Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else having issues with static electricity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having issues with static electricity?

I was in my car tucking wires and making my install look more stealth last night. When i was finished i tested all of my equipment and it worked. No extra problems noises or anything. Then i went to go outta my car, touched the door and gotta pretty harsh shock. even after touching it 2-4 more times there was a shock strong enough to literally see. My setup is pretty typical. The grounding point for the tv, case, amp are clean and flush underneath the seat. Could the problem be that the ground is someone touched by the carpet?
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

What were you wearing?
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

and where do you live?
      肚子笑痛了
      S60 Install

Comment

static electricity is the norm for low moisture and cool temperature climates... you wiring in your can cannot provide a shock to you unless #1 it is inverted/boosted/raised, 12v ain't enough to do crap... #2 you would then have to provide a loop that runs from a high voltage + side to the battery ground... you car is not in "contact" with the ground, so there is no flow of current through that path...

want less static electricity... #1 don't go outside when the humidity is low... #2 move to a more humid climate... or the other #3 move less, sit perfectly still all the time...
        EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

was wearin a hoodie and jeans. i was moving around alot but it happens even when i'm just opening the door and havent been inside. I live in VA. It was 60 degrees and clear last night

Comment

Have that up here in PA everytime it gets cool, it sucks! Sometimes I get zapped pretty good. Isn't there a way to put a ground strap from the vehicle frame to the ground...or something? Does that reduce "zapping"
            AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
            "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

I used to get this - i'm pretty sure it's mostly when it's dry. I always close my door by pushing against the window glass now.....
              In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")
              Bunny's first poo
              __ U

Comment

Yes, you can add some sort of rubber strip (I guess it contains a metal strip too) to your car that touches the ground.

OR you can take your carkey by a metal part and touch your car first with the tip of the key before touching it with your hands. When getting out, see that you grab some metal part of your door (can be painted) BEFORE you touch the ground and keep holding it until AFTER you touch the ground with one foot at least...

Some easy tricks to avoid pavlov effect
                List of front-ends/usefull apps
                XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60
                  What were you wearing?
                  It's not THAT sort of forum here!!
                  In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")
                  Bunny's first poo
                  __ U

Comment

I bet this will help.

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/zerostat.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                      Then i went to go outta my car, touched the door and gotta pretty harsh shock. even after touching it 2-4 more times there was a shock strong enough to literally see.
                      LOL. ZZZAP OUCH! ZZZAP OUCH! ZZZAP OUCH! ZZZAP OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                        even after touching it 2-4 more times there was a shock strong enough to literally see.
                        This is what I find funny. "Ouch, that hurts,....let me see if I can do it again ! "
                        [H]4 Life
                        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

it hurts but it feels so good
                          mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
                          Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

I've found the thing that influences whether or not I get zapped the most is my shoes. Some shoes will light up your finger like the northern lights, others won't do a thing. Experiment and see what you find.
                            System status: in progress

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                              This is what I find funny. "Ouch, that hurts,....let me see if I can do it again ! "

It was more along the lines of "ouch! weird. Lemme close the passenger side door. Ouch! did i just SEE the spark. Ouch! yup"

This isnt gonna someone hurt my pc will it. I mean i dont think so but I spose i'll ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X