should i be turning my external hard drive off on freezing nights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i be turning my external hard drive off on freezing nights

as the topic suggests i was just wondering if its better to shut the drive off or leave it on standby during freezing nights? Last nite it was 30 and didnt have any issues leaving it on but im just curious
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

why not just hibernate?
    Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

hibernate what? Its an external self powered usb 2.0 drive. It doesnt go into hibernation when windows hibernates (as far as i know, the drive light stays on). Its plugged into my converter which is always on.

Comment

Ok I gotcha, I guess I was confused by the 'it's in stanby comment' thinking you were placing the pc in stand by. Well I'm sure no one will have a definite answer for you. My advice would be to not take chances. If it's possible to completely shut it down then I'd do it. I'm sure the drive will be ok, but the winter is long and gets colder than it is now, so leaving a drive on in those conditions for months straight would be something I'd try my best to avoid.
        Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

If draining your car battery isn't an issue, then I'd vote for leaving the drive on. That way it'll keep itself warm and dry, and there won't be such a huge temperature swing when you power the system up.

If you know what model of hard drive is in the caddy, check the manufacturer's specs and see what they recommend.

Comment

Doubtful that your hard drive would have any problems in 30 degree weather. Mine has yet to have problems in 20 degree weather nor do I expect it to when it gets colder.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

If you have a choice (meaning your battery isn't going to die) then I think I would vote to leave it on. Its going to stay warm, and the bearings aren't going to have any issues with freezing up.

Some of the new drives have some sort of fluid bearings (I can't remember the name right now) and they apparently have issues with getting cold. But I don't think you'll have any issues iif the hard drive is always on.
              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

I've left the car with the hard drive on for 10 days and had no battery issues. I spose it does make sense to let it heat itself. Luckily it doesnt get TOO cold around here

Comment

I'd leave it on, like others say it'll keep itself warm. If it's going to get REALLY cold, then just put some cloth over it, like a folded shirt or something to keep some heat in.

It's good to know the battery has enough power to run the drive for that long. Does the drive constantly spin? or does it **** down after X minutes of inactivity?

Comment

It spins down after 5 mins or so i believe. Its built into a cartridge type enclosure that sits under the rear seat bench so its very insulated.

Comment

guys,

pardon my lack of knowledge here...if I turn my computer into Hibernate mode, does that mean the HD is not on? I live in the part of states w/ extreme cold weather, and I am now getting concerned w/ the cold temperature on my FLUID BEARING Hard Drive. If hibernation will keeps the drive "warm", that would save me tons of trouble.....

anybody?

Comment

hibernation turns everything off
                        Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Pardon my confusion, but is anyone thinking about wear and tear. I don't know the answer, but is leaving a hard drive on 24/7 better than having it shutdown when not in use for long periods(6-8 hours plus). I'm going to assume, until someone corrects me, that leaving the drive on at all times would increase wear and tear especially when it's cold. I mean it's 30 degrees now, but in a month or so it's going to be approaching freezing on a regular basis.
                          Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Perhaps I'm missing something or perhaps I'm wrong, but

Unless the drive is actively being read, doesn't it spind down on its own? Power or no power it's going to get cold. Make an active heater for it, that wont drain your battery.
                            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

it doesnt completely stop spinning just slows to a lower rpm. It will still create its own heat. Whether its suffiicient i dont know.

Comment

Working...
                              X