Hard Drive not the usual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive not the usual

I have finnaly built and tested my computer in house, brought it to my car, and i am having problems with booting.
    I have done my research, however I am going to ask THE question anyways. Mounting Vert or Horz?
    What I have found(basic summary)
    People have had it work for both.
    Horizontal leaves the potiential for disc damage.
    Vert. reduces potiential for disc damage, however increases chance of skipping.
    Shock mounting is bad.

My main question is, what happens when the hard drive skips? Is it like a CD player and it just starts up again, or does windows freeze. I seem to be having more problems of booting windows with the hard drive vert. I get a boot error saying it can not find operating system. Also windows freezes more when it is vertical. However both things also happen when drive is horizontal.
    Is there a way of checking for hard drive damage? Just run scanDisc?
    I have never had this problem happen in my house.
    Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Originally posted by saintx
    I have finnaly built and tested my computer in house, brought it to my car, and i am having problems with booting.
    I have done my research, however I am going to ask THE question anyways. Mounting Vert or Horz?
    What I have found(basic summary)
    People have had it work for both.
    Horizontal leaves the potiential for disc damage.
    Vert. reduces potiential for disc damage, however increases chance of skipping.
    Shock mounting is bad.

My main question is, what happens when the hard drive skips? Is it like a CD player and it just starts up again, or does windows freeze. I seem to be having more problems of booting windows with the hard drive vert. I get a boot error saying it can not find operating system. Also windows freezes more when it is vertical. However both things also happen when drive is horizontal.
    Is there a way of checking for hard drive damage? Just run scanDisc?
    I have never had this problem happen in my house.
    Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Have you retried it in the house with the original setup you were using ?

Comment

Try starting your car.
      Did ya change any hardware?

Edit: like did ya put the hard drive in a diffrent ide socket.
      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
      Buy Sell or Trade
      If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
      Thank you
      Forex
      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

yes i have tried it with the hard drive vert and horz.

Comment

no i have not changed hardware, i hope my hard drive isnt bad. it all works in the house. i have only tried it with the car started, would that make a difference? i have a switch so i can turn it on, or just have it start with the car, i have problems with both.

Comment

Well yeah if i hook my Lilliput to my psu for my computer i have to have my car running. I took my lilliput off and i dont have to now. I also had the same problem with it not being able to find the os because i moved the hard drive to a different ide socket because when i installed it in the house i forgot the possition it needed to be in. So i finally just got ****ed and reinstalled it all again, in the right possitions.
            I GIVE FREE HUGS!
            Buy Sell or Trade
            Thank you
            Forex
            Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Once again, have you tried putting it back into the house ????

Comment

yeah i have put it back in the house and it works. the ide cables have not been moved.

a little background....my computer is in a home made wooden case that can be moved from the car to anywhere easily. I have made it so you can plug it into the wall or the car. i use itps with 70w mini power supply (i forgot the name of it, its not opus its the other one) Epia via 1000, i have 2 fans for cooling, one hard drive Maxtor 120GB, also have a fan controller with temp gauges. I have a dvd-rom but do NOT have it hooked up. (no power, no ide cable)

Comment

yeah i have put it back in the house and it works. the ide cables have not been moved.

a little background....my computer is in a home made wooden case that can be moved from the car to anywhere easily. I have made it so you can plug it into the wall or the car. i use itps with 70w mini power supply (i forgot the name of it, its not opus its the other one) Epia via 1000, i have 2 fans for cooling, one hard drive Maxtor 120GB, also have a fan controller with temp gauges. I have a dvd-rom but do NOT have it hooked up. (no power, no ide cable)
                  So you move it back into the house and it works, then I would suggest that you don't have a HD problem, but rather some kind of power problem. You can mount a HD anyway you want and it will work, some people believe that by mounting it vertically you will eliminate the potential problem of the reading head bouncing off the disc when you hit bumps, beacuse it is not moving up and down. Although this is really just a theory.

If I haven't misundestood what you mean, try taking the ITPS out of the equation and seeing if that works.

Are you hardwired into the battery ??? Is your ground good ??

If your ground is weak then you may only be able to get 8 or 9 volts through....

Comment

How do i take the itps out of the equation? i need it to make a steady 12v right? or does the PW-70 cableless mini-atx dc to dc power supply make a steady 12V. i hope my itps isnt bad, i guess i will have to find out. maybe a loose connection? i think my ground is good(hard wired to car), i will check my connections to the computer (a power connector plug into computer) I dont have these things hard wired, i am using connectors i got from an electronics store, connectors much like the power plug that goes into a laptop. (dont know the technical term )

i get a good ~12V at the connectors

Comment

Your problem has NOTHING to do with your hard drive and everything to do with your power. Also, mounting it vertically does not increase the chance of it skipping.
                      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I just put my lilliput back on the psu and i dont get the missing os problems, it just keeps rebooting, unless i start my truck. I also use the pw-70A though its the 70A not 70, 120watt max 100watt cont. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6705995818 look there. If you have the 70 not 70a says you cant have 3.5" harddrive. I think
                        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                        Buy Sell or Trade
                        Thank you
                        Forex
                        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

How do i take the itps out of the equation? i need it to make a steady 12v right? or does the PW-70 cableless mini-atx dc to dc power supply make a steady 12V. i hope my itps isnt bad, i guess i will have to find out. maybe a loose connection? i think my ground is good(hard wired to car), i will check my connections to the computer (a power connector plug into computer) I dont have these things hard wired, i am using connectors i got from an electronics store, connectors much like the power plug that goes into a laptop. (dont know the technical term )

i get a good ~12V at the connectors
                          Use a multimeter to check that the ITPS is putting out enough volts. I don't know anything about clean power supplies etc. as I have an Opus.

Are you using a cigarrette lighter, or have you tapped into the car's power supply ? You might be using a guage of wire that won't carry the amperes required. I'm not an expert on the power problem, but if you search in the forums I'm sure someone else will have had a similar issue.

If all else fails order a 150w Opus.

Comment

thanks for all the advise. my wires are connected directly to the car battery, i am using wires that are big enough. i will use a multimeter and see what i get. I hope i dont have to move to an opus. I do have a pw-70a, unless www.mini-box.com sent me the wrong thing. is there any way of looking on it and telling?

Comment

Im not sure but i looked at mine a while ago when before i put it in and i think it said 120 on it.
                              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                              Buy Sell or Trade
                              Thank you
                              Forex
                              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X