                              Opus 90W, Epia M210K, Lilli 7" TS, 30GB, CDR/DVD Slot, PowerMate, Earthmate, 200GB Seagate 3.5", Verizon BroadbandAccess, CentraFuse, Valetine1 .....

Comment

Working...
                              X