First draft design of my carputer *pics*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First draft design of my carputer *pics*

This took me all day, but I am not a self proclaimed novice in MS Visio 2003 Please tell me your comments, criticisms.
    • I didn't draw the antenna for the 802.11G yet. I'm also not sure if I will install it on the Cardbus or PCI slots. Both are free for now. I have heard better things about the cardbus flavor, I just need to find one with an external antenna plug so I could hook up the 6" mag antenna.
    • The AM/FM will be a radioSHARK. TV will be settled at a later time, its not a priority. I'll probably wait until that dude finishes the TV/AM/FM project.
    • I also didn't draw the VGA cable for the Lilliput, because I'm still not sure how the Lilliput is connected. Is it as simple as running the VGA extension and USB extension from the rear of the car up to the screen?
    • I listed the DC-DC power supply as an Opus 150W, but I may downgrade to a 90w if I feel its not necessary to power all of those components. I'm mostly worried about the Lilliput, since I'm not clear as to whether I have to have it connected to a molex yet.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanklsc

Originally posted by Bailey
    Is it as simple as running the VGA extension and USB extension from the rear of the car up to the screen?
    Yup! Thats it. Some people have extended the mini din connector, but the way you describe will be great as well. Just different ways of doing the same thing.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

wow i like it. Good luck with it, make sure you keep us up to date with your progress reports
      CarPC Status:
      [||..........] 12%: Planning

Have:
      IRman PS2 Remote USB 2.0 Powered Hub Backup HD

Coming Soon:
      Aopen Pandora Celeron M 1.4 CPU 256/512 DDR2 So-DIMM RAM Lilliput 7" Touchscreen VGA Car Power Supply (M/Opus)

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
        Yup! Thats it. Some people have extended the mini din connector, but the way you describe will be great as well. Just different ways of doing the same thing.
        Ohh I get it. If I extend the mini din connector, I may have trouble upgrading in the future. Its better to just run the two cables. I wouldn't be much harder anyway.

Comment

My suggestion to you - run the 12v+ and amp turn on on one side of the car, and the rest on the other. You will thank me.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dmurray14
            My suggestion to you - run the 12v+ and amp turn on on one side of the car, and the rest on the other. You will thank me.

Dan
            Funny you mentioned it, it turns out it will be easier to run the 12V up along my radiator and upside the passenger side. There is a grommet there that will be easy to punch a hole in. Why did you mention it though?

Comment

...you want to keep the "sound" wires separate from the "voltage" wires, you get less interference that way.
              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

But... cars have speakers on both sides. So running the power near one of them is sort of inevitable.

Comment

yes, but not *directly* beside them. Just keep them seperated, they dont have to be on opposite sides of the car.
                  2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Here is the second draft. Not enough changes for a new thread. I drew the VGA, moved the 12V source, and put power from the opus to the Lilliput. I think thats it.

When I do the actual install I'll make sure not to tie the speaker and power wires together or anything, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                      ...you want to keep the "sound" wires separate from the "voltage" wires, you get less interference that way.

It is not so important with speaker wire, because the signal has already been amplified. The real issues occur when you run an audio signal wire next to power wires. This sometimes causes a little interferance, and then that small amount of interference is amplified by the amplifier.

Comment

You need to keep audio signal and power cables *at least* 18" apart
                        '96 Chevy Cavalier - EPIA M10000, Win2K,MediaCar, Deluo GPS Mouse with Routis, 60GB external HD, 7" widescreen monitor from DigitalWW.

'00 Jeep Wrangler - planning stage

What can BROWN do for you?

Comment

Originally posted by b_nom
                          You need to keep audio signal and power cables *at least* 18" apart
                          and also, you need to keep your computer case at least a hundred thousand miles away from any cellular towers.

Comment

Newbie question here, what is amp-on?

Sorry for being offtopic, just researching before I put my plan together.
                            2004 Mazda3s

Comment

I think he is referring to the remote wire to turn on the amp.
                              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Working...
                              X