Setting up a swtich to turn off inverter when computer turns off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a swtich to turn off inverter when computer turns off

Hey guys......just thought about this...

I am running an ATX mo-board through an inverter. The inverter is hooked up directly to my battery.

When I am getting ready to get out of the car, instead of waiting for the computer to complete hibernation, than manually switch off the inverter (since I don't want the inverter running when I leave the car) I wanted to know if I could hibernate the computer and have the inverter switch off automatically.

I was thinking of some sort of time-delay switch for the inverter. Is there some sort of small time-delay switch i could replace the inverter switch with? So, when I hibernate my computer, and than I switch the inverter off, after 10 seconds or so, the inverter would shut off?

I'm not an engineer nor am I an electrician, but I can learn these things quickly. If you're providing an opinion, please explain it - thanks!

-HD

will the computer still run?
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

You want an ITPS

I was using an ITPS with my inverter. When turning off the ignition switch, the ITPS would tell my computer to shutdown/hibernate. After doing so I would have it cut the power to my relay that was inline of my inverter.

Worked pretty good. I've since moved onto the Opus 150 mostly to save space but an ITPS is what you are looking for.

Troy
      Done!

If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Troy McClure
        You want an ITPS

I was using an ITPS with my inverter. When turning off the ignition switch, the ITPS would tell my computer to shutdown/hibernate. After doing so I would have it cut the power to my relay that was inline of my inverter.

Worked pretty good. I've since moved onto the Opus 150 mostly to save space but an ITPS is what you are looking for.

Troy
        Thanks for the quick response! One of the problems with an ITPS is that I want to run the computer sometimes when the car is off or after I shut the car off. From the way you're explaining it, an ITPS wouldn't allow me to do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-HD

Comment

Originally posted by hd54321
          Thanks for the quick response! One of the problems with an ITPS is that I want to run the computer sometimes when the car is off or after I shut the car off. From the way you're explaining it, an ITPS wouldn't allow me to do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-HD
          Look at this post....
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36126

Dunno if that's what you're looking for, but I can help you with this if it is.
          A brief explanation of how it works is:
          turn key on, triggers relay, starts inverter, boots pc, psu relay trigger starts
          turn key off, head unit relay trigger stops, psu relay still goes(inverter, pc still on)
          after 2 minutes XP Fake UPS starts hibernation, pc goes into hibernation, pc shuts down, psu relay trigger stops, relay switches off, inverter switches off.

Everything's auto.
          Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Also you could set that 2 minutes to whatever amount of time you'd like so if you ever wanted to use the pc with the car off you could.
            Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Originally posted by falconey
              Look at this post....
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36126

Dunno if that's what you're looking for, but I can help you with this if it is.
              A brief explanation of how it works is:
              turn key on, triggers relay, starts inverter, boots pc, psu relay trigger starts
              turn key off, head unit relay trigger stops, psu relay still goes(inverter, pc still on)
              after 2 minutes XP Fake UPS starts hibernation, pc goes into hibernation, pc shuts down, psu relay trigger stops, relay switches off, inverter switches off.

Everything's auto.
              Woh - it's an inventive solution! I will look into it, but was hoping there would be a solution a bit simpler....

Thanks!

-HD

Comment

It really is pretty simple and I'd be glad to help you(I help in laymans terms too :0) ). If you want the help just pm me.
                Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Woh - it's an inventive solution! I will look into it, but was hoping there would be a solution a bit simpler....

Thanks!

-HD
                  In my last build I kept the headunit for audio processing/amp so I used the Antenna remote line to switch a relay in much the same way.

I would shut down the PC, then switch off the headunit, and bingo, inverter isolated.

