Moving Xbox DVD drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Xbox DVD drive

I need to move my DVD drive out of my Xbox to put it in the dash, while keeping the rest of the Xbox out of the way. The major concern that I have is the ribbon cable. How can I extend the length of the dvd from the mother board of the box? Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, does it matter the order of which the drives are connected? Currently it is Mother board, dvd, hard drive, so can it be changed to MB, HD, DVD?

Thanks guys in advance

I thought an XBox uses a standard 40-pin IDE ribbon connector? The power plug is different though - it still uses 12volt but the connector is different.

There was another post on this board saying an IDE cable can only be extended 36 inches. So I think you would be screwed if you were extending it further than that.

Search the forums on xbox-scene.org(.com?) and see what others have done. Good luck.

-HD

Comment

It can be relocated, but remember the max length that an IDE cable is supposed to be is 18 inches. Much over that and you could start running into trouble. I did see one guy make like an 8 foot IDE cable, I believe on this site way back when it first was getting on its feet, but Im not sure how that ended up working out.
      Jason
      It gimme the jibblies

Comment

good lord 8 foot IDE cable..hahhah
        throw a moon

heuvos vin chevos

Comment

Yeah, If I remember right, it was in a station wagon and he had a picture of himself and a buddy holding this monster cable.
          Jason
          It gimme the jibblies

Comment

yeah, he used cat 5 for the extention right?
            [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

top answer the question:
              no it doesnt matter which order the drives are in on the ide cable as they are set up master and slave.
              but as for moving it, not only do you have to move the ide cable but there is another cable that connects to the dvd drive that has power, eject and some other stuff on it, that is another 10 wires (they are yellow). but if your going to move the whole thing you should look into swapping in a better dvd drive for more compatibility (http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/samsung-616t.php)

that should answer enough questions for now, it seems to be a daunting task
              Carputer Progress:
              [!!'-------] 25%
              have to fabricate screen mount

have to start over, lilliput died, 1st laptop broke, have to sell the 2nd one. damn

Comment

you can make ide calbe much longer if you use 80 pin insted of the older 40 if you serch on here u will find this has been diskused there are many people with 15 ft ide
                Starting an install in a 02 s4 when I get time, which will probably about the time i am looking to sell the car. Got to love it

Comment

Why would you make a 15ft IDE cable? I don't understand....
                  Just get the USB adapter. It may cost more, but it's so much easier!

Comment

Not much hope for a usb dvdrom on an xbox I'd think. People make these calbes because they do not want to deal with the issues of usb, or don't have usb, or don't want to waste cycles on it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. Construction on my new center counsil (spell check lol) is going underway in the next few weeks, what I plan on doing is to put the xbox in the center with out the cas, and make a new case but move the dvd so it is facing out, while keepin the rest of the components hidden in the center. I plan on using one of the ata cables that are 36 in length and upgrading the dvd and the hard drive and use Linux. It may suffer a little bit in performance due to the length of the ata, but it should be minimal. Thanks again, and any other comments, suggestions would be awesome.

Comment

I use a 6ft IDE cable and it runs perfectly
                        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

what do you use your xbox for? just games/dvds? or did you mod it for linux?

Comment

I have a question that sorta-goes along with this post,...

Will any cd drive work w/ the xbox, the reason i ask is because i want to use a slot style drive rather than the cd tray system. Will this work?

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RangerEDGE
                              I have a question that sorta-goes along with this post,...

Will any cd drive work w/ the xbox, the reason i ask is because i want to use a slot style drive rather than the cd tray system. Will this work?

Thanks!!!
                              No - there are only 3 DVD drives that are compatible with the XBox. The 3 drives are made by Thompson, Phillips & Samsung. The Samsung drive is supposed to be the best for compatibility with different types of DVD media. Thompson is the worst.

Do research on eBay and xbxo-scene.org(.com?) for the different options.

-HD

Comment

Working...
                              X