I'm going with an Opus and epia and direct to a car amp this time, so won't need to do that.
                  4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

just curious as to why you dont want to leave your inverter on while the car is off?
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                      just curious as to why you dont want to leave your inverter on while the car is off?
                      The inveter would draw power if it's on while the car is off. Also, the inverter I'm using (Vector 400W) has a fan that always runs when it's on. I'd rather shut it off and have piece of mind that my battery won't be dead the following morning.

falconey, thanks for the solution you provided. What I really need is control of the inverter when the engine is off. I found a shutdown controller over the internet that may do the job. If you do a completed items search on eBay for "car pc pro" or "carputer" you will find it (fyi - the product's retailer has been banned from mp3car because they apparently didn't cooperate with this forum's admin on rules of advertising). Anyways, it looks like a nifty little device. The following is a description of what this shutdown controller does:

Lets start from the beginning. The car, inverter, pc and amplifiers are off. When the car key is turned, the car's accessory line receives 12V. This is detected by the Power Controller. It waits 7 seconds to see if the electrical system either stays on or shuts off. (this delay gives the electrical system a chance to stabalize after starting the engine or a chance to roll up the windows without the PC booting up) After the wait it turns on an inverter (if needed). If it is the Pro unit, it then checks the Hard Drive temperature and Ambient Temperature. If it is not too hot or cold, it turns on the PC, waits a predetermined amount of time, and turns on the amplifiers. It turns on the amplifiers last to reduce turn-on thump induced by the PC turning on.

Once on, it is waiting for one of several things to occur. 1. The key to turn off (accessory line goes to 0V). 2. The user to push an optional button to turn off the PC while the car stays running. 3. The temperatures become too extreme. 4. The computer to turn off (pc accidently unpluged?).

If 1 occurs, then the Power Controller will send the computer a signal to shutdown, turn off the amps, wait for the PC to turn off, then turn off the Inverter.

If 2 occurs, then the Power Controller will send the computer a signal to shutdown, and wait for the PC to turn off, but leave the amps and inverter on.

If 3 occurs, then the Power Controller will send the computer a signal to shutdown, wait for the PC to turn off, wait for the temps to return to an acceptable level, and then turn the PC back on.

If 4 occurs, then the Power Controller will restart the PC. It has no reason to think the PC should be off.

Note: For the Power Controller to control the Inverter, it is necessary to open up the inverter and connect two lines to the power switch of the inverter. This is NOT difficult; however it will void your warranty and we will NOT be responcible for your Inverter if you damage it by making the modification improperly. We will be offering modified Inverters if demand is sufficient. If not, you may send the Inverter to us and we will modify it for you for a small fee plus return shipping.]
                      This is pretty close to the solution I'm looking for except that I really want control of the inverter with the key out of the ignition. But, I guess this is better since I know I won't accidentally leave the inverter on if I leave my car one night.

Thanks guys!

-HD

Comment

The inveter would draw power if it's on while the car is off. Also, the inverter I'm using (Vector 400W) has a fan that always runs when it's on. I'd rather shut it off and have piece of mind that my battery won't be dead the following morning.

falconey, thanks for the solution you provided. What I really need is control of the inverter when the engine is off. I found a shutdown controller over the internet that may do the job. If you do a completed items search on eBay for "car pc pro" or "carputer" you will find it (fyi - the product's retailer has been banned from mp3car because they apparently didn't cooperate with this forum's admin on rules of advertising). Anyways, it looks like a nifty little device. The following is a description of what this shutdown controller does:

This is pretty close to the solution I'm looking for except that I really want control of the inverter with the key out of the ignition. But, I guess this is better since I know I won't accidentally leave the inverter on if I leave my car one night.

Thanks guys!

-HD
                        Well the problem with getting just any kind of shutdown cotroller is you have to take into account how it effect surviving crank.
                        Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

I think I found exactly what I've been looking for - Delay timer. I came across this in the thread about the software shutdown controller.

It is programmable in seconds or minutes and can send either a pulse (for making a light blink or bell ring) or a one-time on-off operation. It's the cheapest ready-made solution I've found.

-HD

Comment

I have a vector 400 as well.. I've left mine on as long as 10 days with a external hard drive powered and it started up just fine. My fan doesnt stay on all the time though. Just when a certain wattage is met.
                            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Inverters with auto shutoff?

Does anybody use an Inverter with an automatic shutoff feature that is triggered by a low voltage sensor?

Comment

Working...
                              X